I'm going to be a NON EMMET

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

I'm going to be a NON EMMET

Postby malpractice » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:22 pm

Yes, I took the (large) pay cut and am going to try living in Cornwall for a year. I was lucky to find a shared house in Truro (where I will be working).

Its going to take some getting used to, surfing not involving 4+ hours in the car. I have done 23,000 miles in my car in the last 12 months. I will sure be glad to see the back of the M5.

Just 2 weeks to go! Just in time for these all time classic autumnal swells to kick in.

PS. If your in and around Truro or surf locally I sure would like to get to know some locals, there might be a beer in it.
malpractice

Postby thedeadly » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:11 am

PS. If your in and around Truro or surf locally I sure would like to get to know some locals, there might be a beer in it.

I'll sign up for one of those - nice one - see ya down here soon !

Yes, I took the (large) pay cut and am going to try living in Cornwall for a year.

don't worry about the pay cut, quality of life will will be more than repayment !!!! ha ha only a year, that's what they all say after being in cornwall for 10 or 20 yrs - i get nervous when i get north of exeter now,just incase its all been a dream and i have to go home - still kick myself when i'm driving around and have to keep telling myself i live here now !

may i be the first to say "welcome aboard , sir !"
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby southcoaster » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:54 am

See you in Truro bsin! Im going to be living in Penryn from the 26th Sept, so I might see you around. The annoying thing is that they are saying that I can't take a car to the halls as there is very limited parking. But I think I am going to risk it and park in Penryn somewhere (out of the campus though).

Does anyone know Penryn at all? Because I want to know if there is anywhere that I could just park. Maybe you could have a look for me bsin? I just want to see if there is any parking near the Tremough campus (that big new campus that they are building in Penryn), if you could have a look that would be great!

If I can't take my car for the whole first year I don't know what I would do. I been dreaming about those dawn patrols where it's not a case of "is there going to be any swell?" (channel surfing), but a case of "where should I go?!"

I don't care what the guys say in the uni, you cannot surf when you want to if you don't have a car. Public transport my arse! I can just see it "so do you let people on the bus with a dripping wet wetsuit and a board".............."didn't think so" or leaving your stuff on the beach only to find that it has magically disapeared by the time you get back, strange that isn't it.

And as for turning up in a minibus with ten other surfers who love surfing enough to go once every two weeks! Don't get me started.
southcoaster

Postby malpractice » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:38 am

Sure thing guys. I will get out a bit on my bike and explore the area when I get down there, there has to be some prime parking spots. We'll have that beer sometime!
malpractice

Postby malpractice » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:51 am

IT support for the NHS Cornwall at the RCHT in Truro.
malpractice

Postby u4d18 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:10 pm

Now you can enjoy the immense local pleasure of driving/cycling/walking to work whilest knowing that there are awesome waves breaking only a short distance away, and you won't be able to get them for another 8 hours... I get to drive near Thurso East and Brimms ness on the way to work... some mornings it can be really demotivating seeing beautiful off-shore conditions without being able to get out...
u4d18

Postby thedeadly » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:13 pm

i get into penryn every now and again and shall have a look for you - all you need is a residetial area nearby and you will be able to park

don't forget when you both get down here that most of the double yellow lines are not used after 31st sep - woooohoooo -
thedeadly

Postby southcoaster » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:23 pm

Cheers guys, that would be a great help.

Only 27 days to go until freshers week, which I think might turn into, surfing (all) week! :D
southcoaster

Postby thedeadly » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:33 pm

i heard on a radio advert that each room in the new accomadation for the college has a surfboard locker !!!!!
thedeadly

Postby southcoaster » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:56 pm

This is true. Hearing that you would think that they would be catering for actually going surfing, but they won't let you park your car on the campus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
southcoaster

Postby thedeadly » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:37 pm

also plymouth uni has a policy to get people to use other forms of transport other than cars which is why they don't have parking - hey don't worry dude i got 3 seats in my van , a big roofrack and a company diesel card - LOL - just let me know
thedeadly

Postby thedeadly » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:56 pm

Thank fk, sorry guys but Plymouth Uni surf club manage to overwhelm enough local breaks at the weekend as it is - at least you can spot the minibus coming

hey ben - does this mean i'll get banned from the site if i get into plymouth uni next year :?: :lol:
thedeadly

Postby okerre » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:51 am

Best of luck mate, I hope to be joining u gets before the end of the year. If u could just find me a house to buy we could have the magicseaweed hippy surf commune in my garden. Oh and if someone would buy my flat in Bristol I would be grateful. :lol: Cheers
okerre

Postby Paddy.James » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:09 am

7 wasted years....
Paddy.James

Postby southcoaster » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:17 am

Plymouth Uni surf club manage to overwhelm enough local breaks at the weekend as it is - at least you can spot the minibus coming

That is exacty what I am against. I shudder at the thought of turning up at the beach with 10 other people in a minibus to go surfing. In my mind it is unthinkable that they actually do that!
I just want to be able to take my car for those dawn patrols at 5:00 in the morning, and anyway, the campus in Penryn is tiny compared to Plymouth Uni.

And if I wasn't to uni in Cornwall, I would be getting a job there, so you would have to put up with one extra car either way! :D

And Deadly, if worst comes to worst and I cannot take my car, that offer could be a lifesaver!
southcoaster

Postby thedeadly » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:29 pm

(Although a forecast service giving advanced warning of Uni mini buses turning up at a break WOULD be a great addition to the site)

i like it - may cost you a free membership though !!!!

maybe i could do a project when i get going on the probability of breaks being zooed out and and plot it against minibus excursions - i think though that plymouth should be the exception due to the fact that i might be on it next year and it being the only uni to do the surf science course, and subsidise it with huge taxes on any other university clubs from north of exeter - you never know what helpful discoveries plymouth will find to help every surfer -

- southcoaster - theres a big housing estate behind the college grounds - next time i get over there i'll check it out for you
thedeadly

Postby Grizzly » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:48 am

thedeadly wrote:huge taxes on any other university clubs from north of exeter

Ooooh!! My bunch are well behaved! Well, mainly...
Gorau dial, dangos cwm a'i ffadau.
http://singlefin.blogspot.com
Grizzly

Postby Rad » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:34 pm

Nice move bsinb03, I'm looking to do the same in the next few weeks (don't suppose they've got any more vancancies? :wink:)
Rad

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)