surf technique!!!

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

surf technique!!!

Postby jsurf » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:02 pm

hey,
i have got to the point where i can catch unbroken waves but can't get the hang of going along the wave! any tips? i can turn but it aklways seems that the wave has broken and i'm just on white water by that point.
thanks
jsurf

Re: surf technique!!!

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:17 pm

paddle harder, catch the wave earlier, stand up earlier, look where you want to go and not at your feet. :D

NEXT!!!
Poo Stance

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Maybe work on your pop up? You can improve it just by practicing on your bedroom floor and can use a marker to make sure your feet land straight. A quick pop up can make all the difference on the take off.

I agree with Poo about looking where you are going. Try to look and point where you want to go, keep your head up. Pointing will help you to turn your body more and therefore turn your board faster. Keep to trimming along the wave until you are competent. Also having your knees well bent will increase your speed on the wave and help you to make it round the section. Any other q's I'm more than happy to try and answer :)
Laurie_4surfing

Postby Black » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:46 pm

When watching an approaching wave don't just sit there waiting for it to come to you, move to the place that will give you best speed on takeoff, pump the board for more speed - speed is the key. And planning, think ahead of where you are and what you are going to do - watch the pros they never stop working a wave & preparing for the next move.
Got a bit carried away there, anyway it may help!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby sandygroyne » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Jsurf,

Blacks totally right that you've got to be constantly assesing the wave and moving/possitioning yourself so you're in the best place to catch and carve the wave from. Also if you've only just started catching clean waves maybe you're not angling your take off so that you're paddling and catching the wave in the direction you want to go. This should help keep you on the clean and you'll have a head start on the white water/not need to turn so much to get trimming along the wave. And paddle like your life depends on it!!! See so many people thinking waves will just pick them up.

SG
sandygroyne

Postby jsurf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice, its often hard to know what you are doing wrong/ right until someone points it out!!!
julia
jsurf

Return to Learn to Surf