Black friday and consumption

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Black friday and consumption

Postby danny1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:29 pm

This Black Friday thing is embarrassing. Marketing folk certainly do a great job in brainwashing humans into thinking we need this shite. Same in the surf insdustry.

However can we ever turn the tide of consumption with the current economic model. Ie we have to consume to get out of recesssion.

things are broken!
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Re: Black friday and consumption

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Yes, the current economic thinking is farked. We either slip into hyperinflation or crash into it. QE3,4,5,6, etc or however many times they want to pretend printing money will fix the problems caused by growth stimulated by debt can only go on for so long. The bomb is ticking. One more North Rock style run on the banks and it's all over. Unless we can go to war soon. But even that probably won't help as the war machine has been doing it's part since WW2. Keynesian worked when there was more play in the system. Problem is every system comes under strain when it reaches critical mass; sewage, roads, fiscal debt creation. We need a new way of governance that wasn't designed while the world was still watching B&W tv.

But then again I may be completely looney :shock:
Poo Stance

Postby Black » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Poo Stance wrote: We need a new way of governance that wasn't designed while the world was still watching B&W tv.

But then again I may be completely looney :shock:
Its called the Green Party! :P
And you can vote for it too!!!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby majordom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:40 pm

repair recycle and reuse

it doesnt have to be hair shirt stuff either - a 2 grand handmade suit made from english wool
woven here is far more environmentlally friendly than a chinese made hoodie
over its much longer lifecycle

choose once choose wisely
majordom

Postby waxer00 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:58 pm

thought i`d share this with you it`s nearly off topic but not quite.
i overheard a conversation between a customer of mine and a guy who owns an underwater digger!! a sort of cross between a submarine and something bob the builder might hire out to do some groundwork.
anyway the conversation touched on the fact that he was getting lots of offshore windfarm work .he also made it clear that he thought the whole renewable windfarm thing was a complete waste of time economically speaking compared to all the other alternatives.(an odd admission considering whats transpires)
i thought to myself that he has a point when it comes to the supposed inefficiencies of wind farms and the claims that they are only operational for 19% of the time due to lack of wind, or ironically too much wind!
he nearly had me siding with him until he let slip his dayly rate that he charges.....................................over 3000 grand a day.......over 3000 a day . :shock:
i thinks to myself ,no fuckin wonder renewables are proving to be expensive with people like that on the gravy train wtf.
what a fucked up world we live in.
waxer00

Postby flacky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:24 pm

It's not the world that's fucked up...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby roberdy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:17 pm

this is a bit cynical but it doesn't really seem to matter what aspirational, potentially world saving ideas anyone comes up with, some cnut will always take advantage of it, underwater digger man for example. There is a bit of a debacle going on in Edinburgh just now over Council-dictated repair work that was carried out by council appointed building companies and was then charged back the to the building owners, apparently they had little say in the work or the finish or the cost and consequently got fucked over royally by corrupt and colluding councillors.

So many people seem to get into power and think it is a license to rip of the rest of the world, from council car parking in cornwall to idiot inepts in Aberdeen.

Not that I am saying we should just not bother, I do my bit, recycle as much as I can, reduce, reuse, recycle where I can, reduced my carbon footprint by getting a local job again (although trips to Oz might not have helped my enviro-karma)! Am still riding a bike I bought 5 years ago, keep it in good shape an ride to work a couple of times a week. Its very easy to be sucked into the consumerism lifestyle though and working with other consultants, especially from the big offices in London and Manchester can be a real struggle when they are used to just doing whatever, whenever and just charging it in.

Hmm, did I actually make a point there? More whisky, see, I am recycling water and old wine barrels :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby danny1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Why do people think they need stuff that is useless?
danny1

Postby Black » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Hmm, did I actually make a point there? More whisky, see, I am recycling water and old wine barrels :)
Alcohol is a very efficient fuel whether it goes through a biological system or a mechanical one! :-)
Black

Postby Black » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:00 pm

danny1 wrote:Why do people think they need stuff that is useless?

Useless to one is useful to another. Just different perspectives?
Black

Postby danny1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:23 pm

danny1

Postby Black » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Ok I'm convinced, that is really scary. :shock:

Interestingly the youtube ad with it is asking me about meditation!!!
Black

Postby Leedsol » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Ha ha that's funny but you know, it's no different to bars being busy on a New Years Eve or Friday night or a mad dash to book buy a valentine card or Christmas food, its all because someone else is telling you to have fun or that you have to do x at y time or your a freak. Wife got a cheap(er) IPAD2 today so musn't grumble, she'll be off mine now
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby flacky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Not sure anyone here can walk tall on consumerism while we're on super speed broadband... Another thing we have talked ourselves into "needing"... And smartphones, and how come the same standard wetsuit that was warm enough for us 10 years ago just doesn't cut it anymore? Stick us all back in caves and soon enough one of us will want to put a door on it, then a fence round the garden, then before you know it we've got a phone line and cable tv... I'm comfortable with my consumerism, I work fucking hard for it and I'd rather have my 42" viera tv than leave the money in the bank for them bastards to wheel and deal with.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Leedsol » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Aye and I got some leather upper UGG boots from from the Ugg shop in Manchester the other week. Always thought they were for girls but mate bought some and they looked damn warm. Not bought any shoes, boots in at least 7 years and been in my tk maxx £15 vans for the last 4 years. Thought bugger it why not and bloody hell are they warm, been an idiot wearing trainers in winter all these years. Bought those, a rab coat and a £7 shirt in the John Lewis sale this year and that's all I've bought - other than new 8mm xcel boots, going mad this year on the spending...
Leedsol

Postby flacky » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:28 am

eBay clothes for me, if needed. My wardrobe consists of free t shirts ivd had for years and charity shop jeans. Mrs finds it funny I still own the same clothes I wore on our first date... I tell her it's too special to throw... Always thinking!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Kamikaze » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:49 am

Leedsol wrote:Aye and I got some leather upper UGG boots...

Kamikaze

Postby Leedsol » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:11 am

Lol

They look nowt like the wag ones, more like timberland-digging a hole here eh
Leedsol

Postby Philshoz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Leedsol wrote:Lol

They look nowt like the wag ones, more like timberland-digging a hole here eh

I biiiiiiiggg hole.... :oops:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Marketing MindFucks for Gullible People
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Leedsol » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Check these out you motherlickers - http://www.uggaustralia.co.uk/waterproo ... GB,sc.html

bit removed from Luke Stedman's dad's original idea but -20c waterproof and great job done in frosty then sodden Llyn yesterday. £14 tkmaxx vans now my cycling shoes
Leedsol

Postby flacky » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:43 pm

Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Kamikaze » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Leedsol wrote:Check these out you motherlickers - http://www.uggaustralia.co.uk/waterproo ... GB,sc.html

bit removed from Luke Stedman's dad's original idea but -20c waterproof and great job done in frosty then sodden Llyn yesterday. £14 tkmaxx vans now my cycling shoes

Well next time the "What weeders look like in real life comes up" We are sorted:-

Kamikaze

Postby flacky » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 pm

I love Black Friday, got the kids a kindle fire each for 100. Happy days!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Chris F » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 am

roberdy wrote: Am still riding a bike I bought 5 years ago

Is that to make up for the brand new boards you buy 2 or 3 of a year? :lol:
Chris F

Postby Kamikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:54 am

Just paid £10.27 for a coffe sandwich and muffin at costa! And people moan about how much fuel costs! I nearly walked out

Still at least they pay tax spose.
Kamikaze

Postby Chris F » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Coffee Mug.
Chris F

Postby waxer00 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:37 pm

a coffee sandwich ...yuck!
waxer00

Postby Kamikaze » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Should have been coffee, sandwich and a muffin

fat fingers are to blame
Kamikaze

Postby shackattack2 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 am

This system of fractional lending which has been the basis of the "Federal" Reserve financial scam for years has been doomed to fail. It's based on the assumption of perpetual growth, however its a scientific fact there are limited resources available. People are now wanting to cash in their chips and are realising there are no resources to back up the "i promise to pay the bearer on demand......." mantra. Which is lowering consumer confidence in economic systems and consequently devaluing markets and currencies.

If you follow the money trail from the bottom to the top, you hit the "federal" reserve, and thats where the buck ends. These people have a long history of unethical workings they employ to maintain their power.

I beieve in a free market economy based on decentralised power; the current one is bulls##t with power centralised to few.

If you have savings in a bank, my advice is to invest it in physical resources such as Gold and Silver :

http://www.libertybullion.co.uk/
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Next

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)