Foot positioning

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Foot positioning

Postby Tony_Flow » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Hey guys and gals

Just a quick question about foot positioning when getting down the line

I can catch the wave and get straight down and i can also bottom turn into the wave but i am wondering if having my front foot closer to the wave-side rail is gonna help me get down the line faster or if its even that how would you describe the proper foot positioning and/or board positioning when going down the line.

basically i want to be able to speed up and slow down while on the wave

cheers

TF
Tony_Flow

Re: Foot positioning

Postby Black » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:13 pm

You don't really need your feet anywhere other than on the stringer to do almost any manoeuvre on a wave.
A basic rule for speed is:
forward weight = faster
back weight = slower

Cheers :-)
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby errantsurf » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi Tony,

You'll be quite surprised at actually how little your feet affect the ability to generate speed. In fact, at the level you suggest, you are probably not using your arms and compressing your body to drive out of the bottom turn. Its a weighting/un-weighting movement that creates speed.

Here just found this for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEUM4fCde40

Good luck!
Errant Surf

Surfing Holidays - ATOL Bonded flights - Surf Charter Boats - Surf Schools
(+44) 020 8133 6438 | www.errantsurf.com |
errantsurf

Postby Poo Stance » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Get on a skateboard in a halfpipe and pump pump pump. That'll teach you how to generate speed in the surf. Or watch Fanning surf.
Poo Stance

Postby monkeystyle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Keep you feet central and you can turn off both rails, if you are going backhand twist your upper body so you face down the line... Best advice I ever received after years of bogging my back foot on the bottom turn.
I was called off a wave by a hipster who looked like Leo Sayer... whats with the ironic moustache look?
monkeystyle

Postby monkeystyle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 am

Watched a guy purposely move his front foot forward in the middle of a bottom turn to set up for a barrel today... 6 foot wave too with a double overhead vertical takeoff. Classy move. Shows that foot positioning is very conscious.
I was called off a wave by a hipster who looked like Leo Sayer... whats with the ironic moustache look?
monkeystyle

Postby Tony_Flow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Cheers everyone

I took off and then I got around a bit of white water to another clean section today just went with it and it worked. That vid really helped too, sound!

TF
Tony_Flow

Return to Learn to Surf