Location Ideas Needed For Beginners Surf Trip February 2013

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Location Ideas Needed For Beginners Surf Trip February 2013

Postby Khromato » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:27 am

Hello!
My boyfriend and I would like to take our first surf trip in February 2013. We have only surfed once, we had a beginners lesson for 2 hours in Wales, we loved it. We managed to catch our own waves and stand up a few times, but that's all. Basically we are very keen, but low on skill. We plan to have few more lessons on our holiday but would alsO like to be free to surf alone too ( so hiring boards would be necessary as we don't have our own) We would like to go somewhere sunny and reasonably warm but are not opposed to wearing full wetsuits if necessary! We would like consistent surf of course but not something that's too big for our abilities. Europe would be preferred but would be open to other ideas too.... We had the Canary Islands in mind.... Anyone have any thoughts/ideas to help us out? Thank you! :P
Khromato

Re: Location Ideas Needed For Beginners Surf Trip February 2

Postby Philshoz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:09 am

Yup Canaries, why not............ideal................... :-|
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Leven » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:18 am

Try this little thing called Google! Or, remove that sentence about your boyfriend, and there'll be no end of people offering to help!

Which one of the Canary Islands?

Check this out too....these guys are really good, and the place is cool. Plenty of culture between surfs....

http://www.errantsurf.com/locations/Wor ... ain-Loredo
Leven

Postby Khromato » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply and link share. Yep, I use google too, but I like to gather opinions and have a bit of dialogue too so forums are my preference :)

I'm thinking Fuerteventura perhaps...
Khromato

Postby 7 Island Surf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 am

Fuerteventura could be an ideal place to learn to surf...The weather is usually stil very nice (although something that can never be guaranteed) and there is always some ideal learning waves on each of the coasts. I would recommend you book a package with one of the many Surfschools though as the ocean can be dangerous in certain areas and if you don't know where to go, then a guide or coach is always worth it's money.

If you want to look at possible options for Surfing, feel free to have a look at the following website www.7islandsurf.com

Tripadvisor can also give you an idea which company to use for your Surfing.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.
Regards.
Professional Surf Coaching and Holidays in Fuerteventura
7 Island Surf

Postby surfrat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:34 am

Beginners surf trip? Try Peniche in portugal tho maybe not super hot and sunny or some of the surf camps in the algarve, def beginner friendly breaks around there
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Leven » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:01 am

Fuerte hey? Well, you obviously don't use Google that much! It's mostly volcanic reefs, with the odd beach, that is generally howling onshore! Better bets are Spain, Portugal etc, unless you really want to go in at the deep end....
Leven

Postby Khromato » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:09 am

I thought Spain and Portugal waves would be too big for beginners in wintertime?
I take your point about Fuerte being volcanic but assumed there would be beach breaks as well as reefs?
Khromato

Postby surf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Hello
Id recommend Morocco. Its almost europe, but only about 3 hours flight from the uk. theres beach breaks for beginners but you can also watch the really good surfers rip too! Go with a certified surf school, specially if you need some lessons. There are good instructors at Surf Star morocco, the riad surf camp is close to the beach and they know the area really well, - some are from there. surf camp is sweet too. http://www.surfstarmorocco.com is the website, really great crew!
Enjoy! dillon
surf

Postby PortugalByVan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi,
if you're looking for surf, warm weather, a cheap way of life, and some nostalgia, I recommend two countries: Portugal and Morocco. I don't know Morocco (unfortunately) but I can talk about Portugal. You'll find two climate zones, more rainy and cold in the north and more sunny and dry in the south and is one of the warmest European countries: the annual average temperature in mainland Portugal varies from 12 °C (53.6 °F) in the mountainous interior north to over 18 °C (64.4 °F) in the south. You have 4 main surf areas, Lisbon, Ericeira, Peniche and Porto and then you have the quietness of the south west coast all for you self. There is also several surf schools along the entire coastline. And like every other countries you have plenty of waves to choose, from the mellow spots of Caparica (near Lisbon), Ribeira d'ilhas, Sines, and Baleal, to the heavy waves of Super Tubos. But then again just ask the locals or at the surf schools and everyone will tell which breaks are suitable for your level of surf. For accommodation you have plenty of surfcamps in all major surf spots like the ones I mentioned before or you can hire a campervan which allows you to travel the entire coastline without any schedules or being tied up to one place. If the surf is to big here you can go over there. Just have a look at www.portugalbyvan.com and come enjoy beautiful Portugal. Almost forgot, be careful because February is a winter month with big swells always beating the shores of Portugal and all Europe.

Cheers.
http://portugalbyvan.com
PortugalByVan

Postby marshall10488 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 am

I'm sure this is too late to be any help to you but i will leave a link here for anyone in the future.
If you head out to Fuerteventura there are three main resorts on the island. The south (costa calma, also known as Sotavento) the Middle (Caleta de Fuste) and the North (Corralejo).
The south is mainly a German tourist orientatd location and tends to have stronger, off shore winds on the east coast during the summer. the west coast does get some waves but the beaches are known for having dangerous rips.
The middle, doesn't really have waves and is a very 'British tourist' resort.
The North is where Fuerte gets its good wave reputation from. There are numerous breaks along the north shore and loads of beach breaks down the east and west coasts.
Because of the conditions there are 100s of schools in the Corralejo/Cotillo area so it is important that you make sure the one you choose is authorised by the local authority. The three main schools are Island Boarders, Quicksilver and Homegrown, all three of these are authorised and highly respected in the area. Best time for waves is around now (nov-mar) then the winds start to kick in and make things a little more messy.
Hope this helps
Ben Marshall
Island Boarders Surf School Fuerteventura]
marshall10488

Postby Davinga Surf School » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:09 pm

hey guy´s,
check www.davinga-surf.com
a nice and high quality surfschool - camp on fuerteventura :-D
Davinga Surf School

Return to Surf Travel