Help With Bottom Turns

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Help With Bottom Turns

Postby Gromsaresostokedlike » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:20 pm

I've been surfing since summer on and off depending on sea conditions and I feel like trying out some turns. Would appreciate any advice on what the best method of executing a bottom turn. I'm riding a 7"2 minimal. Thanks :)
Gromsaresostokedlike

Re: Help With Bottom Turns

Postby KennyW » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:20 pm

I'll get you started, my tip for the day is look where you wanna go :)
KennyW

Postby Gromsaresostokedlike » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks KennyW
What about the feet? (I'm a goofy footer) So if you wanted to go towards the lip, just angle your board/self that way? :)
Gromsaresostokedlike

Postby jp246 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:46 am

Consciously try to turn your waist/body in the direction you want to go.
jp246

Postby Gromsaresostokedlike » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 am

Ok I'll give it a go next time i'm out :D
Last edited by Gromsaresostokedlike on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gromsaresostokedlike

Postby bombie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:36 pm

All of the following assumes you are riding on the green face of the wave and going forehand (ie chest facing the wave) (if not, then start by angling your board on take off so that instead of pointing straight at the beach (perpendicular to the breaking wave) you point along the direction that the wave is breaking).

First point your board at the trough of the wave, you can't bottom turn if you are in the top third of the wave (ie just riding along on the green face with the board in trim). Put a small amount of pressure on your heel, this will turn the board down the face to the trough of the wave. You will accelerate.

You need a bit of bend in your knees - you can't turn standing up with straight legs - so compress downward a bit.

Once you have gone down the face of the wave into the trough then rotate your body in the direction you want to go - ie look at where you want the top of the turn to be and rotate your front shoulder and arm toward that spot (which for you is your right shoulder and arm). At the same time as rotating your torso uncompress your legs (straighten them a bit) to apply weight and pressure to the inside rail. Applying more weight/pressure to the backfoot will cause the board to turn faster. You will be leaning into the wave.

Also try compressing/uncompressing in less exaggerated turns while travelling along the face of the wave, this won't change your direction as the board only rises and falls up the face of the wave and will generate speed - and you can use it to get around sections that crumble in front of you.
bombie

Postby lorcar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:19 am

more than in terms of torso turning, you should be thinking in terms of coil and spring, weight transfer from your body to your legs and rail+fins. This made a huge difference for me. Just turning your torso/head/shoulders without weight transfer didn't bring me anywhere. If you look at videos, you'll see surfers always bending before bottom turning. see attachments
Attachments
surf frontside bottom turn.jpg
surf frontside bottom turn.jpg (135.18 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
surf backside bottom turn.jpg
surf backside bottom turn.jpg (121.68 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
lorcar

Postby philo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:07 pm

I feel like when i bottom turn i pump it through my body like a wave of motion, bend my knees in so the rail digs into the water and then push them straighter when i twist, if that makes sense?
philo

Postby Gromsaresostokedlike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Those articles are awesome :) thanks for posting them. So frontside is easier than backside bottom turn ?
Gromsaresostokedlike

Postby flacky » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Backside is harder cos you are looking back over your shoulder, you really can't see what's going on with your feet/board. You have to be a lot more determined and purposeful backside.
flacky

Postby Gromsaresostokedlike » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:27 pm

So would I have to go left or wouldn't it matter?
Gromsaresostokedlike

Postby slappywagish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 pm

I usually get in to a different frame of mind with my turning. really got in to retro lazy soul surfing last summer. watch some old flics or donavon frankenreiter has some of the sweetest longest effortless bottom turns in the business. I find when i think like this i put a bit of a swing into my hips that gives it a nice looong sweeping turn.
slappywagish

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:10 am

Here's my tip...wait for or find the speed. Sometimes you'll get a wave and never really get quite enough speed for a really good bottom turn. It's nothing to get too bummed about, it happens sometimes. You need to remember that in order to really get aggressive with the bottom turn and go steep toward the lip you need lots of speed, otherwise you will find you bury the rail and sink. So stick close to the pocket and pick your moment. I actually found watching Mick Fanning really helped me. Not that I can pull off anywhere near the kind of turn he is capable of his delay in waiting for the bottom turn and picking his moment to go back toward the lip is quite exagerated. Check out some footage of some of his contest heats (especially camera angles that look down the wave) and you'll see what I mean.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Chris F » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm

philo wrote:I feel like when i bottom turn i pump it through my body like a wave of motion, bend my knees in so the rail digs into the water and then push them straighter when i twist, if that makes sense?

Like a dyno in reverse :lol:
Chris F

Postby samiad66 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:36 pm

A great tip someone once pointed out to me and really helped was simply to [delay you bottom turn just for a split second slower especially when your just about to come off the bottom, so when the wave catches up with you, you lighten up and fly up the face with very little effort getting lots of power and projection.

I found that what I thought was a decent bottom turn, actually from shore looked more like a mid face pump until i tried this tip.
samiad66

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 pm

yeah delay until you really have the speed, the wave will come toward you. As I said above watch some footage of Fanning in action, you can really see it in his surfing
Jim Birtwisle

Postby hotzone » Tue May 01, 2012 3:45 pm

you can try to look at the lip and leave your back knee more bent in..
cheers,
oscar
hotzone

Return to Learn to Surf