the ocean is for everyone to enjoy!!

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

the ocean is for everyone to enjoy!!

Postby wavemoore » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 pm

why should we lose our spots? i caught my first waves in newquay bay as a pre-teen. as a small child i spent all summer on the beach with my parents. my father being a waterman and liking anything to do with water sports constantly pushed me to feel the same way so i was always in the waves, swimming pool or lakes and rivers having a laugh. i had a polystyrene boogie board and would always look at the guys out back ripping but be to small to make out there. when i got given my first proper board, an 1980s clark foam fish that had more repairs than board, i was well and truly stoked. this guy, long hair, ripped jeans and combat boots (the look of 1990s cornwall coasts) with a less than expensive lifestyle, a proper surfer in my eyes, basically gave me this board. it was like that then, as a kid thats what happened. you would get taken in by the older guys, they'd get you a board and show you the ropes. people would chat in the water, shout each other onto waves, if someone was in a better position the wave would be theirs....WHAT HAPPENED!??!!! (off subject but these new yuppie surfers have made our sport so expensive!!!)
now its a free for all. bodies everywhere, less and less familiar faces all getting driven away by the hoards of new comers with fancy cars and all the gear. these guys have no awareness of there surroundings nor the people that have been at these spots for years. if i dropped in or tried to muscle my way through as a grom i would have got given hell and get told to chill out they'll be more waves. now i spend most of my time in the water paddling up and down trying to get away from these muppets. i call it bum clubbing because i feel like asking them if they fancy me then explain that following me one way then the other and always going for the same waves is not going to get them better waves and is not cool especially when nice waves are rolling through underneath them and they are battling me for supremacy...F OFF! GO PLAY FOOTBALL OR SOMETHING!!! (i'm always surfing the crap shoulders to get away from the crowd!)
the point is that today a guy muscling all the decent waves in a already crowded line up leaving me to try and paddle onto cast offs with no power grabbed my leash as i took off. i was getting fed up and admittedly did force myself in deeper, but i was deeper. the leash then wrapped around his finger and hurt him. his reaction was i "shouldn't be surfing this spot" well shocked i replied "i've been surfing here 20years!". i didn't explain this to him but i wanted to say not so much over the last five years or so but for the reason that people like you surf here. i have seen this guy there a lot when i do brave newquay over the last year or 2 but he is not from these parts.
we are all losing our spots, even the secret ones! we need to all pull these guys over and say "chill out, they'll be more waves and give us some space eh!, no need to sit on my lap" and "don't paddle up behind me when i take off, try and beat me onto to waves and ruin it for both of us, they'll be one behind and DON'T DROP IN!!" you lot don't own the spot because you surfed it for a year the ocean is for everyone!!!!
wavemoore

Re: the ocean is for everyone to enjoy!!

Postby Skipp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:00 am

I get what your saying but you don't have to spam the entire forum with the same post. Once is enough.
Skipp

Postby wavemoore » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:25 am

sorry mate got myself all worked up,,,again.
wavemoore

Postby jiggie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Hay wavemoore

You keep having a pop at every one me thinks its not them it maybe you .. maybe next time you go out .. show a little peace and love .. you get back what you put out ... :-D
jiggie

Postby wavemoore » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:41 pm

itry believe me. but why if its me do so many of the old crowd feel the same!??
wavemoore

Postby Murtle's magic board » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:52 pm

I agree with what you said, having only just started surfing the bay I experienced the worst surf of my like with two blokes sat on my shoulder... Moving when I moved... Even trying to paddle onto a wave I was clearly about to pop up on.. He was nearly sat on my shoulder at one point... Boy did it piss me off.. I nearly lost my cool and told him his life history... Then I remembered why I surfed ... Chilled out.. Had I lost my cool I would off been as bad as him... The surf is for all of us to enjoy... And I love it..There are on occasions real pricks but they are the minority..
Murtle's magic board

Postby wavemoore » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:41 am

paddled out at fistral in the dull morning light yesterday. had a pretty cool surf, not epic, the waves were a little small and weak but i had plenty of them.
funny how it was quite clean and fun but the bad weather seems to keep the posers, muppets, tourists, up country lot, ozzies and south africans (better than thow complex) at bay.

LET IT RAIN!!!! lol
wavemoore

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:44 pm

So after looking down your nose at the...
wavemoore wrote:posers, muppets, tourists, up country lot, ozzies and south africans

You don't think you have a
wavemoore wrote:better than thow complex

Time for some introspection me thinks. :-|
Poo Stance

Postby Chris F » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:11 pm

And some spelling lessons. You don't want anyone thinking you are a fucking idiot.
Chris F

Postby wavemoore » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:28 pm

eh boys calm down, calm down, eh, eh, eh!
wavemoore

Postby wavemoore » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Poo Stance wrote:So after looking down your nose at the...
wavemoore wrote:posers, muppets, tourists, up country lot, ozzies and south africans

You don't think you have a
wavemoore wrote:better than thow complex

Time for some introspection me thinks. :-|

spending two/three hours in the water and only getting a couple of waves while nearly getting hit by poo men every minutes, being snaked, dropped in on and twats not paying attention always getting in the friggin way does get my back up. that's not looking down my nose, far from it. its called getting pissed off! anyway's, had an ok wave sunday once the water emptied, probably all got out to watch the footy.
wavemoore

Postby kookie-monster » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:43 am

How the fuck do you manage to keep your balance with that enormous chip on your shoulder?
kookie-monster

Postby Chris F » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 pm

I think he has one on both by the sounds of it.

Nothing worse than a grown man whining. Anyone who uses a term like "old crowd" should be spurned like a rabid dog.
Chris F

Postby KennyW » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:30 pm

I've only been surfing Newquay for a year or so, but I agree with what you're saying, my heart is definitely in the spirit of the older surfing ways. I think that its only right for me to do my time on the rubbish until I get good enough to deserve a shot at the good stuff on a good day, and I do my best to stay out of the way and pick up the smaller left overs. I think the general social break down, with every man seeming to be out for himself, may be seeping into surfing, but when its seeping into every corner of our society how can we expect it not to seep into surfing? Do on to others what you would have them do on to you, thats how I approach the problem. Sorry to use a religious quote, but its meaning is not a religious one, its a social one.
KennyW

Postby jesster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:28 am

The water is getting busier, it's as simple as that. Most animals get stressed by overcrowding, humans are not much different. I do find Fistral can sometimes be more aggro than Watergate, so mostly I choose the mellower wave/vibe at Watergate. There are nice people everywhere (but some real twits too!) and no one wins if we all have a bad attitude in the water.
jesster

Return to Learn to Surf