mtb suggestions ?

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

mtb suggestions ?

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 pm

can anyone suggest something around £400-600 from this website please ? after a hardtail to get to work and take out at the weekends. work has a cycle scheme on

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/hardtail-mtb/c7
Vince Noir

Re: mtb suggestions ?

Postby Chris F » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:59 am

Spend as much as you can afford!

Stick with the well known makes and you can;t really go wrong, just make sure you get a size that feels "right" when you sit on it, don;t just go by the online guides.

Something like this is a good starting point;

http://www.thetoptens.com/best-brands-mountain-bikes/

Clearly subjective, but if you google similar lists you will see the same ones will come out near the top.
Chris F

Postby future primitive » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:07 am

Voodoo bikes that you can get in Halfords of all places,They always get really good reviews for their price point,if you buy a large brand they are not as well specced in components at this price as the Voodoo's are

Have a bit of look through this forum page,plenty of people asking about bikes in your price range
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewfor ... 096b6655cd
future primitive

Postby majordom » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:57 am

lots of second hand bargains on ebay gumtree etc - not worth buying new at that price range

be prepared to put a bit of effort in the workshop to bring it up to scratch - i got a 3 yr old santa cruz for 1/3 of the new price !
majordom

Postby Vince Noir » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:37 am

i get what you're saying, but as its through the cycle to work scheme a 500 quid bike will cost me about 280 overall and its spread over X months. bit of a pain not being able to test ride anything but im pretty much going to need an XXL or XL frame size cos of my height.
Vince Noir

Postby johnjohn » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:19 am

Prices on that website seem a hundred quid more at your price point (bottom of entry level) than elsewhere. Why not post the same question on the singletrackworld bike forum? There's a good chance you'll get interesting answers from people who are totally into it (tho ctw limits things). Right now it's like asking about buying a popout on an unfrequented MTB forum...
johnjohn

Postby Chris F » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Vince Noir wrote:i get what you're saying, but as its through the cycle to work scheme a 500 quid bike will cost me about 280 overall and its spread over X months. bit of a pain not being able to test ride anything but im pretty much going to need an XXL or XL frame size cos of my height.

How tall are you Vince?

Agree with jj, looks like premiums on those bikes, is that the only website you can use?
Chris F

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:43 pm

johnjohn wrote:Prices on that website seem a hundred quid more at your price point (bottom of entry level) than elsewhere. Why not post the same question on the singletrackworld bike forum? There's a good chance you'll get interesting answers from people who are totally into it (tho ctw limits things). Right now it's like asking about buying a popout on an unfrequented MTB forum...

true, but some on here are quite into their mtb.ive put a post up on there too.

Chris im 6'4 and about 16 stone. I can use other shops but they have to fill in some form and register with cycle solutions. i might have a look in town and theres any bike shops that would be suitable.
Vince Noir

Postby future primitive » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:04 pm

Have you looked at one of these
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -_-TopLink

Air forks with a lockout on them you should a shock pump with them,with you being 16st you will be set them up to your weight which you won't be able to do with a coil fork at this price,I used to struggle with stock springs in the better forks at 14.5st before air forks came out,this also come with some other decent kit on it

buying a bigger brand bike you will pay quite a bit just for the brand name,which to me is just wrong as they sell bigger numbers so have better buying power when getting components,
future primitive

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:16 pm

im trying to have a look at it but the halfords site continuously crashes on me
Vince Noir

Postby Chris F » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:25 am

Vince Noir wrote:im trying to have a look at it but the halfords site continuously crashes on me

Strangely appropriate! Not sure about other Hlafords, but by all accounts the bike support and service at the Aberdeen stores is pretty dire.

There's Alpine Bikes on Holborn Street and Edinburgh Bike Co-op on George Street. Not much else in town, there are OK bike shops in Inverurie, Stonehaven and a good one in Aboyne if you fancy getting out of the city.

PS, you lanky bastard. Definitely need to get you climbing.
Chris F

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:11 am

Chris F wrote:
Vince Noir wrote:im trying to have a look at it but the halfords site continuously crashes on me

Strangely appropriate! Not sure about other Hlafords, but by all accounts the bike support and service at the Aberdeen stores is pretty dire.

There's Alpine Bikes on Holborn Street and Edinburgh Bike Co-op on George Street. Not much else in town, there are OK bike shops in Inverurie, Stonehaven and a good one in Aboyne if you fancy getting out of the city.

PS, you lanky bastard. Definitely need to get you climbing.

aye, i'll come along to the climbing wall soon. ive got stupidly long arms and legs too. i am a bit heavy tho.

will check out alpine bikes first i think.

FP that bike looks nice and its reviews are great too. will see if i can get a look at one somewhere.
Vince Noir

Postby future primitive » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Do agree with Chris about Halfords service and what not,they certainly get a good slagging on bike forums,if you ride you might as well start to do stuff yourself on one,saves on paying through the nose at a bike shop
future primitive

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:43 am

Guess their service will be no worse than buying off a website!
Chris F

Postby Vince Noir » Sun May 01, 2016 5:22 pm

fwiw, i ended up getting a bizango. arrives next week. looking forward to finding some good trails :-D
Vince Noir

Postby future primitive » Sun May 01, 2016 8:46 pm

Glentress is a really good trail center,shouldn't be much of a drive from Edinburgh,blue run great fun if you can ride pretty quick,red is good and technical,the black is not much harder than the red but alot longer,plenty of climbing to do here,but the plus side is the downs,innerleithen just down the road is good as well,I usually go up there couple times a year for a weekend
future primitive

Postby Chris F » Mon May 02, 2016 8:37 am

All a bit of a haul from Aberdeen (especially if carless!) but great trails.

Closer to home you can get train to Dyce and 15 mins on bike to Kirkhill / Tyrebagger, or down to Stonehaven and it's probably 20 mins on bike to reach the trails at Swanley / Fetteresso if you start from Slug Road.
Chris F

Postby tootes » Sat May 28, 2016 8:32 pm

future primitive wrote:Glentress is a really good trail center,shouldn't be much of a drive from Edinburgh,blue run great fun if you can ride pretty quick,red is good and technical,the black is not much harder than the red but alot longer,plenty of climbing to do here,but the plus side is the downs,innerleithen just down the road is good as well,I usually go up there couple times a year for a weekend

echo the above. I started MTB about a year ago and went down GT red first time out no probs. OK I was slow over some stuff but it was still easy. I trail ride once a week now.I have an old specialized rockhopper ht. There are a couple of steep down sections on the black but it is best to chop and change the route at glentress. the goat track section is horrible on a hard tail btw - you can avoid it using a fire road. Also there is a new trail off the top.

Also ride Coed Llandelga in north wales a lot - goto centre but not glentress.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue May 31, 2016 8:06 am

MTB UCI World Cup at Fort William this weekend - weather to be brilliant all week + Weekend :-)

Get yourself over there.

http://fortwilliamworldcup.co.uk/what-a ... /downhill/
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)