C'mon... introduce yerself

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: C'mon... introduce yerself

Postby Solomon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Solomon - in name and online

i'm a novice surfer, iv dabbled for years but never committed. spent my late teens on a windsurf board, my 20s on Mountain bikes and Snow Boards, now i'm 30+ im back in the ocean where i belong

been using the magic seaweed app for my surf forcasts for ages but in all honesty i'm joining to ask adivce on the best time to surf local spots, these things being some kind of black art hidden from common folk like me

hope this place is friendly - i havnt worked my way in to any of the local surfing clicks yet so i'm more or less an outsider to the surfing community

well nice to meet you all
- Sol
Solomon

Postby R S » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Hello all, Great website you guys got going on here.
I'm a NOOB member, so might as well introduce myself.

I'm Ross aged 20 from Bristol, UK and i started surfing about a month ago while on holiday in ST ives, i caught my first wave on porthmeor beach after a 2 hour lesson with st ives surf school.
If i wanted to say something cliche i could say it was the week that changed my life :roll: but it really has :lol:

Im heading down to newquay for the weekend on the 28th to get my first session in since september, really excited to get back in the water, regardless of how cold it may be.

see you around
R S

Postby manatwork » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:45 am

Hello,
Real name Pedro. 36 years old. Surfing 25 years and worse now than when I was 18! Habitation is surf city (Newquay) for my sins.
Favourite break....any... before the crowds arrive!
Intro done!
manatwork

Postby FairiesWearBoots » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Black wrote:^^ A Black Sabbath fan?

Yes! recently realised the surf link to the name - and yes I do wear boots in winter
FairiesWearBoots

Postby peter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:54 am

Me, Pete from Europe, I did river surfing in my hometown, 20 mnts ride bike n now I'm in California tried wave surfing, before I did it in France and in Indonesia, awesome

I would like to introduce my friend's business, the brand called DEKKE in Indonesia

He's a local of Cimaja (West Java, Indonesia), he has a small business in clothing business (surfing stuffs, which is hat/cap, tshirt, sweater, boardshort/walkshort, shoes, boardbag hard n soft, etc.)

He doesn't know how to log in in this website, that's why I help him here

If you come to West Java, make sure to buy some of his stuff, the quality actually really great, I bought some of his stuff, nice design n high quality.

Thanks,
Pete
peter

Postby monkeystyle » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:29 am

Surfing since I was first a teen, never any good but keep on working at it. Live in Sydney which is as close to heaven as an office bound surfer can get... not too cold, usually always a wave, not far from the beach, etc. Spent years surfing in the UK but had to come home. Brighton Marina, Hot Pipes, Wittering, Kimmeridge, Gower.... cold and fun and alwasy a nice bunch of people, although I do think that they local thing was something they'd read about or seen in films and tried to replicate without understanding that most locals in aus and the US are hot surfers who rule through shear massive competence.
I was called off a wave by a hipster who looked like Leo Sayer... whats with the ironic moustache look?
monkeystyle

Postby Johnny Utar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:00 am

I'm Joe, in my early 30's currently live near Manchester.

I'm really just a novice. I started surfing when I live in WA (Perth) about 3 years ago but have had shoulder problems so only surfed a handful of time. Hopefully now have turned a corner and plan to surf a bit next year from the spring on. Looking at Hells Mouth etc have been there before years ago, have one or two old mates who surf too.
Johnny Utar

Postby Larryk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:32 am

Hi Guys

Larry here from Ireland, Wexford to be more precise. Got my first surf lesson about 3 years ago in Lahinch, and a few more lessons the following summer and last summer in Tramore. This year I have been mostly renting boards from local surf schools to try and get used to things. Unfortunately i dont get out as often as i like due to running a busy little business which usually takes up 6 days per week, but when ever I get a chance i head out. Completely addicted to it, love the feeling of catching a wave and speeding towards the shore.

Really hoping to make the most of this site to get to know more about surfing and techniques, safety aspects and just getting the chat to like minded people.

I look forward to chatting to you all in the forums and hopefully see some of you on the beaches - I'll be the one wiping out in the foam :)
Larryk

Postby hooty_boy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm hooty_boy,

I live in Chichester, about 8 miles from the witterings, I do alot of things, Martial Arts, Rock-Climbing and I've always wanted to surf since moving here from Heathrow 4 years ago...

Now I'm in a stable job i think I can afford it :D

I'm 23, Male, Straight and yeah...

I work in IT -_-'
hooty_boy

Postby hakalahale » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:37 am

Origional So Cal boy started surfing late in life (25 or so) Lived in Laguns,Carp. (home of sex wax) and surfed everywhere up and down the southern coast. Never made it up north to mavs. miss it :-( . Spent 4 years in hawaii on Oaho living on the south side in Ewa Beach. 5 minutes to surf. Surfed all the North shore spots except "Pipe". Sunset, Chun's, V-land, Freddie's, Lani's, Alligator's, log cabin's. Did i miss any? :-) Miss it more than anything. Surfing 5-6 times a week. Now I live in Texas just outside of Houston. The surf only comes around during hurricane season. At least that's when it's the biggest. last week was a foot overhead but slightly chopped. On the inside you can pick up a small barrel now and then. Just waiting for the next swell and my son and i will be in the water. Any day of surf is a good one and I can't wait. In the mean time i will write posts on MS and dream about being at van's triple crown which I heard went off.
Good surfing to all and aloha,
Eric @ http://www.thenewshopeasy.com/extreme
hakalahale

Postby bakers » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:48 am

name: Baker!
surfing: 7' fish can usualy be found down aberavon.
24 years young been surfing since beginning of the year and loving it.
sexual prefrence: straight, love women with big boobs and if there in stockings thats always a bonus :D
little about me: for my sins i work at port talbot steel works in the blast furnace.
planning a bit of travelling next year, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonessia! planning on spending most of my time on the beaches surfing. anyone got any advice of places to go/stay/surf maybe an extra cheap country to add to my list, all ideas welcome!
bakers

Postby conyoman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 am

I haven't introduced myself yet.....how rude. :-D

Living in Cornwall, been surfing for about 6 years - the last 2 years consistently and as my main sport.
34 yrs old, married with 2 kids. Have been a triathlete for a few years but it steals time from surfing so gave it up. Just do running and weights to keep fit (and fight the flab)

Tried all sorts of surfing from 9'2" Hobie PNR through to 6'0" thruster. Currently on a 6'4" Luke Young quad.

Not a bad surfer - not particularly great either - I'm no natural surfer - but I love it. It's the only sport I've not been particularly good at but keep doing.

Sexual preferences - what's sex?....oh that thing I used to do.....
conyoman

Postby swanny147 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Swany, age 40 ish !!!! Into snowboarding, skateboarding (crap at it but still try ) mountainbiking, ride laggan when i can and edinburgh staircases at night :-) if im on a bike its on the back wheel, just love wheelies :-) Collect old Bmx,s, currently own 5 !!! Live in Fife Scotland, just recently got involved in Surfing, so far ive been to Dunbar and St Andrews ( nt far from my home :-) ) Cant believe its taken me this long to try surfing, i absolutely love it, surfing is like sex in the missionary position, well it is for me coz im having trouble standing up !!!!!!
swanny147

Postby baggins » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Baggins here... Philbo Baggins
59 years to go till my 100th birthday (you do the math)
Love the magic ocean
Live and surf by Tynemouth.
Into my 6th year of surfing now and it feels like its just begun.
Popping up more regularly now but trying to perfect the bottom turn and trim.o
Got a 7 10" take off mini mal looking for a new board as a treat soon
Went to a surf camp in Portugal (peniche) for my 40th birthday and have had few family hols in cornwall.
Although I'm not the best at surfing I'm head over heels with joy when I'm out there.
Started a blog earlier today as an attempt to record my pursuit of trimming and getting into the green room :n)
Here's a link in case your interested http://surfysurf.blogspot.com
Cheers everyone hope to see you in the magic ocean sometime!
All the best
Philbo
baggins

Postby taosurf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:44 pm

I everybody,
I'm olivier, Taosurf, french surf photographer, if you want to see my work :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TaoSurf- ... 5016685807
or
www.taosurfphoto.com

see you
taosurf

Postby Locals_only » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Loco
21 male
North Carolina

been surfing for about 4 years now, grew up most of my life in japan, that's where i started surfing, trying to check out how things are here on the east coast.
Live about an hour away from the coast, which isn't that bad.

hope to maybe make a few surfing buddies here.

cheers
Locals_only

Postby CaliSurfer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Name: Dale

I have been surfing for three years now. I injured my shoulder about 2 years ago surfing outside my limits. I had to have my labrum repaired and I have grown a lot as a surfer since. That experience made me definitely appreciate surfing a lot more.

I live 5 minutes from Del Mar Jetty (it's located on MCB Camp Pendleton) and surf as much as I can. If anyone in the North County San Diego area wants to surf, hit me up.
CaliSurfer

Postby Nate Amaretto » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm Nate, I'm 21 and I'm from South Wales.

I've always been interested in surfing but never actually got round to getting in the water with a board - until today! I had my first lesson today and now I'm hooked.

I've discovered how easy surf hire is in my area so I've decided I'm going to stick at it and hopefully will become a permanent hobby.

I think that's about it. Hiya.
Nate Amaretto

Postby Wave4Surf » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Everybody,

I think this is the best place to post my first post, so let's go:

I'm a pretty young guy who learned to surf about three years ago. I live in the Netherlands, and try to make the best of the waves we get.
I learned surfing at a surfing camp, and wanted to continue this great new type of sport. So for my birthday I got a 5'6 kid twin fin board and started practising.
My next (and current) board is a fish 5'10 (bic), as this was a better option than a shortboard. Besides this board, my brother and I are sharing a Klimax 6'0 Shortboard Flames Model, as we keep on getting better and want to learn some tricks :D

Interesting surf spots: We've been to France 3 times in a row, everytime a little more south: Montalivet-Mimizan-Biarritz. We always went in the autumn, because the crowd in the summer is gone, the water has still got a nice temperature, and prices are lower :). Coming autumn we're going to Hendaye, on the French-Spanish boarder.

I hope that I've explained everything you guys wanted to know. If not, I'm always open for questions :)
Still waiting for the day with a nice well, good temperature and me being at the beach - season start
Wave4Surf

Postby SouthjettyBill » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:28 pm

(Standing-up from a plastic chair, that is one of many arranged in a circle........)

Hi my name is Bill and I'm an alcoholic.......

I'm from New Jersey in the the good ol' U.S.A. yes, that U.S.A. ..........the greatest nation in the world." USA USA USA USA" ...come on everyone........Hey you !! You !! The British guy with the grudge.....c'mon, lets hear it, "USA USA USA."

Ok, I've been riding them waves since I was 13. I am now, unfortunately 40. OMG, that sucks...... 40 ? Where'd it all go? Oh how cheap vodka has scourged my existence. Don't let that happen to you, kids.

Jeez, considering the time I've spent surfing, you'd think I'd be the greatest surfer ever. And now I'm at the regression age. I don't attack every section, I pick and chose the lips I hit. That's horrible, especially considering that the east coast of America sucks. Surfing here is more about performance satisfaction than actual wave thrills......because our waves suck. Don't be fooled by pictures you see of closed-out hurricane swells. That guy in the picture didn't make it. Yeah it comes together five days a year here.......

So, I'm 40, I watch the Weather Channel, I don't much care for internet forecasts(I'm here for the message boards), I ride bad waves, I frequently get scared, and I don't like modern society.
SouthjettyBill

Postby i.goleft » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:44 am

I go left.
i.goleft

Postby H3X » Tue May 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Alright folks, I'm from the scottish borders names Ryan 22 year old (I think, clearly getting too old to remember my age). I'm currently working part time doing labour work for a local joiner after previously getting medically discharged from the army.

I'm new to surfing, been doing it probably a month been hiring from our local surf shop here in Coldingham Bay; http://www.stvedas.co.uk/, few weeks past i bought myself the flash bomb gear from ripcurl and just 3 days ago i bought a bic 7'3 surfboard that arived today that i'm insanely chuffed about. Finally having everything I need to get out there and catch some waves without paying anymore, other than the coffee.. that i cant seem to stop drinking!

So I started up with a mate also my age, hes the dedicated driver as i seem to have a slight blip with containtly failing my driving test! We try to get out 2-3 times a week and i'll probably try getting out 4 days now i have my own kit if i can.

I stive to get better each time I'm out there, always thinking about technique and trying to read the waves and sea - anyways i'm pretty much out of things to say so..

Speak to you all soon! d:
H3X

Postby Wilson987 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Thought I'd say hello..

I'm Phil from Belfast N.I, 32 years old, ex-bodyboarder who finally made the jump to standing up.
Mainly surf Ireland's North coast, started again in Feb this year and have been back in the water 6 times or so since then.
Still renting and borrowing boards but find getting to my feet is quite easy and previous board sports has given me decent balance so I'm undecided whether to get the usual minimal kook board or go for soemthing a bit more challenging and shorter.
Wilson987

Postby H3X » Fri May 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Wilson987 wrote:Thought I'd say hello..

I'm Phil from Belfast N.I, 32 years old, ex-bodyboarder who finally made the jump to standing up.
Mainly surf Ireland's North coast, started again in Feb this year and have been back in the water 6 times or so since then.
Still renting and borrowing boards but find getting to my feet is quite easy and previous board sports has given me decent balance so I'm undecided whether to get the usual minimal kook board or go for soemthing a bit more challenging and shorter.

Welcome mate, i'm very new to surfing myself only been doing it a little while how ever i bought a 7'3 mini mal, even at times i struggle on that in comparrison to the 8 footer i was learning on. If you want my advice, I'd say dont go too short.. it looks good under your arm but you will look like a complete tit not catching anything at all and swiming around all day. I'd rather look a kook than a tit :P
H3X

Postby Wilson987 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks for the welcome & advise H3X, I have heard it said before better to get up on more waves and progress naturally instead of making the mistake of going for a shorty and struggling. I've been learning on an 8` and have some limited time on a 6`6" fish in less than ideal conditions and I honestly find the shorter board easier to paddle and catch waves on, pop up technique needs some practice for the fish but when I get up I find it easier to control.

In a perfect world I'd have 2 or 3 boards but for a 1st board I think i'll punt for a 2nd hand 7`4" minimal or similar to keep costs down then I can always upgrade or add to the collection without having spend hundreds on a new first board.
Wilson987

Postby Nizzer » Thu May 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Well Names Nizzer/Gav

Been on MSW for a while now but hardly ever post, 28, Belfast. Been surfing on/off for the fast few years, still a bit pants but getting back into it as much as I can when am not land locked. Pretty much always check out the forms here for a bit of a laugh and any advice I can gleam lol
Nizzer

Postby Nizzer » Thu May 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Wilson987 wrote:Thanks for the welcome & advise H3X, I have heard it said before better to get up on more waves and progress naturally instead of making the mistake of going for a shorty and struggling. I've been learning on an 8` and have some limited time on a 6`6" fish in less than ideal conditions and I honestly find the shorter board easier to paddle and catch waves on, pop up technique needs some practice for the fish but when I get up I find it easier to control.

In a perfect world I'd have 2 or 3 boards but for a 1st board I think i'll punt for a 2nd hand 7`4" minimal or similar to keep costs down then I can always upgrade or add to the collection without having spend hundreds on a new first board.

Wilson987, I used to do that, grabbing hire boards from troggs etc, mostly NSP's etc going from a 7'8" down to a 7' to finally getting my own board, found talking to a few people and the 2 local shapers very helpful. If your looking a board check out Rosy Surfboards in Derry (where I got mine) or westbay in Portrush.

Rosy was very helpful, as I knew nothing of boards in any detail at the time, I let me know where I surfed, what level I was kinda at and what I was looking, ie something that would go in as many condition's as poss, and allow me to progress as I would only have the 1 board for a long time.

Placed my order, go the board and was up first time and havn't looked back :D

I think the general rule of thumb is 1 foot longer than you are tall is as short as you should go, with as much float as you can get lol
Nizzer

Postby royalrattlhead » Sun May 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi,
my names George,
been surfing for aboot 6 year now.
Quiver consists of a 6''3 Saltrock shortboard, Clayton 6'' swallow tail and a quiver stoke a' pop 5''7
Live in the West Midlands
Surf anywhere around Uk depending on conditions, mainly; North Yorkshire, Pembrokeshire, Gower, Devon & Cornwall.
If you see a white focus estate with DC stickers on the back come any say 'hi'!!
royalrattlhead

Postby Wilson987 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Nizzer wrote:
Wilson987 wrote:Thanks for the welcome & advise H3X, I have heard it said before better to get up on more waves and progress naturally instead of making the mistake of going for a shorty and struggling. I've been learning on an 8` and have some limited time on a 6`6" fish in less than ideal conditions and I honestly find the shorter board easier to paddle and catch waves on, pop up technique needs some practice for the fish but when I get up I find it easier to control.

Wilson987, I used to do that, grabbing hire boards from troggs etc, mostly NSP's etc going from a 7'8" down to a 7' to finally getting my own board, found talking to a few people and the 2 local shapers very helpful. If your looking a board check out Rosy Surfboards in Derry (where I got mine) or westbay in Portrush.

Rosy was very helpful, as I knew nothing of boards in any detail at the time, I let me know where I surfed, what level I was kinda at and what I was looking, ie something that would go in as many condition's as poss, and allow me to progress as I would only have the 1 board for a long time.

Placed my order, go the board and was up first time and havn't looked back :D

I think the general rule of thumb is 1 foot longer than you are tall is as short as you should go, with as much float as you can get lol

Good advise Nizzer, cheers. Will defo support local shapers when buying a new board but as far as funds allow for it'll have to be a 2nd hand mal for the time being.

cheers
Phil.
Wilson987

Postby flacky » Mon May 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Alright George. You may remember me from such mutual friends as Daz.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

PreviousNext

Return to General