Surfers who surf near Stranraer (Labrax)

Looking for a lift to the beach? Got a car and fancy a help with petrol costs? Just want to bump into a few folk heading in the same direction?

Surfers who surf near Stranraer (Labrax)

Postby lucebayjack » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:41 am

Hi Guys,

New to here, new to surfing and new to the Stranraer area. Looking to get surfing down at the legendery Labrax break but any time i have made the suspesnion busting journey it has been shite. Any one on here surf down that way? Would be great to have more than me and my gf out on the waves who can perhaps give us some local info.

I also kite surf on Luce Bay when the winds good if any of you guys are into that too.

Cheers,

Jack
lucebayjack

Re: Surfers who surf near Stranraer (Labrax)

Postby Chris F » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:02 pm

If' you've moved there i would get some climbing gear or a mountain bike to have some fun and wait until autumn for any chance of swells.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:38 pm

Needs a big NW swell to squeeze through .............. or big SSw wind swell coming up the Irish Sea
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby lucebayjack » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Chris F wrote:If' you've moved there i would get some climbing gear or a mountain bike to have some fun and wait until autumn for any chance of swells.

got the climbing gear, have had a few bouldering sessions but wouldn't say the area is outstanding for climbing by the looks of it. Any 1 on here climb and want to show me some routes?
lucebayjack

Postby Chris F » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:46 am

Have you got the SMC Lowland outcrops? Or Bouldering in Scotland.

No shortage of climbing, unfortunately wrong end of the country for me.

Some info here too

http://www.needlesports.com/NeedleSports/Galloway/gallowayindex.htm

http://www.johnbiggar.com/galloway-climbing-index.asp

Bouldering at Labrax looks cool in the guide, as does Garheugh Point.

Wrong forum for climbers I think. Only a couple on here.
Chris F

Postby georgegibsonclark » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Try Port Logan on a big south west wind swell. Scored some nice 2-3ft clean waves last time there was a 7ft windswell in the irish sea. The swell should wrap round into the bay and even with strong winds it should be cross-off shore.Couldn't believe my luck when I found it after checking two three other potential locations in the area. Check barrel rock forecast/report (isle of man) to see if there is anything over 5ft moving 7s period.

There is also a gnarly left at the harbour entrance to Portpatrick. I watched it for about an hour but it looked seriously shallow and very unpredictable.

Another possible location could be Clanyard bay, just south of Port Logan. Couldn't find the road down but judging from google earth it looks like it could have the potential for a nice left at the south end.

Ardwell bay was super clean ( off shore ) but very very small. Maybe on a bigger south west swell and on high tide?

Kilintringan point looks like it could have some serious potential for a nice left. Take the road down to the light house and you will find a parking spot on the hill side. Swell wraps round but the wind was too dangerous and I was feert I'd get blown down the bay too far. Upon checking at high tide the swell wasn't breaking but I think on a lower point it could be working!

Surfing around Stranraer is possible. I even used my 6.6 with ease at portlogan during July!
georgegibsonclark

Return to Ride Share