Olympics

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Olympics

Postby Underdog » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:05 pm

I think the country can be pretty proud of the event and our athletes.

The only disappointment for me was the final Gold in the Boxing. The Chinese Badmington players landed harder hits !!

This was my favourite image

and my least favourite

What a miserable creepy fucker !!
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Re: Olympics

Postby Underdog » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Fucking Brilliant closing party.

Top that Brazzers !!!

VERY proud to be BRITISH tonight :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Underdog

Postby Philshoz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:18 am

Ditto, fantastic evening. I did have my reservations about the Spice Girls but unfounded..................good on Gary Barlow after his sad loss last week.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:11 am

Underdog wrote:Fucking Brilliant closing party.

Top that Brazzers !!!

VERY proud to be BRITISH tonight :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

It's the Weegie;s turn in 2014 first.

With a new small baby I've not had much chance to watch a whole lot, but have really enjoyed everything that I've watched. Apart from the Handball. WTF?
Chris F

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 am

Chris F wrote:
With a new small baby I've not had much chance to watch a whole lot, but have really enjoyed everything that I've watched. Apart from the Handball. WTF?

Yeah, can't quite understand handball, there seems to be no midfield play, just run up to the circle, throw it a couple of times and then inevitably score. Can't really see the point in having the goalies. Also the water polo I found pretty dire, just looks like a few people in the hotel pool have organised themselves enough to through a ball around.

Overall I thought the Olympics were great. I was with many of the doubters before it started, believeing it would be subject to security alerts, petty protests interrupting things (a-la this years boat race), long, disorganised queues and our atheletes not living up to their billing. But I was glad to be proven wrong on all acounts. It was just the kind of distraction I needed from the summer of crappy weather, zero swell and an impending redudancy lottery and I really got behind it. I would share my favourite photos but they are all freeze frames from sky plussing the beach volleyball. : :roll:
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Black » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 am

Yes, the whole thing has been great! Some odd bits in the opening/closing ceremony but otherwise I'd call it excellent all round.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Jim Birtwisle wrote: Also the water polo I found pretty dire, just looks like a few people in the hotel pool have organised themselves enough to through a ball around.

I played it a bit, so know there's a bit more than that, but freely admit to it not being the best spectator sport. Apart from American TV catching some boob flash action in a bit of argy-bargy in a women's match it was pretty dull.

They are talking about adding competition climbing in 2020 - I fear this will also be horribly dull to watch if you don't do it.
Chris F

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Chris F wrote:They are talking about adding competition climbing in 2020 - I fear this will also be horribly dull to watch if you don't do it.

Well if they do their silly little acting mimes to camera before they set off then we'll have pretty much come full circle back to Gladiators. Contender READDDDDAAAAAAYYYYY
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:04 pm

Silly little acting mimes; you mean like the sprinters?
Chris F

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Yeah, I only really noticed them doing it recently. Maybe they're all taking after Bolt, or perhaps a different way of dealing with the nerves. Some of them just look a bit silly though
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Black » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Chris F wrote:
Jim Birtwisle wrote: Also the water polo I found pretty dire, just looks like a few people in the hotel pool have organised themselves enough to through a ball around.
I played it a bit, so know there's a bit more than that, but freely admit to it not being the best spectator sport. Apart from American TV catching some boob flash action in a bit of argy-bargy in a women's match it was pretty dull.....
I played a bit of waterpolo in school, made me feel like a weakling, really hard work but also mainly about getting away with fouling & disabling your opponent without the ref seeing. Didn't watch any olympic waterpolo mainly due to more interest elsewhere. Think its a worthy sport for olympics though but I am not worthy!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby flacky » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:11 am

Gymnastics and swimming were my highlights, seeing the young 16 year old american girl take metres from all the others was awesome, and the 15 (i think) year old in the gymnastics... Must be the parent in me but taking massive pride in young people in a mans world. Tom Daley... what a man!

China should have been stripped of all medals. That was sick. Didn't watch any footy, as football is far from the olympic spirit.

Chris, sport climbing is under consideration for 2020... That would be awesome hey, Shauna has been down the gym lately, one armed pull ups on the fingerboards... She's a beast! She'll be pushing 30 by the time it's 2020... Who knows. I know she's looking at climbing more ropes next year. Think she was junior lead champ too though.

Olympics, YEAH!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Chris F » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 am

Hey flacky, like i said, mixed feelings about climbing. Great to see my sport represented, but as much as I love it I don't think it's much of a spectator sport if you haven't done it at any level. There's a good interview with SC in the latest Climb mag where she says she's keen to get on a rope again.
Chris F

Postby otterr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:34 pm

best quote after the closing ceremony "Just think: two weeks ago the world thought we were rubbish at sport and great at music "...
otterr

Postby Leedsol » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:03 pm

otterr wrote:best quote after the closing ceremony "Just think: two weeks ago the world thought we were rubbish at sport and great at music "...

:lol: :lol:
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby flacky » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Chris F wrote:Hey flacky, like i said, mixed feelings about climbing. Great to see my sport represented, but as much as I love it I don't think it's much of a spectator sport if you haven't done it at any level. There's a good interview with SC in the latest Climb mag where she says she's keen to get on a rope again.

Good point, Then again, is Synchronised swimming, or show jumping, or beach volleyball, (Mens) table tennis?

Ged Mac D's bird is in CLimb mag, pics taken at the roaches. Great shots of Steph.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:52 am

Really enjoyed watching bits of the Olympics - can't say I was glued though like my folks who never moved from their chairs!

Highlights were Jess Ennis, the rowers, Mo Farrah and just watching some amazing sports.....and wondering how on earth do folk do that!

Opening ceremony was good...closing not so good overall.

Biggest miss was more footage of the babe in the Olympics (there were plenty tho!). However I spied her in the Opening ceremony - stood out like a beacon.......wow!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=leryn+ ... 70&bih=599
skimmer2

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:00 am

^^^ Good man ...... that's the wee Paraguay honey I was talking about in another post - need to get a plumber in to get me off that :downtown: :lol: :lol:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Kamikaze » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:23 am

ATTMFKH wrote:^^^ Good man ...... that's the wee Paraguay honey I was talking about in another post - need to get a plumber in to get me off that :downtown: :lol: :lol:

Well I used to be a plumber and I can assure you that any call out that involved your cock being extracted from anything would involve at least quadruple time! :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:
Kamikaze

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:39 pm

^^ every man has his price though eh Kami :wink:
ATTMFKH

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:54 pm

God dam, she's incredible, how did I miss her!
Jim Birtwisle

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:54 pm

she stood out like a beacon of beauty in the opening ceremony - never saw her take part in any of the sports
ATTMFKH

Postby Underdog » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Can't belive how much I have missed the 'Lympics over the weekend.
So used to checking in constantly, before, after and (occasionaly) during, work. Had someting on every waking non work hour, eithet TV or streaming.

Live feed of a Tahiitian lay day does not quite compensate.
Underdog

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:50 pm

I found myself watching the repeat of the opening ceremony on BBC yesterday. Initially drawn into looking for my new favourite Paraguaian athelete but ended up really enjoying it again and was a bit gutted there wasn't 2 weeks of sport ahead. Wish I had known how into I was going to be or else I would have tried harder to get tickets in the ballots. Going to see Brazil vs Honduras was great, but I would love to have been in London, if not in the venues then in the parks etc soaking up the atmosphere.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby JayP » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 am

Apparently it was great Jim. My missus and kids all loved it - lazy picnics in the parks watching the big screens etc. Apparently the atmosphere was fantastic! I missed it all as ran away to costa rica for 3 weeks surfing my tits off!
JayP

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:02 pm

At least you were having fun!
Jim Birtwisle

Postby stephh » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Only just seen this as not been on here much lately. However, just wanted to add that I was lucky enough to go to the rowing, swimming and women's triathlon and was blown away by the whole expereince. it was fantastic, well organised friendly, utterly brilliant atmosphere at all events and in the Olympic park where we watched the pursuit chaps wins gold and vickie pendleton, thousands of people all shouting and screaming........makes me have chills to think about it even now. I would go as far as saying it was one of the best things I've ever done in my life. Really looking forward to watching the paralympics........GO GB!
paddlepaddlepaddle
stephh

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:48 am

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 am

The story behind that photo is great Roy.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Chris F » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Phil looks like he backed the loser.
Chris F

Next

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)