Cowspiracy

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Re: Cowspiracy

Postby Philchapman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:50 am

Indeed, but that's not an instruction or commandment! Shouldn't we try to alleviate some of that suffering where we can?

For some people the idea of giving up meat would be suffering, but for some it's the most effective way to lessen the sum total of suffering in the world, and no hardship whatsoever. In fact it's a much more positive way of life.

Have you watched COWSPIRACY yet? :D
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Philchapman » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:00 pm

Cowspiracy is still on Netflix in the U.K. folks. Anyone actually watched it?

It deals with water pollution issues crucial to us surfers, among many other things of slight importance, like the continuation of our species. It's a well made film that deals with practical solutions to many of the worlds problems, and is well worth 90 mins of your time. Just sayin'.

Anyway, they're making a new film too...

https://vimeo.com/152542741
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Kamikaze » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:21 pm

funny how this thread always seems to resurface when i've just eaten a steak.
Kamikaze

Postby Philchapman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:52 am

Maybe that's a sign? :p
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Kamikaze » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:01 pm

did i mention how i like steak almost as much as lardy cake?
Kamikaze

Postby Philchapman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:32 am

Wow, that's so interesting and relevant.

I would suggest that you eat them both for every meal (have you heard of the Darwin awards?), but that would just exacerbate the problems that the subject of this thread is trying to solve. Do you have anything VALID to add? This thread is about a film... have you watched it?
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Kamikaze » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:18 pm

no point really, meat is good for the environment.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/actually-ra ... 1419030738
Kamikaze

Postby Philchapman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:24 am

No it isn't. Watch Cowspiracy to find out why. That article was written by a Beef farmer. They're all running scared right now, trying to drum up more business. Plus it's in The Wall Street Journal, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who has a greater agenda than the truth... skip down to 'Climate Coverage' on this link...

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... et_Journal

Grass fed beef is commonly thought to be less harmful for the environment than intensively farmed beef, but if you watch Cowspiracy you'll see why it isn't the answer. Yes it harks back to those 'happier times' with all the 'happy cows' running around like we were taught in school, but even then it isn't great for the cows, who all end up with the same bolt to the head. Plus, there's this...

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/vegan-c ... ustainable

The same scientific facts are presented in Cowspiracy, in a much more digestible format. They visit a grass fed beef farm in the film, and chat to the owners. It's very educational. The owners freely admit it's not sustainable.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby lefty » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:14 am

go get em' phil
lefty

Postby Kamikaze » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:02 pm

saw this and thought of you.

Kamikaze

Postby Philchapman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Did you hear the one about the idiot who told the same joke day in and day out?

The first couple of days they were laughing with him. Then they were just laughing at him.

After a couple of weeks they just felt sorry for him.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Kamikaze » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:22 pm

And yet I haven't had to resort insulting the intelligence of others to try and make my point appear valid.

I'll leave you and Roy to it.
Kamikaze

Postby Philchapman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Insulting the intelligence of others? Where did I do that? And what's your point; that you like meat? I kinda got that early on in this thread.

That's your choice, if you're aware of all the facts. If you're not aware of all the facts then it's not a choice... it's just going along with something that you don't even question. No biggie, lots of people do that. They don't all feel the need to post photos of Steak though, do they?

This thread is about the film Cowspiracy, and although you haven't seen it yet, it's obviously starting to have an impact on you. :p

If by Roy you mean Roy Stewart then I don't think he's Vegan, or contributing to this thread. So your point is....?
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Philchapman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:45 am

What The health trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf44vLndiRM

The current epidemic of Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc., is knowingly encouraged by companies that profit from it. If you are currently eating the S.A.D. diet, you may want to watch this. It's an eye opening film. It shares some of the same topics as Cowspiracy, but goes deeper into the mutually profitable links between the food corporations, the pharmaceutical corporations, and the Government bodies and 'charities' who are supposed to be setting policy to keep people healthy, but are in fact doing the exact opposite. It also shows inspiring examples of people who have turned their lives around by changing their diets, and interviews world class athletes who follow a wholefoods plant based diet.

Watch the full film here...

http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby danny1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:05 pm

Just watched cowspiracey

Wow

Everyone should watch it.

I'm still integrating what I saw

I'm more worried fir my kids and there kids than I was

The doc has moved me and changed me
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Philchapman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:28 am

You're a day ahead Danny, it's April fools today! :lol:

No need for fear though. The only thing to fear is the current system carrying on as it is, and it will only do that if 'we' keep supporting it.
If enough people change and put into practice all the answers already available to us, then the world could be a much different place. It's all about the money.

And people ARE changing... Seeing through the BULL-shit diet that has been force fed to us from birth.

Related - Simon Amstell's film Carnage is on BBC iplayer for the next year. You can also find it on youtube.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04sh6zg
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby danny1 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:02 pm

No April fools mate . Serious illumination fir me watching that. Didn't have any red meat today... it's got me thinking about my fish consumption also. I work in Sustainability for 16 yrs and a combo of some recent experiences and docs like that have got me worried and thinking wtf do we do about population and our behaviour .
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Philchapman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:33 am

Nice one Danny. Total respect to you for having the courage to watch it, and comment about it on here.

The answer is as simple as changing what we put in our mouths. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. There's already enough food being grown to feed the current population many times over... if we don't feed 70% of it to animals first.

Look at the work of Dr. Michael Klaper, Dr. Micheal Greger, Dr. T Colin Campbell, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, etc., etc. (there's loads of them now) All medically trained professionals who are showing us the way to not only a better future for us all, but an essential future if things carry on as they are. It's going to happen anyway... much better coming from the bottom up (from OUR choice) than waiting until things are so bad that the government will dictate it from the top down. Actually, I think that's already starting to happen in subtle ways. You're going to be seeing a LOT more about plant based diets in the media in the coming few years as a result. There are even moves to change the layout of the 'food pyramid' to exclude meat and dairy as they are NOT essential nutrients. :D
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Philchapman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:50 am

Nearly forgot, it's the yearly Cornwall Vegan Festival today, at the Mount Pleasant Eco Park, Porthtowan.

Surf's flat. It's all free. Go along and get some free illumination, and most importantly some free food...

http://www.cornwallvegans.uk/cornwall-v ... ival-2017/
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Black » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Philchapman wrote:Nearly forgot, it's the yearly Cornwall Vegan Festival today, at the Mount Pleasant Eco Park, Porthtowan.

Surf's flat. It's all free. Go along and get some free illumination, and most importantly some free food...

http://www.cornwallvegans.uk/cornwall-v ... ival-2017/
I was otherwise engaged but sounds like it went very well.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philchapman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

Yup. Amazing turnout. Well beyond what they expected. 30 minute waits at some of the food vendors there were so many people, and some vendors running out of food by mid afternoon!

I had to have two falafel wraps (they were so good), a double chocolate cookie, some raw chocolates, and the best chocolate I have ever tasted, or am ever likely to taste, from one vendor (Solkiki.co.uk). That was as well as sampling the many free tasters on offer. It was hard, but somebody had to do it, you know, 'just for the animals'. :wink:
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Philchapman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Black » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:47 pm

Philchapman wrote:Life changing...

https://nutritionfacts.org/book/
Interesting. However this phrase is worrying: "Battling breast cancer? Consuming soy is associated with prolonged survival."
This is suggesting, as its all about consuming for health, that consuming soy will help survive breast cancer. Association is not causation and consuming soy will not do that.
Black

Postby Philchapman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:35 pm

I know next to nothing. I'd just like to state that for the record. I'm trying to learn though...

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/breast ... l-and-soy/
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Black » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:18 pm

I know nothing about soy & breast cancer either! It was just the terms used in their main advert which didn't mention any causation or "proof" that soy can help breast cancer. In the second video one quote also uses the term "association" too. Its one of my pet triggers when association is misconstrued as proof.
Black

Postby morris » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 pm

That event at Porthtowan was super busy! Probably one of the best attended (free) events I've been to up there. I'm not surprised that some vendors had run out - hopefully same again next year but perhaps even a little bigger?
morris

Postby Philchapman » Mon May 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Yep, that's the plan as far as I know. They have asked for suggestions to make next years even bigger and better.

A friend has just had a heart attack. He's the fittest person I have ever met for his age. He eats what he thinks is a healthy diet. It isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZJLsDEIx-M
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Philchapman » Mon May 22, 2017 3:17 pm

Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Black » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:12 am

New Scientist list of environmentally disastrous foods - Beef=No.1
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2125299-7-foods-you-should-avoid-to-help-feed-the-world/
Black

Postby Philchapman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:07 am

Nuts, bananas, and chocolate also in there. Now what the fuck am I going to eat? That's 30% of my diet. :lol:

What The Health is now on Netflix in the U.K. folks.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

PreviousNext

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)