Super dads! (for the dads)

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Super dads! (for the dads)

Postby danny1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:19 am

I sometimes struggle to think of ideas and games to play with the kids. There's nowt online really so thought I'd start a thread.

What are popular games with your kids? Tell us what it is and how you do it. Made up ones best.

I will get started with an easy one.

It's called "don't know where you are" game.

Put a blanket on the floor.
Wrap up said kid in blanket so they cant see anything.
Carry them like a santa sack- careful not to bang head
Make out you are going up or down stairs, in and out of rooms.

Then dump them in a hiding place - kitchen, cupboard, garden, back of car etc Even better if its dark.

The look on their face when they open the sack and are disorientated is mint.
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Re: Super dads! (for the dads)

Postby majordom » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:25 pm

they can call childline on 0800 1111
majordom

Postby Chris F » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:01 am

carrying kids around in an IKEA bag seems to amuse the hell out of them. maybe double bag to be safe!
Chris F

Postby danny1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:23 pm

sick thats the shizzle. haway dads whats your fav little game to get the kids amped?
danny1

Postby Chris F » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:38 am

Can't beat hide and seek. Hilarious how shit they are at hiding. The wrong side of a tree is a classic.
Chris F

Postby johnjohn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:46 am

Danny get the fuck back to mumsnet...

Ha well, go with it. I seem to remember they used to like being swung round by the legs. Used to make games out of the mundane stuff that has to be done - bathtime: pick 'em up in a towel and swing them about, run round the landing with 'em being planes. Each wants a longer go. My poor shoulders. Amazing really more bones weren't broken. Not sure I could do this now with the youngest being 6'2", a couple of stone heavier than me and not reticent.

These days I find that leaving the house for a couple of nights seems to work (my plan for the weekend, tho forecast will be the inevitable let down). Downside is having to come back and find larger bottles down the back of the sofa. And worse.
johnjohn

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Here’s what I remember , some inside, some in the garage , others outside.

Get a wee gun that fires foam darts or plastic bullets, set your wee plastic soldiers up the stairs with your best one at the top and try & shoot them down.

Use the guns to chase each other round the house – this went down well.

Elastic bands wars

We used to play this as kids, cut the tops of your laces, thread a pin through so it becomes a dart with the feathery end – take the inside out a BIC pen, insert dart , voila, a blow dart ideal for war games. Pre H&S.

Make potions in the kitchen – let them mix anything they want into a bowl, food colouring etc.

Let them go radge with cheap shaving foam in the bath / shower.

Get those crystals that turns their baths into wallpaper paste.

Get them in the garage / shed – let them use handsaws, drill, hammer etc – make a wee boat or plane.

Go a scary walk through the woods – we used to put sweets on an old ruined cottage wall and the kids would look for them in the dark – that way they were always keen to go for a dark walk and search with torches.

Summer one(sorry) – find a local clay pit and have a clay fight – cover yourself in the stuff – good for the skin.

Build a den in the woods – light a fire a fire and cook stuff, I use a wee square cut off the back of a fridge mesh for this.

Best man falls

Chin head videos

Snipes

1,2,3,4 I declare a thumb war, bow, kiss, fight

Rolled up newspapers , cello tape , then have swordfights – when they unravel , light them and let the kids run up and down the garden in the dark.

The best family game ever (summer again) - up on the Moray coast. One of my older lads started chucking muddy sand so everyone else started chucking stuff at him. He had to flee into waist deep water – he had to stay there for a ½ hr as me, the missus and his brothers threw stones at him – what a laugh we had – people walking by with disapproving scowls on their faces – the only rule was one stone at a time – this got a bit boring after a while so we upped it to a max of two at once. Fun for all the family – the game ended when he shouted he thought he was getting hypothermia.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby danny1 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Hahahah classics there I got loads of ammo now.

Got the kids 2 & 3.5 for 4 days on me own. Gonna def give half if the above a go!
danny1

Postby c-lad fantastic » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm

I just stick on a Peppa Pig DVD
c-lad fantastic

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:40 pm

^^ Hey C-Lad , was it you that I said I would try and look out TSP #100 - if so , I think I stopped my subscription around issue 94 - sorry.
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:27 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:^^ Hey C-Lad , was it you that I said I would try and look out TSP #100 - if so , I think I stopped my subscription around issue 94 - sorry.

Would have cut deeper if you'd said issue 99 :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:17 pm

^ nasty :lol:

I wonder if the kit / reviews/ waves etc in the mags will move on as much as it has in the last 20 years.

Unless there is a major breakthrough in materials / heating technology then I think we will all still be fully gimped up in thick rubber over winter for the foreseeable future. Same with board materials / honeycomb composites etc. Not saying that innovation is dead here but I think the leap from beaver-tail wetsuits, through the crazy neon colours up to where we are today will not be repeated - I can't see where the quantum leap in performance will come from.

What I'm trying to say is that if I looked back to TSP#94 in 15 years time, I don't think the advances will be as great as they have been over the last 15 years.

Random mid-storm musings - it's mental up here right now :shock:
ATTMFKH

Postby MJE » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:43 pm

^ I was sat on the shitter thinking about that yesterday. As you do.
I reckon if there's room for advance anywhere it could be heated suits / vests. There's got to be room to improve on the stuff out there, materials, batteries etc. And bring costs down.
I reckon neoprenes gone about as far as it can: you can line it with bamboo and wool and cat fur etc and think up new season sales gimmicks but in the end its only going to be so warm / flexible for a given thickness.
Also how long till someone makes a suit with a built in camera in the hood visor linked to a go pro in a waist pocket or something?

On the kid's thing: we used to play a variation of hide and seek called the Marmalise game. You tell the kids the marmalise monsters coming and they better hide up stairs. They leg it.
You stomp about downstairs being the monster then go up stairs shouting you're going to marmalise them.
Make a song and dance of finding them then tickle them to death when you do.
Sometimes results in hysterical tears. And nightmares.
MJE

Postby c-lad fantastic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:13 am

ATTMFKH wrote:^^ Hey C-Lad , was it you that I said I would try and look out TSP #100 - if so , I think I stopped my subscription around issue 94 - sorry.

Yeah that was me. No problem. Thanks for checking it out.
c-lad fantastic

Postby danny1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:06 am

Day 1 of 4 daddy day care. All women have gone on holiday. Got a 2yo & 3.5yo for 4 days4 nights.

Will be trying out all of the above.

Please post anymore boredom busting games in here

PS there's decent swell throughout too
danny1

Postby Black » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:25 am

Just give them a big cardboard box to play with - a classic but always fun.
Also let them get really filthy maybe by fingerpainting or something then chuck them in the bath to clean/play with squirty bottles etc. Do this on the last day and you'll be presenting two squeaky clean kids for mum to admire!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby tootes » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:50 pm

free museums - its amazing how many are free theses days, we took the kids to the childhood and main museum in Edinburgh yesterday, and as it was sunday parked at the bottom of the royal mile free as well :)
£16 for coffee and cake in the café though! Usually we take packed lunches.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)