Trying to find NOAA data source?

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

Trying to find NOAA data source?

Postby porth_cat » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:12 pm

Hi Ben - Been a big fan of your site for ages and I was hoping that you could help. I'm studying Marine Environmental Management in Falmouth and have been working on a project where we study the effect of open ocean swell hieght on fish population density around the UK and Europe. We hoping to see whether open ocean fish farms in rougher areas will produce healthier fish.

We've been using the NOAA wave watch GRIB file from :ftp://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/waves/latest_run/nww3.all.grb

But it hasn't been updated since the 8th of Oct? They seem to be having some problems and gave me a link to this page when I mailed them. http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/mmab/warning.html

But you seem to be running your service fine - is there any where else that I can get hold of this GRIB file?

If it's some secret source no worries - I was just hoping that you might be able to help.

Cheers man

8)
porth_cat

Postby Mat 'Sonic' Clark » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:53 pm

Have you tried here:

ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/

or more precisely (depending on the date)

ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/ncc ... .20061017/

Guess that may cause you some grief as there's no latest_run folder anymore.

Best of luck!
Mat 'Sonic' Clark

???

Postby porth_cat » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:48 pm

No worries thanks lads - seems like they've solved the problem for the moment as all the file on the FTP now look uptodate.

Cheers
porth_cat

Return to Surf Science