drying boots and gloves

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

drying boots and gloves

Postby stormarria » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:06 pm

does anyone have any good tips for drying the insides of bootes and gloves (fleece inners or neoprene) as i dont mind to much about having to put wet or damp ones on but becuse they take so long to dry when i go to use them it smells like someone been storing stilton in them.and there impossible to turn inside out.
stormarria

Re: drying boots and gloves

Postby splinter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Rinse each boot with clean water and a squirt of shower gel when you get home. Leave to dry on kitchen radiator (with a towel under the boots) overnight.

The soapy water and quick drying help to keep the fabulous stench to a minimum, although you will never completely eliminate it.
splinter

Postby roberdy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:30 pm

word of warning shower gel is not that kind to neoprene! You are better off with some piss off or McNetts
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby WP101 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 pm

roberdy wrote:word of warning shower gel is not that kind to neoprene! You are better off with some piss off or McNetts

or listerine, anti bacterial, just a half cap per boot..but yeah on a radiator is the only way ive found unless its warm and windy out
WP101

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Drying on a radiator is a sure way to stink your house out as the pong rises with the hot air and travels round the house.

Thank god it is summer - best chance of drying out gear quick.

For your wetsuit - just turn it inside out to dry....at least when you shove it on after a day or so it is dryish on the inside.
skimmer2

Postby Vince Noir » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:56 pm

neoprene can melt to the radiator so id put a tea towel on it first
Vince Noir

Postby Bran Dog » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:45 am

Stop pissing in your gear and the bang of ditch mightn't be so keen to honk out your gaff. :lol:
Bran Dog

Postby Chris F » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:06 pm

WP101 wrote:or listerine, anti bacterial, just a half cap per boot

The mouthwash?
Chris F

Postby WP101 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:25 am

Chris F wrote:
WP101 wrote:or listerine, anti bacterial, just a half cap per boot

The mouthwash?

works a treat man, kills the bacteria that causes the stench
WP101

Postby Chris F » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 am

And leaves your hands smelling minty fresh!
Chris F

Postby Underdog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Version 3 with the retro fitted Hood attachment (which required the retrofitted foldable stabilizers) :-)

Juat need to get the Mrs a new broomstick now
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby swiggy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:47 pm

swiggy

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 pm

How about using something like this ( http://www.savenrgvi.com/ice/metamorph_ ... ravent.htm )to build a non-electric hangair? Have the wetty wrapped in a big bag and you could probably hang it outside it it's super windy. A way to dry wetsuits outside in the rain would be a winner for any surfer living out of a van.

Here, I've knocked up a patent application..... 8)

Airhanger.jpg
Airhanger.jpg (123.84 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
Poo Stance

Postby av.surfer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:27 pm

get a job in a power station loads of cooling fans about the place cooling shit down, just hang your wet stuff above them and at the end of your shift get your warm dry wetsuit, boots and gloves and head off for a morning surf! smug!
Well thats what i'm doing right now :lol:
It may not be advisable in a nuclear power plant though.
av.surfer

Postby baggins » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:09 pm

that time of year again folks...

my boots n gloves are hanging outside begging to come in to sit near the kitchen radiator

have to wait until they are just damp not soaked.
Then I bring em in and put them UNDER the radiator hoping the stench stays low and undetected

always get rumbled though....

might give the 'listerine' solution a go - anyone else tried it?
baggins

Postby danny1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:12 pm

My boots are never dry during the winter
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby SurfOnYourBum » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:19 pm

I may be able to help, due to the tradition of the beer bootie where if you come out of your kayak on a river you must drink a beer from your bootie, I like to keep my boots in fine unsmelly condition.

As has been aluded to further up the thread it is them taking a long time to dry that causes the real foulness to set in and the reason that boots tend to take so long to dry is lack of air getting into the main boot. The solution however is simple, stick a bog roll tube into your boot when drying it (I find at a slight angle works best), it holds the neck open and lets air pass around the inside of your boot better meaning quicker drying and far less smelly boots.
Sit Down and Shred!
SurfOnYourBum

Postby cooter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:47 pm

baggins wrote:that time of year again folks...
my boots n gloves are hanging outside begging to come in to sit near the kitchen radiator
have to wait until they are just damp not soaked.
Then I bring em in and put them UNDER the radiator hoping the stench stays low and undetected
always get rumbled though....
might give the 'listerine' solution a go - anyone else tried it?

Inspired by http://vimeo.com/8962674, I used Listerine for the first time after Saturday's session. Drip dried the boots, then stuffed them full of newspaper and sat them on the floor next to the rad, under the table.

Have been expecting a "Dad your feet stink again" any minute, but so far nothing to report. The cunning plan seems to be working.
cooter

Postby dermo909 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 am

I sometimes think if your gear is too dry in winter then you are'nt surfing enough!

I leave my gloves and hood drip dry in the bathroom and then when they get past the wet stage I'll stick them in the airing cupboard right beside the hot water tank :) My boots however never get completely dry and are always at least a little damp but sticking them in a nice warm place does help a bit.
dermo909

Postby Philshoz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:17 pm

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36492

Need I say more....
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby swiggy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:39 am

dermo909 wrote:I sometimes think if your gear is too dry in winter then you are'nt surfing enough!

+1 to this guy, I haven't put a dry wetsuit on since summer, it stays in the boot of the car most of the time, festering away nicely :lol:
swiggy

Postby dermo909 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 am

swiggy wrote:
dermo909 wrote:I sometimes think if your gear is too dry in winter then you are'nt surfing enough!

+1 to this guy, I haven't put a dry wetsuit on since summer, it stays in the boot of the car most of the time, festering away nicely :lol:

Jeez your car must stink!
dermo909

Postby swiggy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:06 am

:lol: I have numb sinuses from surfing lots of dirty east coast spots and not draining the water out, doesn't bother me. Seriously though I always have it in a plastic tub that seals, so it really doesn't make the car damp/smell. I do try to take it out and rinse if theres no waves for a few days, but if I'm surfing consecutive days I can't be arsed. I wear my suits out before they have a chance rot, so its not like I'm shortening the life really..
swiggy

Postby SurfOnYourBum » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:07 pm

swiggy wrote::lol: I have numb sinuses from surfing lots of dirty east coast spots and not draining the water out, doesn't bother me. Seriously though I always have it in a plastic tub that seals, so it really doesn't make the car damp/smell. I do try to take it out and rinse if theres no waves for a few days, but if I'm surfing consecutive days I can't be arsed. I wear my suits out before they have a chance rot, so its not like I'm shortening the life really..

If you take a Thermos flask of warm water in your car with you and chuck it over your wet wetsuit before you put it on it makes it a hell of a lot more pleasant.
Sit Down and Shred!
SurfOnYourBum

Postby defever » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:02 pm

I vouch on WP101's mouthwash trick.

1. One cap of mouthwash + one cap of tap water on each boot.
2. Shake that booty Groove Armada style for 10-20sec or so.
3. Leave it for 10-15min or so to let the mouthwash do its thing.
4. Empty and leave it on the radiator (towel over the radiator as Vince mentioned) toes pointing up the ceiling.

Wetsuit shampoos like Piss-off and McNett have anti-bacterial agent to kill the germs which cause that awful smell.
So basically any anti-bacterial agent works, I think.

I've been using "alcohol-free" mouthwash just in case if the alcohol does anything harmful to neoprene/glue... just my suspicion so I'm not sure if it's the case or I'm just being irrationally paranoid.
defever

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:16 pm

^^been doing the WP101 mouth-wash shuffle myself - started off on Listerine (££) then moved swiftly to Tesco's finest - works a treat 8)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby defever » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Yup, I read your comments on the other thread ATTMFKH.

Listerine, Colegate, supermarket's own brand, etc. I think they all work equally (pretty sure the ingredients are similar)... has one dared to buy Corsodyl for fresh booty? Might as well buy Piss-off or McNett...
defever

Postby dermo909 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am

defever wrote:Yup, I read your comments on the other thread ATTMFKH.

Listerine, Colegate, supermarket's own brand, etc. I think they all work equally (pretty sure the ingredients are similar)... has one dared to buy Corsodyl for fresh booty? Might as well buy Piss-off or McNett...

How certain are we that this stuff does'nt kill neoprene?
dermo909

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:36 pm

dermo909 wrote:
defever wrote:Yup, I read your comments on the other thread ATTMFKH.

How certain are we that this stuff does'nt kill neoprene?

Neoprene is not alive :roll: preeeecious
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby defever » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Googled about surf boot smelling bad and this is what I found:

We know that the bacteria causes the vile smell, but what feeds the bacteria in the boot? Apparently flaky dead skin from our feet and toes remain in the deepest part of the boot and that's what feeds the bacteria to grow.

So, one of the kayak website forum mentioned to rinse with fresh water immediately after a session to wash those dead skin from the boot.

OR WEAR (surf or ordinary) SOCKS!! ha sounds logical. Wear something so the dead skin doesn't build up in your boots! But I have split toe boots and I don't have split toe socks...and I just bought a secondhand, used pair of boots...

Anyone tried wearing socks?
defever

Next

Return to Wetsuits and gear