Surfboard's on UK Trains

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Surfboard's on UK Trains

Postby Surfer Smith » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:28 pm

I've basically moved from Cornwall my home of 18 years to just north of Brighton and i'm gutted that i've ended up with a shite local break being Brighton, my question is can i take a board that is 8 foot on the train from Reading to Cornwall? Because i can get back and forth for around 30 quid which is cheaper than the petrol would be. I really want to keep surfing but as i don't have a car my options for travel are very limited and i really don't know anyone up here who surf which has bummed me out a lot.
Surfer Smith

Re: Surfboard's on UK Trains

Postby BigShot » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Never done it on public transport before, but I believe one problem you may have is transport once you arrive out there. Apparently some busses and the likes can be a right pain about boards. I'd look into that before buying a ticket.

On the other hand - be thankful you've got ANY breaks where you are.
We don't even have a standing wave on a river - and even if we did, we'd probably just end up with scallies throwing rocks at us while we did it.
Boards #1 and #2 build in progress now. Follow along at bigshotsurf.blogspot.com if you feel so inclined.
BigShot

Postby Kabazz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Is it southwest trains in brighton? I know people regularly use thier trains when going to bournemouth...
Kabazz

Postby Surfer Smith » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:08 pm

BigShot wrote:Never done it on public transport before, but I believe one problem you may have is transport once you arrive out there. Apparently some busses and the likes can be a right pain about boards. I'd look into that before buying a ticket.

On the other hand - be thankful you've got ANY breaks where you are.
We don't even have a standing wave on a river - and even if we did, we'd probably just end up with scallies throwing rocks at us while we did it.

Yea i should be great full i'm just proper bummed, not surfed for a month and my last surf i got out really stoked after a great session at porthmeor then realising i was moving house the next day, it just frustrates me that even though a decent groundswell came in today and looking at N. Devon and Cornwall not a blip at Brighton. When i get there i'm not too bothered about walking a few miles with my board tbh i did it from St Just to Sennen a few times with camping gear (no board).

Buses are a right pain and will not let me on with a mini longboard i know this from living in Cornwall since i was 5. Cheers Kabazz it is indeed south west trains, will probally have to make the journey to Bournemouth for a session later into the winter season.
Surfer Smith

Postby surfingdream » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:57 pm

Do it pretty mch every weekend from plym - newquay. All the tme get the boards on sometimes they make u put it in the hold thing but its not biggy. Bus drivers are the cunts !!! had 2 walk from plymouth train station to yelverton about 12 miles on the moors not fun when its raining :(
Face your fears, Live your dreams
surfingdream

Postby North Devon Lad » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:31 pm

Buy a smaller board. 8)
http://gregnormansurfer.blogspot.com/
www.blackandwhitesurfcoltd.co.uk
www.tikisurf.co.uk
www.elusivesurf.com
www.obsessive-disorder.com
North Devon Lad

Postby Surfer Smith » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 pm

North Devon Lad wrote:Buy a smaller board. 8)

Well i originally wanted a 9'1 :p
Surfer Smith

Postby North Devon Lad » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:56 pm

Surfer Smith wrote:
North Devon Lad wrote:Buy a smaller board. 8)

Well i originally wanted a 9'1 :p

:lol: No worries bud, i'm a longboarder, recently converting back to the shorter side. Didn't think i'd be telling others to get smaller boards :lol:
http://gregnormansurfer.blogspot.com/
www.blackandwhitesurfcoltd.co.uk
www.tikisurf.co.uk
www.elusivesurf.com
www.obsessive-disorder.com
North Devon Lad

Postby captain boycott » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:31 am

I regularly take my board on the train, sometimes take two and I've never really had any bother. Once a woman wouldn't let me on because I hadn't bought a ticket beforehand and she was being arsey. I just got on the next one, no bother really. If the train has a spot for bikes, that helps, but you can normally find somewhere for 'em. Go for it.
captain boycott

Postby Chris F » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:13 pm

I have taken a board on the train from Surrey to Gloucester to go surfing with a mate. Had no worries on the trains, but avoided peak times and could stash it on a luggage rack. No-one was worried at all.
Chris F

Postby Surfer Smith » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Yeah will probally get the train to Barnstaple and go to the local breaks there as it's only a 4 hour trip on the train :) and it's only 30 quid there and back, Only problem i'll have is stashing my stuff when i get there.
Surfer Smith

Postby mr vic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:18 am

when i was in the Uk i didnt have a problem on trains... i went from london to bath before hiring a car... had no problems. i think that was on south west trains. also from bath through birmingham to peterborough to visit family, and was ok there also.

on the other hand,the london underground at peak hour with a surfboard was quite an adventure!
mr vic

Postby swai » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi, I see quite a few people above have successfully taken surfboards on trains which is a good sign! ... but I have a 7'2 minimal and I was wondering whether those of you who managed to take a board have smaller 6ft-ish sized boards. Anyone managed to take a longboard? (btw i'm going on southeastern trains - just called them up and they were unhelpfully noncommittal)

thanks!
swai

Return to General