Guide Dogs for the Blind

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Guide Dogs for the Blind

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:07 am

Just spent the night with a guy I used to know that was the manager of a bar up the West End of Glasgow - Mexico bar called Chimmy Chungas.

He lost his sight through Type 1 diabetes about 7 years ago.

Really humbling to see how his dog has given him a new lease of life, allowing him to lead as normal a life as possible. The guy's brand new, just can't see............................ think about that.

Anyway, this was a quiz night fund raiser for guide dogs for the blind, an organisation not funded by Govt but wholly through donations - given me a jolt at this time of excess.

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/index.php?id=7
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Re: Guide Dogs for the Blind

Postby waxer00 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:23 am

you guys might want to consider becoming guide dog puppy trainers.we are on our second puppy .you give it basic training for a year and then it goes off to puppy college for extensive training and then on to a blind person.there is no financial outlay just your time and they are great fun to have around and also for a very good cause.
mezza crizza folks.
waxer00

Postby defever » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 am

Brilliant. And excellent news of your friend!

In future we may be useless without dogs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20614593
defever

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:47 am

Nice one Waxer - never knew anything about that side of it .......... we have a wee Jack Russell , two years old, but I would have given the guide dog puppy thing serious consideration. Wonder if you are allowed another dog in the house as well as the puppy :? missus is saying we should get another one , I'm not keen but if it was a guide dog puppy ????

Amazing things going on with dogs, ability to sniff cancers, using them to tell their diabetic owners when they are going hypo / hyper glaecemic , heard on the radio that they are being trained to alert epileptic owners when they notice the signs of a seizure coming on so the owners can move to a safe area etc...... all pretty amazing.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby waxer00 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:27 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:. Wonder if you are allowed another dog in the house as well as the puppy

they won`t mind at all.lots of puppy trainers have their ownn dawgs.
waxer00

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)