Skating- for fat knackers

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Skating- for fat knackers

Postby danny1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:52 pm

I have just entered my 3rd age of skating.

Always skated mid 80s-90s. then lost interest. there were no skate parks in those days

got back into it as lay day activity in my 30s. discovered concrete was really hard and got lots of injury- so stopped.

Then while in france everyone is on long boards so came back and did a bit of research

my mate pursuded me to get one of these

http://www.smoothstar.com/shop/complete ... ly-toledo/

Most fun I have had for ages. So worth it.

we have a decent bowl near us and its giving me a new obsession

The only thing i will say is that i am now skating over surfing on marginal days...
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Re: Skating- for fat knackers

Postby JayP » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:49 pm

I've been thinking about trying a smoothstar. I've never skated. (I'm 46) Thought I'd try a carver after reading the thread on here about them and bluddy love it. I use mine alot and it's definitelyhelped my surfing. Especially backhand. Not done much in a bowl but they are a blast especially if you get a wide shallow slope you can carve down with a dog pulling you at full pelt!! :lol: Alot like snowboarding. I'd be interested to see how they compare.
JayP

Postby JayP » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:36 pm

JayP

Postby danny1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:41 pm

mate soooo forgiving... i cant get up anywhere near the coping on a bowl on my normal skateboard or pump at all really...but with the smoothstar I can pump all away around the bowl and i am only limited by my fitness. I could only dream of that on a normal board. Rolling in and dropping in also much much much easier....

concrete is still pretty hard but in a mont i have only realy hit deck badly 3 or 4 times.... it used to be 3 or 4 times every session on a proper board.

getthat carver into the bowl as a start off....
danny1

Postby Chris F » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:32 am

JayP wrote:I've been thinking about trying a smoothstar. I've never skated. (I'm 46) Thought I'd try a carver after reading the thread on here about them and bluddy love it. I use mine alot and it's definitelyhelped my surfing. Especially backhand. Not done much in a bowl but they are a blast especially if you get a wide shallow slope you can carve down with a dog pulling you at full pelt!! :lol: Alot like snowboarding. I'd be interested to see how they compare.

This has been on my mind a lot recently (age 47) and thinking about getting a carver of some kind too.
Chris F

Postby danny1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:57 am

just do it. so much fun
danny1

Postby Chris F » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:20 am

Need a carver suitable for rubbish roads I think, what would be good? I keep getting this "what do you want for christmas" from everyone and it might be an easy fix.
Chris F

Postby JayP » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:50 pm

No idea! I've got one of these. https://www.newtons-shred.co.uk/carver- ... resin.html

It likes smooth tarmac for sure . I would call up the shop and have a chat with them about where you wanna ride it but also look around your local area. You may be surprised at the amount of areas that are good to skate. Especially car parks with a slight slope. Also you don't need alot of space to have a ball on these. I often just play about on the road in front of my house as its quiet but its pretty narrow. Ideally you want a small tarmac bank to play around on and once you find a good one it can be pretty addictive. Watch out for cracks in bad tarmac though - nearly broke my arm going arse over tit when I caught a wheel in a hole the other day.
JayP

Postby Philshoz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:46 pm

I hate reading this thread, it only reminds me of my (5x) dislocated shoulder.

I don't think I could ever contemplate stepping onto a skateboard again. :-(
Philshoz

Postby Black » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:00 am

Philshoz wrote:I hate reading this thread, it only reminds me of my (5x) dislocated shoulder.

I don't think I could ever contemplate stepping onto a skateboard again. :-(
They had me going there until the 'nearly broke my arm' bit, then I snapped back into reality. :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby JayP » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:02 am

Lol. it's not that bad but yes concrete is harder than water. I'd still have a go black - they are very easy to get used to and in a year of having mine I've probably only fell off onto me arse a couple of times. MOST if the time you are able to just step out if it as you're going quite slow just carving and practicing snaps top turns and bottom turns. Great for honing technique.
JayP

Postby Black » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:24 am

Yeah these boards sound like they relate much more to surfing than in the old days which is what put me off back then (along with the elbow damage :roll: ) but I still have the notion its a kids toy and I'll look like a tool. Also its virtually the price of a board!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby JayP » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:41 pm

It is a kids toy. Yes you will look like a tool to some people but who gives a toss. They're idiots and you will be having a blast, keeping fit and helping your surf skills while at it! Yes they are pricey and I probably would never have bought one at full price either but I saw one for sale second hand and its the best £120 I've spent in years and years.
JayP

Postby danny1 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:00 pm

best fun ever. very close to the high i get from a good surf. strengthen core and can really feel it in lower back and thighs... also go through the motions on surf moves- cutbacks etc.. £300 for a board that will last you a few years. Unlike the £350 board I had made recently and surfed for 6 weeks in france up to solid 5-6ft and then snapped on my first session back at local reef here at 4ft!)

Much much better value than surfboards

So true about how much easier and loser they are than old boards...

I have gorwn men laughing at me here. Theres a guy a few doors down fuckign cracking up at me as he goes off to play golf. he's the crazy cunt.

The kids in the skatepark take the piss out of me too wearing my old running shoes

look at a few of these vidss: https://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothStarSurf
danny1

Postby JayP » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Theres a second hand carver for sale on the second hand surfboards page on faceybooky if anyone is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/389546254489145/
JayP

Postby c-lad fantastic » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:59 am

So there's a present under the tree from the wife that looks suspiciously like a long board. Haven't really skated before, much preferred the idea of falling off a board into water or onto snow than onto tarmac. Does it take long to pick up? Any tips for an absolute beginner?
c-lad fantastic

Postby Kamikaze » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:11 am

c-lad fantastic wrote:So there's a present under the tree from the wife that looks suspiciously like a long board. Haven't really skated before, much preferred the idea of falling off a board into water or onto snow than onto tarmac. Does it take long to pick up? Any tips for an absolute beginner?

Don't go mad to start with! A colleague bust his achilies and wound up in a cast for about 3 months, just due to scooting along.
Kamikaze

Postby c-lad fantastic » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:20 pm

Kamikaze wrote:Don't go mad to start with! A colleague bust his achilies and wound up in a cast for about 3 months, just due to scooting along.

Will bear that in mind, still recovering from a fractured clavicle so could do without any more cracks in my skeleton! Cheers.
c-lad fantastic

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)