Vinyl to digital

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Wondering if any folk here have digitised their vinyl & how they went about it. Also was it successful?

I currently have no kit to play vinyl and was looking at some of the cheap usb decks but they seem to have very mixed reviews without spending hundreds on one just to convert 80 LPs.
Also thinking of buying a second hand normal deck and feeding the audio into the (Windows) computer which is probably my preferred method (never got round to it when I had a working record player). Are there issues here I may be overlooking?

Why not buy the cd or download I hear you say? I'm not sure some of these LPs are available in digital format but the main reason is that the digital versions for some idiotic reason are always re-mixed and totally different to the vinyl version ie. ruined! I want the original version as it was meant to be heard not some spotty faced kid's "improved" remix!

If you need advice on hifi ask a surf forum! :roll:

Cheers.....
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Philshoz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Why don't you download them or buy the CD's

There again, is it worth it for 80 Cliff Richard albums..??
User avatar
Philshoz
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:41 am

Did Cliff do 80? I've only got 65 of his?? :-)
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Philshoz » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:29 am

Black wrote:Did Cliff do 80? I've only got 65 of his?? :-)


:lol: Happy New Year Black.

Hope the body holds out for another twelve months.

Hope to catch up in the Spring.
User avatar
Philshoz
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:57 am

Philshoz wrote:
Black wrote:Did Cliff do 80? I've only got 65 of his?? :-)


:lol: Happy New Year Black.

Hope the body holds out for another twelve months.

Hope to catch up in the Spring.

Same to you. I'm booked in for the physio to start 2015 and stocking up on ibuprofen! :-)
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby JayP » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:39 pm

I reckon downloading is the way to go Black. You've only got 80 to hunt down online . Can't be that hard to find the originals surely. I think you'd be surprised - where are you searching for the mp3 versions?

The other option is obviously Spotify. I'm not on it but people I know who are rave about it
JayP
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 11:06 am

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:21 pm

Thanks JayP, I haven't actually looked for the mp3 files because I didn't think they would exist - can you get mp3s from original vinyl records online? I didn't know it was possible :oops: I wouldn't go down the torrent route to get them (a personal choice) and assume any route is breaking copyright??

I don't do spotify, tbh I don't even understand what it is? Isn't it about streaming? I really don't want to pay for something I've already paid for but would like the convenience of a digital file that sounds the same as the vinyl did (all things being equal).

I'll have a look around for the mp3s anyway and return here to report.
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby roberdy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:30 am

Mate, ripping vinyl to digital is a pain in the ass. I used technics 1210 with brand spanking new Ortofon cartridges, my pioneer mixer, Traktor Audio8 soundcard and Sony Soundforge to record to, results were iffy at best and that was recording in lossless format. By the time you have deep cleaned your records, recorded them to FLAC or WAV (don't record to MP3 it is a shit format if you want to listen to good fidelity music ever again), listened to them back to ensure you don't have any artefacts from the needle or headshell and then saved them somewhere nice you might as well have spent that time searching for it on iTunes or similar. The final quality is highly dependant on the type of ADAC (analogue to digital encoder) you have as well and most cheap USB turntables are shite!!

What sort of music are you talking about anyway, I don't reckon you have 3k 12" dance records like me but it can't all be Cliff Richard surely? Most of the traditional band stuff you can find from somewhere these days, usually in a digitally remastered format, which ups the levels, adds a bit of compression (which I don't like) and generally makes them more listenable on modern equipment.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
User avatar
roberdy
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: Bris-vegas

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:20 am

roberdy wrote:Mate, ripping vinyl to digital is a pain in the ass. I used technics 1210 with brand spanking new Ortofon cartridges, my pioneer mixer, Traktor Audio8 soundcard and Sony Soundforge to record to, results were iffy at best and that was recording in lossless format. By the time you have deep cleaned your records, recorded them to FLAC or WAV (don't record to MP3 it is a shit format if you want to listen to good fidelity music ever again), listened to them back to ensure you don't have any artefacts from the needle or headshell and then saved them somewhere nice you might as well have spent that time searching for it on iTunes or similar. The final quality is highly dependant on the type of ADAC (analogue to digital encoder) you have as well and most cheap USB turntables are shite!!
Ok you've put me off that nicely, you had good kit and its still a faff.

roberdy wrote:What sort of music are you talking about anyway, I don't reckon you have 3k 12" dance records like me but it can't all be Cliff Richard surely? Most of the traditional band stuff you can find from somewhere these days, usually in a digitally remastered format, which ups the levels, adds a bit of compression (which I don't like) and generally makes them more listenable on modern equipment.
Its old rock from the 70s mostly - I want my fossilised music fossilised. :-)
I'll have a search, hopefully the mp3s I'm looking for will have comments saying how faithful they are to the original vinyl?
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Matt Rose » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:25 pm

My father in law swears by his Teac LPR500. Life long vinyl collector. Im not sure of the format MP3 or WAV? Might have something in the manual.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2415-teac-lpr500-all-in-one-cdturntablecassettetuner-hifi-system-cd-recorder-with-integrated-speakers.aspx
Matt Rose
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 3:45 pm

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Kamikaze » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:28 pm

if its old rock you want then i might well have it, send me a list and i'll see what i've got. the way i see it if ypu have the album youve already paid the copyright.
Image
User avatar
Kamikaze
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:51 pm
Location: Sunny, yet normally flat Bournemouth

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Matt Rose wrote:My father in law swears by his Teac LPR500. Life long vinyl collector. Im not sure of the format MP3 or WAV? Might have something in the manual.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2415-teac-lpr500-all-in-one-cdturntablecassettetuner-hifi-system-cd-recorder-with-integrated-speakers.aspx

Its a bit pricey for me unless I was changing my hifi system altogether but it does look a really useful item and would do what I want.
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:36 pm

Kamikaze wrote:if its old rock you want then i might well have it, send me a list and i'll see what i've got. the way i see it if ypu have the album youve already paid the copyright.

Yeah thats the way I think about it too. I'll pm a list at some point. Did you do your own recordings?
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby JayP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:44 pm

My thoughts too. If I've paid for it once no point paying twice! If you have a decent android phone theres an mp3 downloader app. Just search for what you want on it - listen to it on the preview and if it sounds ok click download! ....that's what I've been told anyway!
JayP
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 11:06 am

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Matt Rose » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:39 am

Black wrote:
Matt Rose wrote:My father in law swears by his Teac LPR500. Life long vinyl collector. Im not sure of the format MP3 or WAV? Might have something in the manual.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2415-teac-lpr500-all-in-one-cdturntablecassettetuner-hifi-system-cd-recorder-with-integrated-speakers.aspx

Its a bit pricey for me unless I was changing my hifi system altogether but it does look a really useful item and would do what I want.


I know what you mean by price. Depends on how many you want to do? One day Ill copy all of mine over. Id probably buy one then sell it on and then sell all the vinyl. I doubt youll find those 78s in a digital format :wink: If its Lionel, Teddy and Barry then Id download :wink:
Matt Rose
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 3:45 pm

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I've done some investigation and can't find much useful information. If the mp3 download has the release date (of the cd) then you can probably work out the digital version with some research but a lot just give the original vinyl release date. There is no info that I can find how the mp3s have been created either!!

I did a random search for an album I have from 1977 and there are 5 different digital versions released over the years AND a new vinyl LP!! None of these as far as I can tell have the mix that the LP originaly had - even the new vinyl LP!!

None of my Mp3s (either from my own cds or bought online as mp3) don't seem to have the catalogue number in their properties to identify the digital master they were created from - its a lottery as far as I can see!

So really I'm back to creating an mp3 from the vinyl myself if I want an original mix! (Depending on Kam's response when I get in touch)
Buy and then selling a usb deck looks like the easier route.
Wish I'd never asked the question now! :lol:
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Kamikaze » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Black wrote:
Kamikaze wrote:if its old rock you want then i might well have it, send me a list and i'll see what i've got. the way i see it if ypu have the album youve already paid the copyright.

Yeah thats the way I think about it too. I'll pm a list at some point. Did you do your own recordings?


i was an early adopter of cd, so i have only had to rip from cd rather than vinyl which is a doddle.

you mention "mix", no decent music has ever been produced that has "mix" associated with it, by any chance is your idea of "rock" jive bunny and s-express?
Image
User avatar
Kamikaze
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:51 pm
Location: Sunny, yet normally flat Bournemouth

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Sorry Kam - So from what you say your mp3s are from cd - I have cds - I have created mp3s from them BUT that will not be the same (mix) as the vinyl versions I have. It seems I'm still not getting this across too well - even the first version of cds have been re-mixed to be different from the vinyl version and no digital version since has been created with the same mix as the original (vinyl) was, this is why I'm trying to get a digital version of my vinyl. As I mentioned above, you can have a number of different cd productions for the same album - all are different "mixes".

"mix" is what you get with every cd or mp3 unless the track was created first as cd or some digital format. Every cd or mp3 is a "mix" on what was originally a vinyl release - this is my problem. I know of a few digital releases that don't re-mix the tracks for this very reason - you get a digital version as close to the original vinyl as possible.

I think it may be assumed I'm being a snob of some kind here but all I want is a digital version of my vinyl. I've paid for vinyl & cd quite a few times but still can't access a digital version of my vinyl!!
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Kamikaze » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:26 pm

Go on give us a clue as to artist and album, it must be embarrassing or you'd have said what it is by now!

I thought cd's were just created from the master tape that produced the vinyl album back in the day, but then I'm no expert. I can't say as that I've noticed the tracks on any of my cd's being different to the vinyl I used to have.

If you have the patience you could record each track from your player to separate wav files via the mic socket on your pc. Then convert to mp3. You would have to make sure you stopped the recording at the end of each track which would be the worst part. If you've not got many then prob not to bad, but if you have a pile of albums would be soul destroying.
Image
User avatar
Kamikaze
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:51 pm
Location: Sunny, yet normally flat Bournemouth

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Philchapman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:18 pm

Do you mean remastered rather than remixed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remaster
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Philchapman wrote:Do you mean remastered rather than remixed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remaster

Problem is when they re-master they also re-mix it because they "can improve it"!! If they just digitally re-mastered the vinyl master then I wouldn't have the problem but they can't keep their knob twiddling hands off it. :lol:
Years ago when we got some of our first cds I put the same vinyl & cd on our hifi. I could flick between the two at the touch of a button. I couldn't believe the difference and that the cd had been re-mixed. The original vinyl mix was much more preferable.
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Kamikaze wrote:Go on give us a clue as to artist and album, it must be embarrassing or you'd have said what it is by now!
I've got lots by these people: Dawn, Barry Manilow, Rene & Renato, Nana Muscouri, Donny Osmond, Village People, Demis Rousoss and of course Cliff! :shock:

Kamikaze wrote:I thought cd's were just created from the master tape that produced the vinyl album back in the day, but then I'm no expert. I can't say as that I've noticed the tracks on any of my cd's being different to the vinyl I used to have.
If only they were simply created from the master - see above post.

Kamikaze wrote:If you have the patience you could record each track from your player to separate wav files via the mic socket on your pc. Then convert to mp3. You would have to make sure you stopped the recording at the end of each track which would be the worst part. If you've not got many then prob not to bad, but if you have a pile of albums would be soul destroying.
My problem is I don't have a deck to play the vinyl on any more. :-(
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Kamikaze » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:37 pm

My hearing is a bit shite at the best of times so I'm not the greatest authority, but I'd have said a CD would always be preferable to a converted vinyl even if you are one of the few that thinks vinyl sounds better than cd.

Assuming you have a reasonable amp to plug into your pc a 2nd hand reasonable quality turntable should do the trick. It will be a time consuming process (especially when you forget to stop the recording at the end of the track) but then a few days in the man cave listening to music sounds quite nice to me.


This looks quite funky, no idea what it sounds like though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60s-RETRO-SUI ... 418c8e5609
Image
User avatar
Kamikaze
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:51 pm
Location: Sunny, yet normally flat Bournemouth

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Kamikaze wrote:My hearing is a bit shite at the best of times so I'm not the greatest authority, but I'd have said a CD would always be preferable to a converted vinyl even if you are one of the few that thinks vinyl sounds better than cd.

Assuming you have a reasonable amp to plug into your pc a 2nd hand reasonable quality turntable should do the trick. It will be a time consuming process (especially when you forget to stop the recording at the end of the track) but then a few days in the man cave listening to music sounds quite nice to me.


This looks quite funky, no idea what it sounds like though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60s-RETRO-SUI ... 418c8e5609

My hearing is a bit crap too and I can only tell the difference if I listen to both versions.
Hopefully if I do the conversion myself I will manage to enjoy the lengthy process. I've been looking out for a second hand quality turntable going spare.
Most of those cheap usb decks get bad reviews which is what prompted me to start this thread! :lol:
Really the vinyl I have is stuff like Yes, Led Zeppelin, Love, Queen, Fleetwood Mac - that kind of thing.
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Kamikaze » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:40 am

This might be what you need. Not cheap though.

http://www.ebuyer.com/blog/2015/01/pono ... %29_All_FS


No Hawkwind???
Image
User avatar
Kamikaze
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:51 pm
Location: Sunny, yet normally flat Bournemouth

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:33 pm

The BBCs Click program have just done an article on hi-res audio which had the pono in too. Its not the quality as such that I'm moaning about (never actually done the wav/mp3 comparison), just the originality. Some vinyl productions were awful too.

May have a Hawkwind or Uriah Heep in the collection somewhere but they never really floated my boat.

If I get round to buying a usb deck I'll give it a review here.
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby tubularbells » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:55 pm

I would not recommend those USB decks personally. From what I have heard not particularly good.

When I have to rip a record I use a technics 1210 (which a lot of audiophiles might turn their noses up at...) connect it into a Traktor a10 (soundcard) and via a USB cable into my Laptop. I use a program called Ableton (instead could use a free program called Audacity and they have even released a free version of Pro Tools now) with a plug-in called Waves to apply a limiter (to boost the volume) another plug-in to sort out levels between right and left channel, eq it a bit. All a bit of a ballache.

I say "When I have to..." because hands down it is much better to get a quality re-issue cd or download than the kerfuffle of ripping the vinyl. Usually anything different to the Original release is a bonus track in my experience. Vinyl recordings are designed to be played on turntables not converted to digital recordings by the home user. Invariably a digital remaster will always sound clearer and louder although it is subjective. I generally rip my vinyl records where I can't get that exact version of a track online or it is an obscure album, which is becoming rarer and rarer.

If you have already bought the album you could feel morally justified in downloading the tracks without paying for it at certain sites in seconds with a decent internet connection. Of course, I would never condone such reckless behaviour.
tubularbells
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:08 pm

Quick update on this.
A friend works in a charity shop said they had a usb deck going for £20. I looked the model up and its no longer made but are selling new for £80 on ebay. So I thought £20 was worth throwing at it. Got it this evening (in the original box!) checked it was working and did some noodly things to set it up, plugged into pc & downloaded Audacity. A few rootings in the sound settings to get the input/output working and some level tweeks and hey presto - beautiful wav file on computer. Now the detail in the sound is far and away clearer than a 128kbs mp3 I created from the cd, by a mile so I'm well pleased. If anything the top end is possibly tinny but I could tone that down I'm sure.
Its probably not fair comparing wav to mp3 so when I do the conversion I'll do another test.
Overall this will probably do me. I can create portable music from vinyl with acceptable quality. Job done, well after countless hours of recording it will be!
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God


Re: Vinyl to digital

Postby Black » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:03 am

Wow! He's got a few more than me, might give him a hand when I'm done here!! Some of my vinyl is so worn its got serious distortion. Need to find some replacements, maybe I'll ask him?
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Next

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests