Trumped Take 2

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Trumped Take 2

Postby c-lad fantastic » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:01 am

Another stretch of coastline sacrificed for a golf course.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17099679
As long as the money men are happy.
c-lad fantastic

Re: Trumped Take 2

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Get Pappa Woolacombe on the case
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby swiggy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Will access to portballintrae be affected? Hard to tell from the map in that link
swiggy

Postby c-lad fantastic » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:47 am

I don't think so. The course only seems to come close to the beach at the north end. Most people would surf at the rivermouth end of the beach.
c-lad fantastic

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Well, its the 2nd to last dune system on the north coast that doesn't have a golf course on it.... guess the powers that be in Stormont want to be consistent. Apparently the 11 other existing courses aren't enough.

NT follow up statement is here: http://ntpressoffice.wordpress.com/2013 ... velopment/

Edit: It send before I'd added this...

Access to beach shouldn't be affected but I'd be more concerned about the shifts in sediment movement with much of the dune system being disturbed/fixed and thus the changes to the sand/shingle banks. Also that Bushmills local businesses will suffer with the all in hotel complex and retail units away from the town meaning little spend in the area and majority of monies leaving the country.

The "200 + jobs" are laughable... 150 will be temporary at best, 40-45 will be low paid service level leaving the final 5 'top end' to be outsourced no doubt.

And with the existing all North coast area bed occupation rate for accommodation sitting at a struggling 60% how they intend to make a 5star luxury hotel break-even let alone turn an profit is beyond me.

Northern Ireland, Infact the whole island of Ireland depends on Tourism as its primary resource of income now-a-days. Its Number one resource to offer that industry is its natural beauty... lose that and its screwed. :roll:
With 73% of the planet under water perhaps Earth should be re-named Ocean
PapaWoolacombe

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)