Cowspiracy

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Cowspiracy

Postby WP101 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:23 am

Last edited by WP101 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
WP101

Re: Cowspiracy

Postby Vince Noir » Wed May 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Why anyone would want to go vegan (other than for some sense of morality),is just beyond me.
Vince Noir

Postby WP101 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:26 pm

Last edited by WP101 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
WP101

Postby Vince Noir » Wed May 07, 2014 1:28 pm

WP101 wrote:
Seems pretty obvious why someone would want to cut out meat

mental illness ?
Vince Noir

Postby WP101 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Last edited by WP101 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
WP101

Postby Vince Noir » Wed May 07, 2014 5:32 pm

lighten up lol

you can still eat meat. there is still plenty of sustainable and farmed fish to be had. but i agree it is stupid that more and more rainforest gets cut down to produce more meat, despite the fact that we throw away about 1/3 of the food we (the world) produces
Vince Noir

Postby dogtowatch » Wed May 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Lighten up! you're frigging while Rome burns dude.
dogtowatch

Postby WP101 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:25 pm

WP101

Postby Black » Wed May 07, 2014 9:33 pm

I've lived long enough to see people freaking out about meat they eat during the various previous disease scares and deaths... CJD, BSE, Anthrax etc.
All about the way we rear/transport/treat domestic animals fuelled by greed. During some of those events I was vegetarian and I remember thinking "Glad I haven't eaten any of that diseased shit for the last few years, I won't die next week!" When CJD was popping up all over there was no guarantee whether it would stop at any point - really!
It is amazing how you just don't have to take on board all that shit if you are vegetarian, like beef or horse?? Hormone ridden or steroids? CJD no thanks!
I'm not vegetarian now but if I had to kill... maybe I'm a hypocrite
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Vince Noir » Wed May 07, 2014 9:35 pm

i wasnt being over defensive. i just love steak. (that was another joke by the way).

personally, i am not going to give up meat or fish. i couldnt hack it as a veggie. I have no issue with your choice not to eat meat due to environmental reason, if thats what you choose to do. but when i read these things it just reminds me that its not an isolated issue, its part of a bigger problem. the problem being that we are fucking this planet up beyond belief and we are heading for a disaster which would make the last two centuries of world war and disease/famine look insignificant . There are so many threats to the planet, not just eating meat. over population, lack of clean water and enough food, ecosystem decay and reduction of biodiversity, energy crisis, continual burning of fossil fuels...the list is pretty long, and we aren't doing enough to tackle any of them. these are the biggest threats to national security, yet nothing is going to change rapidly when we have a government and set of politicians that are perpetually bickering and trying to convince us that our enemies are radical islam and immigration. until we tackle these problems as a country and they become important to everyone, then not enough people care. its totally sad and depressing but its true.

if there was a farm that produced carbon neutral meat, that would be cool. but it would be pretty expensive, and its hard enough to make a living nowadays as it is. although after reading this, i did see that the pack of green beans i cooked for dinner were flown in from kenya....i thought " that is fucking stupid"...i already buy veg from the farm shop down the road when i can, but again, its just another problem that hasnt got an easy solution. We fly in all sort of fruit and veg from around the world, covered in pesticides and chemicals. its just nuts.

Palm oil is another ridiculous state of affairs entirely...
Vince Noir

Postby Black » Wed May 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Vince Noir wrote:i wasnt being over defensive. i just love steak. (that was another joke by the way).

personally, i am not going to give up meat or fish. i couldnt hack it as a veggie. I have no issue with your choice not to eat meat due to environmental reason, if thats what you choose to do. but when i read these things it just reminds me that its not an isolated issue, its part of a bigger problem. the problem being that we are fucking this planet up beyond belief and we are heading for a disaster which would make the last two centuries of world war and disease/famine look insignificant . There are so many threats to the planet, not just eating meat. over population, lack of clean water and enough food, ecosystem decay and reduction of biodiversity, energy crisis, continual burning of fossil fuels...the list is pretty long, and we aren't doing enough to tackle any of them. these are the biggest threats to national security, yet nothing is going to change rapidly when we have a government and set of politicians that are perpetually bickering and trying to convince us that our enemies are radical islam and immigration. until we tackle these problems as a country and they become important to everyone, then not enough people care. its totally sad and depressing but its true.

if there was a farm that produced carbon neutral meat, that would be cool. but it would be pretty expensive, and its hard enough to make a living nowadays as it is. although after reading this, i did see that the pack of green beans i cooked for dinner were flown in from kenya....i thought " that is fucking stupid"...i already buy veg from the farm shop down the road when i can, but again, its just another problem that hasnt got an easy solution. We fly in all sort of fruit and veg from around the world, covered in pesticides and chemicals. its just nuts.

Palm oil is another ridiculous state of affairs entirely...
So vote Green! If you vote for what you believe, even if it does not achieve parliamentary members, the other parties will take that on board if it has impact on votes. Vote for your beliefs everyone, except that xenophobic cock Farage! :lol:
Black

Postby WP101 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:18 am

WP101

Postby Matt Rose » Thu May 08, 2014 9:02 am

Matt Rose

Postby Philchapman » Thu May 08, 2014 11:47 am

/\ Good for him (and us all).

Saw this recently. http://www.happycow.net/blog/brazilian- ... e-piglets/

Why anyone would want to eat meat (except for lack of education), is just beyond me.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Kamikaze » Thu May 08, 2014 5:16 pm

If god intended for us to not eat cows he wouldn't have made them taste so nice!

Anyone here from Brighton? care to share how having the greens in charge is going?
Kamikaze

Postby Vince Noir » Fri May 09, 2014 9:52 am

Philchapman wrote:
Why anyone would want to eat meat (except for lack of education), is just beyond me.

- its tastes awesome

- good source of protein and micronutrients

- we are animals that are meant to eat meat.
Vince Noir

Postby Philchapman » Fri May 09, 2014 12:52 pm

We are animals that are intelligent enough to weigh up many variables and make choices.

We aren't "meant" to anything (Apart from breathe/eat/drink/shit/piss). How we do that is our choice.

If it's not a choice, then it's an addiction.... and peoples addiction to meat is killing the natural world. We can't survive on ANYTHING if that goes tits up...
Which it will eventually the way things are going, unless people cut down on meat consumption, among other things.

If you want to live (on average) 6-8 years longer, then going veggie is a great choice. If you want to die sooner, then eating meat is a great choice.
If you want to cut down your Cancer risk, Heart Disease risk, and the risk of dying from western medicine, then going veggie is a great choice.
The main thing is, it's got to come from you. You've got to want to make a difference. Many people don't give a fuck about anyone else.
Until your consciousness is elevated enough ( :lol: ) to want to make that choice, then you're not going to "want" to. That's okay too.

-Lots of other foods taste awesome. Actually, most of the taste of meat products comes from the cooking method/seasoning, which can be just as easily applied to non-meat products.

-Lots of other foods are good sources of protein and micro-nutrients, without the harmful "side effects" of meat.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Vince Noir » Fri May 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Philchapman wrote:If you want to live (on average) 6-8 years longer, then going veggie is a great choice. If you want to die sooner, then eating meat is a great choice.
If you want to cut down your Cancer risk, Heart Disease risk, and the risk of dying from western medicine, then going veggie is a great choice.

do you have any evidence for these points ? and what do you mean by "dying from western medicine" ?
Vince Noir

Postby Philchapman » Fri May 09, 2014 6:03 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10 ... 69415.html

Also, read "The China Study" and "Whole" by T. Colin Campbell.

http://www.heartattackproof.com/ (Good enough for Bill Clinton when he had to overcome his heart disease, or die).

Dying from western medicine= http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... t-two.aspx

If you're Veggie, you're less likely to get ill (If you're eating a good veggie diet), and so less likely to come into contact with western medicine.

Obviously, there's always going to be exceptions to the rules, like the meat eating chain smoking whisky drinking 110 year old.

Things aren't as bad here as the U.S., thankfully, but where they lead we tend to follow... like the current obesity "epidemic".
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Vince Noir » Fri May 09, 2014 6:58 pm

i shall have a read
Vince Noir

Postby morris » Fri May 09, 2014 8:03 pm

The Greens in the South West only need to gain 0.7% of the vote to achieve an MEP...
morris

Postby Black » Fri May 09, 2014 9:49 pm

morris wrote:The Greens in the South West only need to gain 0.7% of the vote to achieve an MEP...

It was the European elections back in the day that the Greens polled really well in and made the main parties all suddenly introduce (copied) environmental policies. Now you may have noticed the same effect when UKIP polled well recently and heyho suddenly immigration is important to those same main parties, they want those votes back! But the Greens are not suddenly jumping on that bandwagon as they have real principles and policies and treat the electorate with respect, that's why they deserve a good long look.

Hey Kam - Caroline Lucas is Brighton MP - Difficult to find a better person in parliament! :-)
Black

Postby Ivydog » Fri May 09, 2014 10:03 pm

Kamikaze wrote:If god intended for us to not eat cows he wouldn't have made them taste so nice!

Anyone here from Brighton? care to share how having the greens in charge is going?

I spend a few days a month in Brighton for work..
Bad points :
£25 for 4 hours to park at least in every car park..!!
Local council no longer collects the rubbish , the contract has been given to French firm who seem to always be on strike.
Weeks worth of rubbish just left rotting on the pavements..

Good points :
More cycle paths and routes being added , to deter less motorists from driving into the city.
Hence the parking fees.
Less cars means less pollution in the city, but public transport in and out of the city is still expensive .

A lot of small independent businesses are suffering because of the lack of footfall as a result..

Other than that, not a lot different from when the local council was labour..
Ivydog

Postby WP101 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Last edited by WP101 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
WP101

Postby Philchapman » Sun May 11, 2014 2:39 pm

The people have spoken! http://vimeo.com/93185287

Water consumption. http://vimeo.com/93865589

Those "custodians of the countryside". http://vimeo.com/93867578
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Black » Sun May 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Molly you beauty! :-D

Thanks for those who voted!
Black

Postby Leven » Mon May 26, 2014 10:07 am

Black wrote:Molly you beauty! :-D

Thanks for those who voted!

Surely this isn't in reference to UKIP/the EU elections?!
Leven

Postby Philchapman » Mon May 26, 2014 10:46 am

/\ Molly Scott Cato, first ever Green MEP for the South West.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Black » Mon May 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Ah yes, sorry for the hijack and very little explanation! I was excited and this seemed like a related place to let it out.

Carry on Cowspiracy..... :arrow:
Black

Postby evo0420 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Great, another self-righteous vegetarian. Why do the majority of veggies i've met feel the need to tell me how they are essentially 'better' than me!? Get off your high horses...I like meat, you dont like meat, i get it. Get over yourselves.
evo0420

Next

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)