How to move your surfing from good to kick ass?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

How to move your surfing from good to kick ass?

Postby Surfermo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:31 am

Aloha Guys,

I've been surfing for about 10 years all over the world and lived the last few years in Hawaii.

What I found the most frustrating is how long it takes to improve my surfing. I feel like after reaching a certain level it takes a lot of effort making it to the next level.

Besides going surfing a lot, what are you guys doing to consistently improve your surfing technique...feedback from friends, videos, photos, keeping notes of your surf sessions, etc.

Many thanks for helping me shred better :D

Cheers,
Mo
Surfermo

Re: How to move your surfing from good to kick ass?

Postby Leven » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:09 am

Hit the gym! Strengthen your core, balance, do some yoga to mimic the twists and turns of surfing. It all makes a surprisingly big difference!
Leven

Postby Surfermo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Aloha Leven,

Thanks for getting back to me! You rock!

I'm hitting the Gym, and especially the swimming pool, plenty and it made a big difference.

But what about learning how to throw more spray, do a tighter arc in a round-house or get more vertical on a snap?

All I have is a bit of feedback here and there from friends and if I'm super lucky a halfway decent picture or video clip.

Big thanks for helping a fellow surfer out!

Cheers,
Marco
Surfermo

Postby surfrat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 pm

if you're in hawaii surely there are pros/ex pros arou
nd who do advanced coaching sessions? why not give that a try.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Surfermo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:56 am

Hey Surfrat,

I'm not in Hawaii anymore, unfortunately.

Professional surf coaching goes for $150 per hour...slightly above my budget :)

Cheers,
Marco
Surfermo

Postby cricket » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Save up and take a holiday to a surf camp. Pick one that includes inter/advanced coaching, not just beginners. Kills lots of birds with one stone - great holiday, a week or two of solid surfing plus coaching for probably not much more than you would pay for a few sessions of pro coaching where you live.

The other way is the 'golf way' - honestly assess what it is that you arent doing to the level you want to do it. Break down your movements then read as much as you can (watch as many videos as you can) to figure out what you should be doing and the difference between that and what you are actually doing. Go out and concentrate on correcting one or two small things at a time and seeing whether you improve. If not, try something else. Its a bit mechanical and some might say surfing isnt the same as golf and you shouldnt (or can't) analyse yourself in this way, but I reckon it works for certain technical moves. Its what a coach is doing in his/her mind.
Of course, just as no two golf swings are the same - but many work very well - there is no 'right' way to surf. But, arguably, there are 'wrong' (or ineffective) ways.
cricket

Postby matt_96 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:42 pm

I would say that one of the main things that will improve your surfing is being video'd and play it back and watch it. That way you can see where you need to improve on the wave etc. Failing that if you have no one who can video you then when someone is taking pictures at the beach ask them if they wouldn't mind taking a few of you and emailing the pics over to you. Any visual way of assessing the way you surf will help greatly in my opinion.

Hope this helps man!
matt_96

Postby Surfermo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Big thanks Matt and Cricket.

I guess it's all about visual confirmation and breaking moves down into tiny technical elements.

I wish I could see the line I take for a roundhouse and lay the perfect line - given the conditions - over it...man, that way I could also see how far I'm off from executing the trick perfectly.

Cheers,
Mo
Surfermo

Postby majordom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 am

get someone to video you - it really helps to see what you are doing right or wrong
majordom

Return to Learn to Surf