Surf Science!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Surf Science!

Postby IonaKathryn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Has anyone done/ know anyone who has done the surf science degree? Theres one in Newquay..apparently you learn all sorts of different things from events management and psychology to conservation and shaping?! Opinions/Thoughts? After doing that for two years you can top it up with a Bsc Degree in marine sports / environmental management....?!
Looks quite interesting!
:-D
IonaKathryn

Re: Surf Science!

Postby Leven » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 am

Plymouth University yeah? Just phone the Uni and ask what's covered....or ask most of the lifeguards in Cornwall! :lol:
Leven

Postby wigsy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 pm

One of the Pembs lifeguards is either on it, or has just graduated from it. He seems quite happy.
wigsy

Postby Philshoz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:10 am

But how are you going to get there Iona on those crazy roads?.................. :wink:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Chris F » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:52 am

wigsy wrote:One of the Pembs lifeguards is either on it, or has just graduated from it. He seems quite happy.

Why wouldn't he be - dossy degree straight into dossy job.
Chris F

Postby swiggy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Chris F wrote:Why wouldn't he be - dossy degree straight into dossy job.

:lol:

While theres a lot more to uni than just getting a degree, if you are going to go 20 grand into debt you have to look at what people do after they get a particular degree, statistics are usually available. If the uni doesn't give out those statistics theres probably a reason they are holding them back. How many doors will a surf science degree open for you? You mention environmental management, events management and psychology, if these are what interest you then maybe you are better off taking a more "normal" degree in something along those lines, or a joint degree between 2 of them. If environmental management is what interests you, maybe even consider taking biology with environmental management or something like that, a lot of employers do respect "traditional" subjects a lot more. Even most pure psychology degrees aren't enough to work as a psychologist, you need actual clinical/medical training. One or two psychology modules in a surf science degree may qualify you to analyse your friends in a pub, thats about it. Do you need a degree for events management, or just experience and industry contacts? What will this degree qualify you to run, a surf comp or festival?

Think about how much cash you (or your parents?) are going to invest in a degree, and how many months/years in indo that would get you. A lot of degrees are worth a lot less than 3 years of work experience.

And remember that most employers will not have a clue what is on the syllabus for degrees like "surf science", they will take 30 seconds to skim your CV and only read your degree title and classification, and make assumptions about what it entailed. Your degree title and reputation of the university count for as much as what it was you actually studied when it comes to getting your foot in the door.
swiggy

Postby danny1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 am

what matters most is what you have done in your spare time at uni. grab it all with two hands, the piss ups, partying and the opportunities around clubs, leadership, organising, events etc...and make sure you get a 2;1......

if you have a balance of all that you will do alright.

you dont really relise the opportunity you have when you are at uni...everyday there s summit you can be doing to grow
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby philo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:46 pm

I agree with that. Everyone I went to uni with on my course has a job in the profession that we chose. I think if you have a good work life balance, get at least a 2:1 and are genuinely interested in what your studying then you will be fine. Look at the job prospects and search for jobs that you could potentially and realistically get then ask yourself is it worth the debt.
philo

Postby swiggy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:18 pm

danny1 wrote:what matters most is what you have done in your spare time at uni. grab it all with two hands, the piss ups, partying and the opportunities around clubs, leadership, organising, events etc...and make sure you get a 2;1......

if you have a balance of all that you will do alright.

you dont really relise the opportunity you have when you are at uni...everyday there s summit you can be doing to grow

yeah man for sure, work hard and play hard wherever you go, but you have to choose the right place in the first place too, not everywhere gives you the same opportunities to do what you want..
swiggy

Postby danny1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Ah divnt know about that really... I went to hull and Newcastle and there was loads going on... And I spend my days on campuses and the vibes the same on all of them.

You went to st Andrews ... What was that like? They use a bit of software I developed so I'm up there every so often
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby swiggy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:18 pm

danny1 wrote:Ah divnt know about that really... I went to hull and Newcastle and there was loads going on... And I spend my days on campuses and the vibes the same on all of them.

You went to st Andrews ... What was that like? They use a bit of software I developed so I'm up there every so often

Yeah, most big unis are pretty similar in that way, but somewhere like newquay isn't really a "normal" uni/campus..

St Andrews was good. The image of it as a posh place is probably accurate, theres definitely a lot of seriously posh people there, but I had a good group of mates, and its definitely a good uni. Loads of opportunities to whatever you want, there is a club for everything and they are really well funded, and for such a small town the fact its all students mean theres lots to do/loads of parties etc., and its super safe, you don't have to worry about some pikey stealing your wetsuit from the line or your clothes when you leave them on the beach to surf. I mainly just surfed (the only club I was involved in was the dance music society, I helped to run that which was pretty fun), there was no surf club but you don't really need one if you actually surf, the beach is there and you can just go, I dunno what benefits a surf club bring to anybody who isn't a beginner with no gear, maybe the social aspect but you just meet people in the water, at least that way you make friends with people who actually surf rather than talk about it in the pub to impress girls.

You take a board with you when you go up there? You surf the area before?
swiggy

Postby Black » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:56 pm

There is no surf science - its all about magic seaweed and sacrificing to the swell gods I tell 'eee! I learnt everything on the hippo-campus, not posh but more visceral! :shock:
Never growing old together...
Black

Return to General