Heavy 6ft board (retro/egg shape)

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Heavy 6ft board (retro/egg shape)

Postby Dickie Mac » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi,

There are loads of threads on here about board choice et, especially for beginners, but can't find one concerning my particular problem. I'd appreciate any advice from people who know about boards.

Basically I've got my hands on a 6ft x 21 x 2 7/8 board, very wide and fat and hardly any rocker, and it's really heavy (I think this is due to a really heavy glass job - 10oz top and 8oz bottom, I think). To give you an idea, it's noticeably heavier than a mate's 7ft6 minimal, and miles heavier than my 6ft8 x 18 5/8 x 2 1/2 shortboard. Basically I want to ask if anyone who knows what they're talking about thinks a board of these dimensions should reasonably weigh this much? I've just been surprised by the weight. It's not a pop out and not epoxy - hand shaped from a traditional blank. Whatever the advice, I'll be sticking with the board cos I've stumped up the cash and there's no returns - I was just wondering what people thought, out of curiosity.

I surfed it twice over the weekend - it flew in 2-3ft messy stuff yesterday and 3ft cleaner today, gives me an earlier takeoff and more stability on the pop up than the shortboard - exactly what I bought it for. The only problem so far has been that as it's so heavy I don't feel that safe on it - I'm still at the stage where I'm having loads of wipeouts, and on the bigger sets today, where the wipeouts are that bit more spectacular, I couldn't help thinking that if this thing comes back and dinks me on the back of the nut (as the shortboard has done a fair few times in the 3 months or so I've been surfing) it could be Goodnight Vienna, due to the weight of the thing.

So, anyone think it's unusual that a 6ft egg(ish) shape weighs more than a 7ft6 minimal? And does anyone have any tips when it comes to surfing heavier boards please?

Cheers,

Dickie
Dickie Mac

Re: Heavy 6ft board (retro/egg shape)

Postby Chris F » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:16 am

Shaper, Model, Dimensions?

Pics?
Chris F

Postby Dickie Mac » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:49 am

Chris F wrote:Shaper, Model, Dimensions?

Pics?

Alright Chris,
I deliberately didn't mention the shaper, cos I didn't want people googling for reviews on his boards to come across my negative comments. The shape seems good so far - it absolutely flew on messy 2-3ft on Saturday, plenty of float and stability for a newish surfer like me (I'm 5 foot 10, 12.5 stone). I was just a bit worried that the weight might be an issue, particularly in bigger surf, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this? After saturdays session I was pretty happy with it, but after yesterday I was worrying i I've spent my money on a bad board - is it normal that such a small board should weigh so much (even if it is chunky)?
The dimensions are 6ft x 21" x 2 7/8". It's pretty beefy. Why do you want pics?
Dickie Mac

Postby Bearded Gimp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:22 am

Is it full of water?

Stick it on the scales and post up how much it weighs. I weighed my 6'3 McCoy nugget (noted for heavy glass jobs) the other day and if I remember right it was around 9lbs. That's around double a light epoxy board and maybe 1.75 times a regularly glassed PU board. Do an advanced Google search on swaylocks.com and I'm sure you'll find lots of discussion about board weight.

Surfing-wise, as long as a board is shaped well the extra weight shouldn't matter. Except if it twats you in the head of course. If you wipe out and don't know where the board has gone, cover your head with your arms as you're resurfacing to protect yourself. After a while, you'll learn where the board is going to end up when you fall and judge whether it's likely to hit you or not.
Bearded Gimp

Postby Dickie Mac » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:56 am

Bearded Gimp wrote:Is it full of water?

Stick it on the scales and post up how much it weighs. I weighed my 6'3 McCoy nugget (noted for heavy glass jobs) the other day and if I remember right it was around 9lbs. That's around double a light epoxy board and maybe 1.75 times a regularly glassed PU board. Do an advanced Google search on swaylocks.com and I'm sure you'll find lots of discussion about board weight.

Surfing-wise, as long as a board is shaped well the extra weight shouldn't matter. Except if it twats you in the head of course. If you wipe out and don't know where the board has gone, cover your head with your arms as you're resurfacing to protect yourself. After a while, you'll learn where the board is going to end up when you fall and judge whether it's likely to hit you or not.

Cheers mate that is exactly what I was after. I'll try and weigh it tonight and post it up. The egg is probs 1.75 to 2 times the weight of my shortboard (just an estimate based on how they feel in my hands) so your info is reassuring.

As I say, I think the shapes good, cos it flies - was just a bit surprised by the weight. Good to hear that that shouldn't matter.
Dickie Mac

Postby Dickie Mac » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Just weighed the board on some rickety old bathroom scales, and it seemed to be between 4 and 5 kg so that would make it 9 to 11 pounds. So, that's not too bad at all - probs only a pound or two heavier than your Nugget mate. I've only ever surfed two other boards, which were both a lot lighter, so I was just a bit alarmed by the weight of this new one. I reckon based on your advice I've got nothing to worry about! Cheers!
Dickie Mac

Return to Learn to Surf