BEST IN IRELAND THIS WINTER

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

BEST IN IRELAND THIS WINTER

Postby young un » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm thinking of making a trip to ireland about christmas time and i was just wondering about what looks to be the best spot(s) at that time. I'm pretty decent, but nothing like prowlers ( :shock: ) is on the menu. Any suggestions?
young un

Re: BEST IN IRELAND THIS WINTER

Postby hugo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:37 am

good surf on most of the coasts round this time of year, pretty much from cork to kerry to sligo. anywhere east of cork (irish) doesnt have great surf.
gets quite windy this time of year, but when you find a break in the wind or a sheltered spot its fantastic!!! Brandon bay in kerry is a great place, about 2 hours from cork city. lots of different breaks etc!!

where are you going to be based?
hugo

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:31 pm

An Clar ...Up the Banner

Head for West Clare mate , loads of options, shelter too if you know where to look
ATTMFKH

Postby armchairtiger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm heading to co sligo for 5 days over the new year. I've never been later than October so have always used my billabong foil 3/2. Do you reckon I'll get away with adding a hood and vest to add a couple of mm - maybe one of these:

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=908

...with booties and gloves of course. Will a 5mm suit make a massive difference in comparison?

Maybe a silly question so would love to know as I've only surfed once in darkest winter in Cornwall in Feb and was too hungover to notice :)
armchairtiger

Postby paulyb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Come up to Donegal for a few days! Good waves and good craic. But bring your winter wetsuit
paulyb

Postby mick160 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Has anyone surfed St Finians Bay in Kerry?
mick160

Postby defever » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:19 pm

How did it go, and where did you go in the end?? I hope you had a blast.

I was thinking the same but when I saw the ferry price...I went to Wales instead (which was brilliant).

Very basic information but is this accurate? http://www.isasurf.ie/where-to-surf/

I would like to visit Sligo or Donegal (Bundoran) at some point so I would like to hear more about it.
Would be at least 5/3mm with hood gloves and boots at this time of the year, no?
defever

Postby dermo909 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:40 am

If you are making the trip to Ireland you have to check out Bundoran and Lahinch. Loads of options in both places. Ignore the south coast because its very unreliable.

Bundoran is great, loads of waves in a very small area. I've only surfed Tullan strand there but there's a reef break(the peak) which gets all the attention. http://magicseaweed.com/Bundoran-The-Pe ... Report/50/

I'd also recommend Lahinch in Co. Clare. My favourite place to surf in Ireland.
dermo909

Postby r896neo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 pm

How about the north coast? mainly beach breaks to choose from but check out the link for photo;s of the surf the last few weeks. It's been firing.

The other bonus is the prevailing wind in portrush is offshore where as the west coast has more spots and loads of reefs etc but can be 40mph onshore a lot.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/troggsdotcom
r896neo

Postby defever » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Reviving this...

I'm hoping to go to Bundoran - Sligo around next Christmas. I haven't really looked at anywhere else.

Now, what would be the easiest way to get there from south of England? Take ferry from Holyhead to Dublin and drive?
Which website is fairly cheap to book a ferry?
Do I need anything to drive a UK registered car (I have never taken my car out of UK so I know little about legality and insurance)?
Any tips from regular Eire - UK drivers on doing this sort of trip?

I have plenty of time to think about this, and little bit of help is humbly appreciated.

Thank you!
defever

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:39 am

From South UK surely Fishguard to Rosslare is a quicker option - Motorway most of the way to Pembroke now.

Google and shop around for ferry fares. I used to use ferrysavers.co.uk but haven't used them for a while.

Not sure it matters where your car is registered, just make sure you check you are still covered for insurance and breakdown cover.
Chris F

Postby dermo909 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 am

The drive from Rosslare to Bundoran will be an absolute bitch! At least 5hrs and more likely 6/7 because you'll need to stop at some stage!

It'll definitely be worth it if the swell is co-operating but be prepared to abandon all plans to head to Bundoran if the waves are better elsewhere in the country! Most places on the west coast are within 2/3hrs of each other.
dermo909

Postby defever » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:14 am

ah just seen the new posts. Thanks Chris and Dermo

I did a couple route plan on google map from southeast to Bundoran 1)via Fishguard-Rosslare and 2)via Holyhead - Dublin:

The drive from southeast England to either Fishguard (320mi) or Holyhead (360mi) is not much different, just 30min longer to get to Holyhead.
The ferry time is pretty much the same with either Fisguard-Rosslare or Holyhead-Dun Laoghaire (Dublin) (2.5hrs).
But the drive to Bundoran from Rosslare or Dublin makes quite a bit of difference: Bundoran is 4.5hrs from Rosslare and just under 3hrs from Dublin.

So depending on how frequent and convienient the ferry departures are from each port, Holyhead route might save me 1hr or so of driving from southeast of England. Interesting.

Another factor besides time is money. I think the ferry prices are the same? and Diesel in Ireland? If fuel is cheaper in England, then I'll do most of the drive in England (i.e. via Holyhead) and if diesel is MUCH cheaper in Ireland, it might work out economical (but not time saving) to drive more once I go across the water (i.e. Rosslare)...
defever

Return to Surf Travel