Surf Buddy

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Surf Buddy

Postby cheddar » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:57 pm

hey guys,

i'm a girl, just moved to bristol and am hoping to get surfing again.. i have surfed before but always get to that stage where i'm just beginning to go out back when i have to drop it again due to not living near the coast or some other silly reason and then i loose my nerve. so, i really want to get past that this time but my confidence is shot.. its been months since i was in the water with my board and had a bit of a scare as i was in out of my depth in gisbourne and got smashed. that is my main problem, not being able to judge scale from the shore. just lack of experience i suppose.

is there anyone about that is just about to graduate from the white water or new to being out back in and around north devon maybe (or closer to bristol) that fancies a surf buddy? or just someone who wouldn't mind me tagging along on the smaller stuff. i am off on sundays and mondays and have some saturdays owed to me soon.. i'm keen to keep going through winter to really make a good stab at this.
cheddar

Re: Surf Buddy

Postby Jasedrummer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi...what is you are scared of by going out the back past the breaking waves?
If it is getting smashed by big waves trying to paddle out go on small days, say about 2 ft.....you should be able to just paddle over these, both when unbroken or broken. If the waves are only 2 ft you are more likely to be nearer the shore so not too deep, but even if you can touch the floor by standing up it's good to practice sitting on your board when you can instead.
If the waves are over 3ft the depending on your board you need to duck dive or turtle roll......again practice this in shallow water until you feel confident.
Try to avoid days when it's windy and choppy....easier said than done I know, but the surf will be unpredictable and can be difficult to negoiate. Also keep an eye on the wave period....7 seconds and lower is not good, usually a sign of waves created by wind - usually also means more frequent lines of whitewater to paddle through on the way out back.
Pick yourself a good beach to learn on......places like croyde look great but are best left to more experienced surfers for now....if you are in Bristol then Southerndown is a good option. It's only 45 minutes away, not usually that busy and the paddle out to the back is pretty easy....
If you are stil in doubt then why not get a lesson or two - try pothcawlsurf.co.uk
On the surf buddy thing there used to be a surf club in Bristol - might be considering?
Jasedrummer

Postby Paul C » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:59 pm

Cheddar, looks like I am in a similar situation to you surfwise. I started surfing late in life at 55 in 2008 and since late last year have been trying to go from white waves to green waves which I find difficult. Most times I either cannot get the board moving enough by paddling or the tail of the board tips up and I slide off. I can sometimes catch a small wave though that is just about to break, sort of green when I catch it but white before I get up.
I too find it difficult to go out back a lot of the time, if I duck dive I get thrown back to where I started from so cannot get out there. Lying on the board I cannot exactly see where I am in between the waves and after a lot of paddling I think I may have gone out a bit but I look across sideways and can see someone standing only waist deep so I haven't moved anywhere and if anything I am closer to the beach than when I started.
I find the easiest way to go out back is sometimes there is a quiet period for a couple of minutes when there is no white waves and I paddle out before they come back.
I usually surf at Fistral where there are other surfers around and the beach is lifeguarded. I haven't been put off much and keep persevering, after all, looking back it took me 20 sessions before I could even stand up three years ago.
I find that most surfers are usually friendly at both ends of the scale regardless of ability and I wish now that I started years earlier although it wasn't always possible for everyone in those days.
Good luck Cheddar and keep it up. :wink:
Paul C

Postby cheddar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:36 pm

hi guys, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Jase- getting knocked about on my way out is probably a big part of it. i know i just need to keep heading out and that with practice and paddle fitness, that part gets easier. funny, not being able to touch the bottom isn't so much an issue with me. ONE less thing to worry about! i have a fairly fat fish and had only used mini-mals before, so i am starting to try duck diving now but not beating myself up too much about it as i know my board is pretty boyant. thanks for the tip of the other surf spots though, i think i may venture to those on my next day off (when i shake my cold!)

Paul - good on you! it sounds like we are in the same boat alright. i'm totally aware it is a case of just keep trying!!! that is what is great and infuriating about surfing, is that one minute, you have it, the next you don't! i suppose i'm a bit self conscience, which i know is silly as everyone had to start somewhere but i'm afraid i'll get in the way and spoil a wave for someone else. need to knock that notion right out or i'll never improve eh!?

thanks again guys
cheddar

Postby jiggie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Keep it going cheddar , I know what you mean about getting knocked, took a full on blow from my board to my face and near knocked me out .. but i will say a couple of weeks on and a few nice waves and its all just a memory ( all be it not a good one ) its all to do with mind over matter .. think you can surf well and nail each turn and you will , or think your going to have a rough time and more than likely you will ... any how Keep smiling :-D :-D .. If you do get up to wales ( near porthcawl or rest bay or southern down?? ) at any point let me know whats its like been meaning to try a surf there for ages .. i work in avonmouth during the week so would be nice to find a close spot to that .. any ways happy days ... :-D :-D
jiggie

Postby dixiesgirl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:54 pm

hey chedder, im bristol based aswell. after a good few months not surfing i feel like newbie when out there. what beaches do you surf?
dixiesgirl

Postby Drumm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Hey
I'm new to surfing - see my post in ride share section
I surf on sundays, so if you want to get together, just let me know
Drumm

Postby cheddar » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:37 am

hey everyone, i totally forgot this forum doesn't email you when someone posts! :oops:

jiggie - thanks for the words of encouragement and i will give you a shout if i'm heading up that way!

dixiesgirl - i don't really have a beach at the minute as i've not been out since moving to the uk. i was thinking north devon but south wales sounds closer and a little bit more manageable. where do you surf?

drumm - sounds brilliant. sundays will suit me again very soon. so you don't need to take a board is that right? you hire when you get there? i usually stick my board in the car and the second person sits in the back. but i am looking to invest in soft racks soon.
cheddar

Postby Drumm » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:03 pm

cheddar

give me a shout on scoots180@live.co.uk and we can sort something out
Drumm

Postby huw4123 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:12 am

Hey guys. I've been surfing for a while, I live in Cardiff and quite a few of mates who surf have moved away or back home. I am happy to surf with all abilities, it's all about fun and not ability. Surfing always more fun with a group. Everyone has to start somewhere and most beaches in South Wales is friendly to all abilities. My email is huw4123@hotmail.com. Feel free to send me an email of your contact details and we can sort out a surf.
huw4123

Postby huw4123 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 am

Sorry my email is huw4123@hotmail.co.uk (not.com)
huw4123

Postby roberdy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:05 am

cheddar wrote:hey everyone, i totally forgot this forum doesn't email you when someone posts! :oops:

You need to subscribe to a topic, the board doesn't do it for you.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Return to Learn to Surf