how old are you all?

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:53 am

I have to confess Alec, that I am 38 too! (Dont tell the others,OK) :lol: :lol: So its after you with the warm milky drink mate. But I do feel very old and very tired! Perhaps I've just had too much fun already. (too many motorbikes more like!) Did I tell you about my aches and pains?
......Rubber Duck this is Pig Pen, I'm gonna put the hammer down..........

Bigjohn

Postby thedeadly » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:59 pm

hey you youngster you - get into some yoga or tai chi - or any stretching and flowing movement training - that will sort out your aches and pains - better still i could run a over 35 training weekend if you want ! :twisted: :twisted:

40 but feel like 25 - lol
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby alec » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:25 pm

i could run a over 35 training weekend if you want !

After a couple of hours thrashing around in lumpy on-shore mush this morning recon I need it :lol: Next time I'm down in Kernow i'll give you a shout.
Know what you mean about stretching/flowing techniques. Used to do Aikido which has helped keep me reasonably supple.
alec

Postby thedeadly » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:30 pm

get back into it or something - i can still mix it up with the young hero's at my club - i still get hit lots though - but stretching keeps you feeling young - runnings good to but it takes a bit of getting into - at the age of 30 i was 15 - 16 stone and if i ran up the stairs i would have to have a sit down for a while - so i started training just to loose a bit of weight and have never stopped - 12 1/2 st now and can run 10+ miles - so its never too late :lol: :lol:
thedeadly

Postby thedeadly » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:33 pm

PS

the best traing you can get for surfing (stamina wise) is bag work - get a 6ft bag and punch and kick the crap out of it full on for 1 min then rest for 1 min, then over a few (lol) months work it up to 5min rounds with 1 min break and just do as many as you can till you collapse

1st time you do it you'll be knackered after 30 secs but a week later that will be easy !

when you can do 4 or 5 lots of 5 mins paddling out back will become easier (a lot)

i am currently working my way back up to 5 min rounds from the time i had off in march
thedeadly

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:51 pm

I reckon the Tang Soo Do (Taekwondo) I did as a youngster didn't do me many favours once I stopped. I was supple as hell when I was doing it though. All the broken fingers and toes come back to haunt me now. Did I tell you about my ...............oh yes

Bigjohn

Postby alec » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:54 pm

Remind me never to get on the wrong side of you :D
The bag is a good idea, ideal for recovering from those crap days at work too.
I'm a mountain biker, live in the middle of the Pennines + ride allot, which keeps the CV fitness reasonable, but recon the bag would help with upper body fitness. Cheers
alec

Postby alec » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:02 pm

Theres a definate martial arts/age/recently got into/back into surfing, thing going on here :)
alec

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:15 pm

[quote="alec"]Remind me never to get on the wrong side of you

Its all in the past now, I'm far too laid back for all that crap these days. Most of the true martial artists are athletes not brawlers. The idiots get weeded out early on. I used to enjoy watching the people who did it for the wrong reasons getting re educated. It gives you bags of self confidence though to know what your body can do. I used to be able to drink a pint with my foot on top of a door frame.(dont do this in shorts, trust me). :oops:

Bigjohn

Postby thedeadly » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:22 pm

but recon the bag would help with upper body fitness.

not so much upper body fitness - toatl CV fitness - its just bag work is extreme when you kick as well - harder than sprinting which is the sort of anarobic work out you need when you've spent 10 mins full on getting out back and you are knackered and that good ole clean up set comes along - the ability to do a quick 30 sec sprint even though you think you are drained !

just for the record

i did Wado Ryu / kickboxing - got 1st dan

and a year doing JKD(Bruce Lee) Kali (Philipino sticks and knives) and Vale Tudo (cage fighting)

i think i got into surfing because it uses all the martial arts skill but in a bit of a mellower way apart from the big MF wave that beats you up and doesn't care or even notice you, at least in training they ask if you're ok after - my board has hit me in the chin harder than anyone in the ring or training ever did ! - still got a lump on my jaw bone !
thedeadly

Postby Hokusai » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:35 am

i think i got into surfing because it uses all the martial arts skill ....... that must be a very tough lineup you're in. :evil:
Hokusai

Postby thedeadly » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:49 pm

that must be a very tough lineup you're in

LOLOL - yes Newquay can be a bit fun !

Balance and flowing movement, fitness and bottle !
thedeadly

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:57 am

Hokusai wrote:i think i got into surfing because it uses all the martial arts skill .

Wax on.. Wax off..
With 73% of the planet under water perhaps Earth should be re-named Ocean
PapaWoolacombe

Postby Frosty » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:05 am

Wax on.....Wax off.....Fall off, then savagly attack the board from all directions
Frosty

Postby thedeadly » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:15 pm

Wax on.. Wax off..

wax on... more wax on... more wax on... more wax on... more wax on... more wax on... more wax on... more wax on...- then summer comes and its all wax off - usualy inside the bag !
thedeadly

Previous

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)