Creaky old laptop pissing you off?

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Creaky old laptop pissing you off?

Postby Black » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Bought an SSD hard drive for the wife's laptop plus a usb caddy to put the old drive in for transferring everything and then to use as a backup drive. Total cost £50.

The old laptop was bought in 2007 running Vista. It had virtually ground to a halt and I could see the hd was struggling to cope so I thought this might be a cheap way to speed it up and give it a few more years as there is nothing wrong with it in essence.

Holy effing crap - it has utterly transformed the thing, much better than when it was new!!!
Some of the speed-up will be due to the clean install but I've done a re-install before and it didn't take long to slow down once you got a few meaty programs on there - this time its impeccable. This was my valentines present (yes I'm so romantic) and she loves it to bits!!

It probably took a day in reality to get it all sorted with inevitable glitches - the Windows updates are a pain as there's so many but its now a solid platform that works how you would want.

If you have an old creaking laptop that has no mechanical issues get an SSD - its a no-brainer, works so much better than I anticipated - really just do it! :-D
Never growing old together...
Black

Re: Creaky old laptop pissing you off?

Postby briggfoot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:52 pm

Nice, Black. I just bought a usb caddy having read your post, and will give it a try then try an SSD hard-drive in future.
The hard-drive in my laptop popped it's clogs about a month ago, and has just sat here gathering dust whilst I think what to do with it, and whether there's a way of extracting the data off it without paying through the nose.
Looks like much more suitable drives for laptop computers which are used whilst commuting/mobile etc.
briggfoot

Postby Black » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:28 pm

How did your laptop hd die? From my experience if you put it in a caddy that you know is reliable (they're cheap and some don't work too well) and you still can't get it going it is dead and would cost a small fortune to get data off it.

Looks like much more suitable drives for laptop computers which are used whilst commuting/mobile etc.
Yep, more reliability - no moving parts so less susceptible to impact damage. Also the SSD uses less power so should make the laptop battery last longer.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby flacky » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 am

Recently bought myself a dogs bollocks MacBook Pro with a SSD. FUCK... Total cost, over 2k.

Within 20 seconds of hitting the on button, I have Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign all open.

Looking into a retro fit for my Desktop mac now.

SSD is amazing. Might look into doing what you've done for my older MBP now. Given it to the kids rather than selling.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Hoppimike » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Yeah makes sense that that worked because I mean... I mean firstly a Windows reinstall will help a lot regardless. On top of that of course as we all know the read/write speed for an SSD is way higher.

I still use normal drives but I of course make sure I have plenty of RAM and good all-round specs - I use my PC for gaming.

I'm cool with the old drives but I'll get an SSD when they're a bit lower in price or maybe when my current drives pack up!
To support myself and help others I am currently supporting a health company so check it out if you'd like: http://tiny.cc/markusrothkranz
Hoppimike

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)