Cowspiracy

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Re: Cowspiracy

Postby swiggy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:41 pm

evo0420 wrote:Great, another self-righteous vegetarian. Why do the majority of veggies i've met feel the need to tell me how they are essentially 'better' than me!? Get off your high horses...I like meat, you dont like meat, i get it. Get over yourselves.

^^ Haha typical response when confronted by things such as environmental destruction/the health implications of too much red meat/hormones/antibiotics in your diet. "I like meat so I don't give a shit". Caveman response really, keep those blinders on mate.

If I saw you pouring used motor oil into the ocean I would feel the need to explain why it was not a great thing to be doing. Maybe you are some redneck type of dude who couldn't care less about that either. Maybe I like burning plastic bags in the street, somebody would probably winge at me after a while. We are all stuck on the planet together, I think when it comes to environmental and societal problems we need people to discuss things like this because the average person either doesn't care about their fellow person or is ignorant about the implications of their lifestyle choices.

Maybe a lot of veggies like meat, but have decided that the downsides for the world (and the millions of people in the world who are going hungry because of our meat production practices (not here or in other rich countries, but it is screwing over the poor and underprivileged of the world as we clear land to be used for grazing animals for us rich boys instead of feeding the indigenous people).

Maybe the reason a lot of veggies still like to point out all the problems with the meat industry is they are fed up of answering stupid questions like "where do you get your protein from?" and other dumb things that meat eaters like to ask. I guarantee you that the average vegetarian hears far more bullshit from meat-eaters than the other way around. Most people become vegetarian after thinking about it, doing research and making a real decision that they feel is right. Most people eat meat just because its what they have done all their life, they haven't thought about it and they don't know how to cook without it, it takes more skill and imagination to make really tasty veggie food, you can't just boil some vegetables and call it good..

I have zero issue with occasionally/even frequently eating sustainable meat if you want, but that just isn't the reality for 99% of people in our industrial food system.

I'm glad you went to all the effort of registering here just to post nothing constructive though
swiggy

Postby Philchapman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:56 am

/\ This above, and can you tell me where anyone said they were better than anyone else? No high horses, just the demonstrated facts.

Completely up to you what you do with the info.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby waxer00 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 am

Nice one swiggy .well put
waxer00

Postby swiggy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:06 am

Didn't mean to go on such a big rant, and I know nothing in the world is black and white, the dudes pointless comment just annoyed me
swiggy

Postby evo0420 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Nibble nibble...

Thats exactly the response I expected, thanks.Typical veggie logic that all meateaters must be environment hating, plastic bag burning rednecks. It was worth signing up for that.

Im not against people being vegetarian by any stretch, i've just had it thrust down my neck (no pun intended) so many times lately that its beginning to grate somewhat
evo0420

Postby WP101 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Last edited by WP101 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
WP101

Postby WP101 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:59 pm

Last edited by WP101 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
WP101

Postby swiggy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:25 am

i've just had it thrust down my neck (no pun intended) so many times lately that its beginning to grate somewhat

Your only posts on this forum are in one of maybe 3 or 4 (that I have seen anyway) threads in the last year discussing veggie/meat issues, out of thousands of threads. Its hardly being forced down your throat, click next thread. I think you were looking for it :lol:
swiggy

Postby Vince Noir » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:55 am

i would completely disagree with the above points that red meat makes you susceptible to disease. the studies linking saturated fats and heart disease etc, and have been proven wrong.

the hormone/antibiotics thing is a huge issue in the states. cows pumped full of insulin growth factor (a potent stimulus for cancer). i wont touch any american products sold over here, as even tho we (UK/EU) regulate things a bit stricter, stuff like betty crockets (or whatever it is, those premade cake mixes and icing in tubs etc) , still have trace levels of IGF in them.
Vince Noir

Postby WP101 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Last edited by WP101 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
WP101

Postby Vince Noir » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:47 am

that webpage doesnt discriminate between red meat and processed meat very well. two completely different things. it also cherry picks studies to back up its claims, but ignores studies such as;

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articlei ... ultClick=3

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2068 ... stractPlus

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2007 ... stractPlus

And there are bits of that webpage that can be paraphrased as "we still dont have all the evidence to support the claims we are making".

i can also pull webpages to support my views. but again, these sorts of pages have the same issues, picking studies that back up their claims, ignoring the ones that counter them.

http://chriskresser.com/red-meat-it-does-a-body-good

sure, if all you eat is mechanically reclaimed hotdogs filled with god knows what, then your asking for trouble. but that is not the same as eating organically produced, clean beef or chicken.i could pick studies out all day that show a link between X and cancer or X and cholesterol, etc. but the truth is we still cant definitively say what diet we should be eating. Evolution hand't planned on us reaching such old ages, where the effects of our diets actually manifest into health conditions
Vince Noir

Postby bakers » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:50 pm

I couldn't live with out meat in my life. I went to tgi Fridays on Thursday and had the jack Daniel chicken starter, 8oz stake , half a rack of ribs, 6 shrimps and smashed in half my mates salmon.
Im proud that in 1 meal I managed to eat 5 different types of meat, land, sea and air.
bakers

Postby Black » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:28 pm

bakers wrote:I couldn't live with out meat in my life. I went to tgi Fridays on Thursday and had the jack Daniel chicken starter, 8oz stake , half a rack of ribs, 6 shrimps and smashed in half my mates salmon.
Im proud that in 1 meal I managed to eat 5 different types of meat, land, sea and air.

A-hem, yes you can live without meat, its called vegetarianism, clearly something of no interest to you! Your 8oz stake must've been a bit chewy!! :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Leven » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:33 pm

bakers wrote:I couldn't live with out meat in my life. I went to tgi Fridays on Thursday and had the jack Daniel chicken starter, 8oz stake , half a rack of ribs, 6 shrimps and smashed in half my mates salmon.

Proud that you've eaten massed produced, processed food, full of salt, sugar, preservatives, chemicals, and god knows what else?!
Leven

Postby bakers » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Shafted by my spelling again, sorry, *steak !
Ye being a vegeterian isn't for me. When I have a meal I feel like the meat is the main part and everything else is just extra.
Everything these days is full of chemicals, I usually do try and eat as clean as possible but sometimes you gotta treat yourself to something you love.
bakers

Postby Kamikaze » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Leven wrote:
Proud that you've eaten massed produced, processed food, full of salt, sugar, preservatives, chemicals, and god knows what else?!

mmmmmmmmmmmm what else indeed.
Kamikaze

Postby Philchapman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:41 am

Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby flacky » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:47 pm

I've tried a few times to go veggie. Meat's bad. I don't mean from a physical health POV, I mean just generally. If you think eating meat's ok, then I suggest you go home, kill your dog, cook it, eat it. If you want to get all pissy and tell me your dog's not the same as a cow or pig, go home, kill your sister/wife/husband/dad, lock your dog in a room with the body for a few days and see if the dog's starved or tucked in. It's an animal.

I'm not judging anyone, but taking a life to satisfy a urge is wrong in any form. IMO.

I still do it, and probably always will. And yes, I think that makes me a worse person than someone who doesn't.

Dinner today, Chick Peas and peppers in a tomato sauce.

With Mackerel and chorizo... Meh.

Oh, I've also got a dog. I wouldn't kill her though, even though if push came to shove, she would happily eat me.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Leven » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Leven

Postby Philchapman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Did you watch it? Thoughts? I thought it was reasonably balanced for a 'mainstream' show, but I wonder how an individuals bias influences what they took from the program. To me it was a confirmation of every reason there is to be Vegan. He didn't quite go that far, but the main recommendations were certainly going in that direction... 'Cut down on ALL meat, and don't eat ANY processed meat products'.

Chocolate lab. flacky? :lol:

There are plenty of documented stories of Dogs sitting by their dead owners and NOT eating them, to the point of starvation.
That's loyalty for you.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Leven » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Leven

Postby Philchapman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:43 pm

/\ Yes, worth sticking with. 'Massive willful ignorance'. "Quite so, quite so".
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Philchapman » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Cornish Premiere screening at Falmouth University, 24th Oct, 7pm.

To book your seat search for 'Cowspiracy Cornwall' on Eventbrite.

£4/£2 conc. suggested donation.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Philchapman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:31 pm

This is an incredible film. If you consider yourself an 'environmentalist' then watch this film. If you surf, watch this film (re: sources of ocean pollution), If you have a few Eco lightbulbs and take short showers thinking that you're 'eco', watch this film. I thought I was reasonably clued up on this subject, but I had my eyes opened wide by this film. I hope everyone gets the chance to see it a.s.a.p. For a more detailed review;

http://driftwoodvegans.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... eview.html
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Black » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philchapman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:11 pm

Cowspiracy is on youtube right now... not sure for how long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voynIOMBUKQ

EDIT: Well that didn't stay up long, it's gone.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Philchapman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:45 am

Now on NETFLIX.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Kamikaze » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:46 pm

On a side note I ate an entire "Florentine Steak" earlier this week, It was amazing, all 750g of it, though I do feel a bit swizzed that I didn't get the 1kg version.
Kamikaze

Postby Philchapman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:34 pm

It's like this:

Whether you realise it or not, whether you care about it or not...

If you eat meat, dairy, or other intensively farmed animal products you are directly contributing to the sum total of suffering, pollution, and environmental destruction of the planet.

If you avoid eating meat, dairy, or other animal products you are lessening the sum total of suffering, pollution, and environmental destruction of the planet.

"May all sentient beings achieve happiness and liberation from suffering". -from the Buddhist tradition.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Kamikaze » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:07 pm

All life is suffering - Buddha
Kamikaze

PreviousNext

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)