Digs

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Digs

Postby qaz » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:46 am

Firstly, hello to the regulars - I've been checking in to the site for a little while now and really enjoy the banter.
I'm a bit of a newbie and have only been riding waves for the last two years or so. Unlike some of you I'm stuck in London so I have to plan and book my weekends in advance. As you can imagine some weekends are a bit of a washout so making the trip as cheap as possible is pretty important. I've found a cheap surfer friendly place in Bude that I've being staying in a lot, but I was wondering if you guys knew anywhere else around that’s easy on the pocket. I'm enjoying finding new spots at the moment and I would really like to find some places in the motherland - Wales. As the recent weather hasn't been very tent friendly I was hoping that some of you guys could point me in the direction of some cheap hostels or something where I can leave my suit and store my board for an evening.

Cheers
qaz

Postby Zoidberg » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:03 am

Fistral Backpackers - it's a surfing backpackers, everyone there's pretty friendly and it's on Headland road ( you can see the surf from it). Rooms from £5 a night, can have up to 4 in a room or a single.

Check out http://www.fistralbackpackers.co.uk

Cheers
Zoidberg

Postby Paddy.James » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:41 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Anywhere but fistral backpackers in Zooquay.
Its the cheapest for a reason. TRUST ME. ANYWHERE ELSE IS BETTER!
Paddy.James

Postby Zoidberg » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:54 pm

Well he did say he wanted some easy on the pocket, which it is, and also what do you expect for £5 a night?It's not that badand people are nice. The reason i put it foward is because most people want to stay in newquay! Well i don't really care as long as i can sleep with a roof over my head. Have alook around St Ives and Croyde, they have nice camp sites and hoilday parks.

Cheers
Zoidberg

Postby thedeadly » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:37 pm

get a tent from argos - use it for the weekend - clean it, fold it up nicely then take it back on their 16 no hassle money back thingy- then you can go where you want for a fiver a night !
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby johnnyb » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:50 pm

hillend campsite in llangennith..cheap as s**t, cold as s**t, 30 yards from the beach, also beynon farm camping on gower is excellent. camping maybe cold but the sea is colder.
johnnyb

Postby Grizzly » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:37 am

johnnyb wrote:cheap as s**t

'fraid not - it's gone up this year....

Or maybe I've got stingier...
Gorau dial, dangos cwm a'i ffadau.
http://singlefin.blogspot.com
Grizzly

Postby Powl » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:48 am

Yeah I was there a couple weeks back, think it was £15 quid for two people and a tent. Thought that was quite steep meself...
Powl

Postby okerre » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:55 am

Does seem a little steep, has been a while since I've been there. Is a short drive to gower reefs from there too. Does the campsite still have basic facilities? or does the price increase reflect some new super duper shower/cleaning/thai massage block?
okerre

Postby Grizzly » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:57 am

Fraid not. There's still the shower/bog block and that's it. Went past last weekend and it was a real zoo of wall to wall townies. And there was no surf, either...
Grizzly

Postby Powl » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:18 pm

it was a real zoo of wall to wall townies

That was probably just me and all my chav rellies. We were having a bit of a family re-union. You should have come over for slice of swiss roll and a can wife beater
Powl

Postby Grizzly » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:26 pm

He he he! Were you the ones with the burberry painted novas?
Grizzly

Postby clarkee » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:11 pm

Good old Hillend great site but they do seem to be only people who think cold showers are still part of the british camping experience on the other hand you've got to admire their cheek
clarkee

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)