Goose shat himself

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Goose shat himself

Postby Alwayzthekook » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:30 am

goose_1989 wrote: and he makesme look tall in front of the ladies...

LOL! :lol:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32513360@N06/sets/
Alwayzthekook

Postby Chris F » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:46 am

Alwayzthekook wrote:Spear-fishing is the craziest... you've got to expect to have some run-ins doing that, I would have thought...A guy at work used to do it as a lad in South Africa

A guy I used to know in SA did it too. Speared a big tuna (or something) once and didn't make a clean kill, got towed along for a quite a distance before it died. Then had to swim back to shore in bloodied waters hauling a large dead fish.
Chris F

Postby Black » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:23 am

Havin a good time with your mate an dodgin sharks sounds better than what I'm doing atm - good for yous
Last edited by Black on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chai Wallah » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:10 am

Was surfing Elkas in Lombok a few years ago (boat access) and my leash snapped, ended up swimming about 600 metres after the board down the inlet and I rounded a headland to see a whale tied with loads of rope and being held in a small bay. Loads of locals were in the water stabbing it trying to kill it and the small bay was absolutely full of blood and the whale was groaning in distress. I am sure that every shark within 5 miles had sensed the blood and where on route to the whale, passing right underneath the waves that we had been surfing and the way that I had swam, needless to say got out of the water immeditaly and got one of the locals with a boat to pick up my board.

Turns out the whale had got tangled in some fishing nets in the centre of the bay the previous night and the locals had thought it was a gift from the gods, didn't see any fins but you just know there were sharks around.
Chai Wallah

Postby thedeadly » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:34 pm

I got bumped by a cornish fish shark at Harlyn once :-D

Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby surferjak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:20 pm

do you find you can smell sharks?
surferjak

Postby faffynator » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:37 pm

yes surfyjak i live in sa and you can smell sharks and sometimes they fart and you can smell that too
faffynator

Postby Charmander » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:47 pm

Haha! Brilliant.
Byron is full of sharks. I spent a few months there once. My mates and me got up a bit too early once and were sat on the beach at Tallows (cosy corner) in the dark, waiting for the sun to rise fully (sharks feed just before sunrise). It just started showing it's self and my mate shouted 'right lets go' and ran to the shore. I carried on, paddling hard, duck diving, paddling more, until i reached the line up, turned round and realised my mates were still stood on the shore line pointing, shouting shark and laughing at me. There i was, in semi darkness, surrounded by hundreds of big fish, eating something off the surface, on my own! I've never paddled back in so fast in my life. Well actually i did once, at Broken Head, when a longboarder finished his ride and then started screaming that there was a 10 foot Bronze Whaler heading towards me and my mate! Unfortunately i was on a wafer thin 6 foot board and my mate was on his big fat boy McCoy, he went in like a steam train, while i paddled my heart out, lagging behind, feeling just like a Lure i use to use, Pike fishing as a kid :lol:
Went to bed with Sharon Stone, woke up with 18 stone!!
Charmander

Postby purpleandy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:00 am

Do them bronze whalers bite ?? Been buzzed by a couple of them out here, feck did they empty the line-up .....
CAMWA founding member - the campaign for warm ale. Bloody kiwis stick everything in the fridge........cold ale is just plain wrong.....
purpleandy

Postby kevchenco » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:15 pm

I saw a pretty decent sized shark at brunswick heads when i was over there
Paddled like f%^k to get out of the water. Only a handful in aswell pretty scary stuff

not a bad little break there
kevchenco

Postby daveyc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:46 pm

i havent posted on here for a while and found this a INTERESTING thread! i was clearing out my mypictures this afternoon and found some images i found on the biarms.com web site a few years agoe not for the faint hearted, scary the damage that they can do .

DO NOT LOOK BELOW IF YOUR SQUEEMISH!!!!!

daveyc

Postby noah's_arc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:51 am

Urrrggghhhhh! I always get squeamish when I see piccies of foam dummies - really gives me the creeps :lol:

ALthough judging from the hairstyle it really could be Machado.
noah's_arc

Postby beachcomber » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:40 am

damn! I'm glad that a surf in scotland now! Tropical warm water waves in boardshorts is not so apealing if you gotta watch out for beasties like that! :shock:
I'm quite attached to all my arms and legs!
beachcomber

Postby Duke O Ginge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:58 pm

thedeadly wrote:I got bumped by a cornish fish shark at Harlyn once :-D

My mate got bit by one of those Cornish fish sharks off Norfolk (UK) once. Couple of puncture wounds.

They get close and snort at us a lot, especially when there are pups about.

Not quite as cool as a shark but at least you don't have to take the next set in and you can enjoy a surf with some wildlife about.
Duke O Ginge

Postby surfer-dave » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:22 pm

Was surfing a semi-secret sport close to home and some Devonshire fish shark started bobbing around us, would come up next to us, then go under us, then come up the other side - did a runner (swimmer?) when the set came though - but kept coming back. Scary things. :lol:
surfer-dave

Postby thedeadly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:42 pm

was out at Halyn a long time agao now with another weeder called Okerre (or something) and we were sat 10 or so meters apart and a cornish fishbreath shark popped up inbetween us with a miniture bright yellow road cone stuck to his head withe 19 on it - after the initial shock of a wild beast popping up out of nowhere we pissed ourselves and i nearly fell off my board :lol:

i think it was realeased from the seal sanctury :lol:
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby Alwayzthekook » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:01 pm

HAHAHA - ace! :lol:
Alwayzthekook

Postby Duke O Ginge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:15 am

I hope you wished it happy birthday.

Was it dragging a helium balloon as well?
Duke O Ginge

Postby Alwayzthekook » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:13 pm

Happened this morning...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 210548.htm

Fuck..........

Shark kills boy at Ballina

Poor kid, poor parents
Alwayzthekook

Postby mal-nourished » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:48 am

shit thats pretty bad..... :-( :-( you and goose must be feeling a bit fortunate...sad news for sure.... :-( :cry:
mal-nourished

Postby Ovack » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:50 am

daveyc wrote:Image

Not a shark attack, i seem to remember that it was someone who drowned and got hit by a boat propeller.
look how clean some of those slices are.
Ovack

Postby stephh » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:49 am

Mmm nasty :?

Boy, 16, killed in shark attack
A shark has attacked and killed a 16-year-old boy Tuesday while he and a friend were bodyboarding off Australia's eastern coast.

Peter Edmonds was about 50 metres from shore when the shark attacked, lifeguard spokesman Stephen Leahy said.

Edmonds suffered two large bites, one to the leg and one to the body. He died of extreme blood loss while lifeguards and paramedics tried to save him.

It was the first fatal shark attack in Australia in two years.

All nearby beaches were closed as a precaution, and crews were looking for the shark in the waters off Ballina, about 400 miles north of Sydney, Leahy said.

Brock Mathew, was leaving the water when he looked back and saw Edmonds "in a bit of trouble" and swam back to his friend, who he thought was trying to catch a wave.

Mathew said he saw a "big, grey shadow" pass by him as he paddled to his friend, who was by then face down in the water.

"I thought he was only joking, so I went over to him and as I flipped him over I saw his leg," said Mathew, who dragged his friend to shore and tried with lifeguards to resuscitate him.

Leahy said there had been three shark alarms sounded in Ballina in recent months.

Heavy rainfall over the past two days had made the area more susceptible to attacks, because sharks congregate near river mouths to feed in rainy weather. The beach where the attack occurred is just north of the Richmond River estuary.
paddlepaddlepaddle
stephh

Postby Alwayzthekook » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:52 pm

It was all at North Wall.

Lennox was completely cleared out by a huge Bronze Whaler yesterday afternoon.

www.coastalwatch.com wrote:Big 4m shark at Lennox yesterday had surfers exit stage left.

SO many fish around at the moment, I felt like I could have just scooped them up by the shoal with the nose of my board yesterday.

I'm staying well away from the open beaches until the fish stop running. Saw Goose this morning, who went off to Broken before I heard about the massive shark at Lennox... I left a message on his phone tho

[edit: joke - it's getting pretty real out there :? ]
Alwayzthekook

Postby Alwayzthekook » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:37 am

Another attack today, at Greenmount (1hr away). Goose was up there yesterday...

Only a tiddler, but still, it happened in waist-deep water - right in the school holidays

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23554006-3102,00.html wrote:Mr Weale said it had been a bad morning, having also snapped his surfboard

:lol:
Alwayzthekook

Postby goose_1989 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 pm

lol its just shark central here at the moment. im not surfing anywhere south of here or maybe broken until it calms down. greenmount is the best place ever, though i tend to try and hassle waves at snapper and try and surf all the way through.

got one day before yesterday from the rock all the way down to where the path starts. :mrgreen:
goose_1989

Postby surferjak » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:33 pm

faffynator wrote:yes surfyjak i live in sa and you can smell sharks and sometimes they fart and you can smell that too

well done, well fucking done.

your on a roll mate, you'll be on QI before christmas
surferjak

Postby Alwayzthekook » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:45 am

Last week my boss (in Byron) told me that a guy had his board & leash bitten on Tallows Beach... and now this....
:lol:
http://www.northernstar.com.au/storydis ... id=3784056
Alwayzthekook

Postby J L » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:15 am

So sharks don't like SUP's either :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
J L

Postby Lego » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:02 pm

I was Surfing Coolangatta midweek a few years back with only a handful of guys in. We were heaing up to Brizzy so just a short stop, and my sisters were both on the beach. They suddenly start shouting and pointing and i turn to see a f'ing huge black shape in the water behind me.

I panic, shart shouting and swearing and paddling like fuk towards the shore, when a local nonchantly paddling out past me shouts, 'it's a f'ing dolphin mate', followed a little quieter by 'f'ing poms...'
Lego

Location: London, but heading down on the weekend to drop in on your daughters...

Previous

Return to General