fins and tails

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

fins and tails

Postby eire08 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:14 pm

wats up with the different types of fin set up and the differant types of tails?? wats the advantage??
You can take me outta the surf ,,,but you'll never take the surf outta me!!
eire08

Re: fins and tails

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:08 am

You need your sharkin' fin on when your chasing tail. Sometimes the tail your chasing is big and hairy, these don't need a very big fin. However, your top of the line minx tails require some extreme sharkin' abilities. Best is to experiment and see what works for you. Personally I wouldn't go sharkin' around the top class tail until you've mastered some average fluff. It's good to get some experience with younger tail first too.
Poo Stance

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:20 am

You need to have a look in the 'Shaping and Board Design' section eire08 :-)
Archy_is_God

Postby eire08 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:46 pm

what just happened??
You can take me outta the surf ,,,but you'll never take the surf outta me!!
eire08

Postby Jonzi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:21 pm

some one bumped your post to spam about ugg boots
Jonzi

Postby BanthamBoy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:07 pm

ok, my rundown on this... If i'm wrong (which I most probably am, just tell me i'm a dopey f*ck and be done with it! :twisted: )

Fins...

Flexier: more release off the top and give the board a more alive feel

Stiffer: make a board feel a little more "grounded" which in bigger surf can make the board feel more solid under your feet instead of skiddish

Twin fins: on the right board they can make it ultra fast and loose, but tend to be harder to work on your backhand

Quad fins: again it varies based on the board you've got them on, but can offer you unreal speed down the line on long walling waves but can be a bit slow/hard to get a turn out of them at certain times
BanthamBoy

Postby HBCSurf » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:40 pm

*caveat
pin and rounded pin tails 'hold' better in the wave. When the waves are big and powerful, a pin or rounded pin works better. The main reason is the lack of edges or rounded pins being a continuous flow edge. The rounded pin doesn't have a specific point to break free and will hold the water better than most other tails. In mushy surf, the rounded pin is hard to break loose and doesn't

squah and rounded squash tales have a larger and more pronounced pivot point. The squash will be better in small and weak surf to break the board free of the wave push and allow for easier, more pivotal turning. You can ride a squah into some serious size and power, but I don't think you're going to see many squash tails at Backdoor.

swallow tails have at least 2 extreme pivot pints and are easier to turn, however, they're used on waider tails in general and you only notice a marginal difference vs the squash. Fish boards use swallow tails a lot, because the overcome the tail width. The Rusty Pirahnna thruster is a great example of a fish that used a swallow tail with 2 bumps top make a fish more like a performance board.

(*)caveat : tail design is only part of the overall equation of how a board will perform and there are notable exceptions. Fin placement, width, thickness, rocker and volume all play a vital role in how a tail performs.

I don't know much about fins other than the more surface, the more the board holds and there's more 'drive' and that's only my personal experience.
HBCSurf

Return to Surf Science