New to this...

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

New to this...

Postby adrenalineluke » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 am

Hello everyone, my names Luke. Hope all you guys are good?
I've been racing bikes and moto-x for ever but am getting tired of the increasing costs of it all. I recently went on a family holiday to Cornwall and had an afternoon lesson at Holywell bay with their surf school. Bloke called Andrew was spot on , really good day and have since got absolutely hooked!! Definitely found a new addiction!! The only problem is I live quite far in-land, a place called Newbury just south of Oxford. I am basicly asking if there is anywhere on the southcoast people can reccommend to get started, i.e Bournemouth or similar. I don't mind travelling a bit and then a few times a year in Cornwall etc..

Cheers Luke
adrenalineluke

Re: New to this...

Postby the lush » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:55 am

The Witterings would also be a good bet for you. Nice and easy to get to and not that crowded usually. The waves are generally ok for learning and there are a couple of spots to surf down there. There are a couple of shops in the village to rent boards and wetsuits from and some nice cafes for eating. Check the webcams and the eyeball reports before heading down as the normal reports can be a bit misleading at this spot.

Good luck and see you down there soon. (I'll be the one walking a chocolate labradoodle after surfing so say hi if you see me)
the lush

Postby adrenalineluke » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:19 pm

cheers for that, not too far away!! Also do people head out during colder months, is it a case of just getting a thicker suit?
adrenalineluke

Postby Black » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:31 pm

adrenalineluke wrote:cheers for that, not too far away!! Also do people head out during colder months, is it a case of just getting a thicker suit?

Yes that's the gist of it & Holywell is a good place to start.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Leven » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 pm

the lush wrote:Good luck and see you down there soon. (I'll be the one walking a chocolate labradoodle after surfing so say hi if you see me)

A Labradoodle?! Surely that must've been doggy rape.....
Leven

Postby Black » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Leven wrote:
the lush wrote:Good luck and see you down there soon. (I'll be the one walking a chocolate labradoodle after surfing so say hi if you see me)

A Labradoodle?! Surely that must've been doggy rape.....

A standard poodle is a big dog.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby b_smith94 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:42 pm

hi,
I surf in Bournemouth/Boscombe (right next to bournemouth) all year round and go down to cornwall in the summer
for holiday. The surf in Bournemouth is to be honest inconsistent in the summer months but in the winter from November to March its pretty good and consistent so it may be worth taking the trip down here. However I do recommend you check this webcam/report before you make the trip down to avoid disappointment.

http://www.sortedsurfshop.co.uk/weather ... m=boscombe

hope this helps.
b_smith94

Postby adrenalineluke » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:16 am

Cheers for that, Bournemouth is only about an hour away so will head down there over the next couple of weeks and see what it's like. I'm still in need of a board if anyone has any suggestions...im a complete beginner, 5'10 13st (big glutes)..any reccomendations??

Cheers for the advice everyone,
adrenalineluke

Postby Drumm » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:39 pm

I only learnt to surf this year, and I go to Boscombe a lot. I find it easier there as the waves are smaller, and less intimidating for a beginner.
I have used Bournemouth Surf Steps school to start me on my way, and have done a number of practice sessions where I hired board for 2 hours for £15 and was supervised - often they help you out and give you tips too. I have just bought my own board, and went back to the school for a private lesson to start me off.
So, if you need a hire place, I defo recommend them. Oh, and if you see someone on a board making a hash of surfing.....give me a wave!
Drumm

Return to Learn to Surf