New Artificial Reef and Sea Defences in Borth, Wales

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

New Artificial Reef and Sea Defences in Borth, Wales

Postby surfrat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:54 am

My old stomping ground is getting a makeover.
Sea defences are being renewed, wooden groynes being replaced by stone jetties, and a big amount of rock is being used to create a temporary causeway out to MLW to create a multi-purpose reef.
Lots of links and pictures on this local rogue's excellent blog
http://www.alananna.co.uk

no sign of geo textile bags this time...not sure they're going to be used but i might be wrong.
but really to improve surfing in borth they need to sacrifice virgins to the gods of swell....cos lack of swell is the main problem. When there is a good swell there are lots of good waves in the local area...really good waves!
surfrat

Re: New Artificial Reef and Sea Defences in Borth, Wales

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:25 pm

hey, you can find more info on here.

http://www.borthcommunity.info/

Also I put up some info on another thread ages ago so do a search... no time to write more now. Hope the project goes well, dont think sand bags are being used tho :)

Be good to hear an update from Doolin too.... and save Chally too!! Natural resources are just that... why would you want to remove any resource that you get for free?

Thanks for the link... will check out the pics. Hope all is well, no waves still here :( other than windslop.... but that dont count does it).)
Poo Stance

Postby mokablat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:11 pm

So do artificial reefs really work for surfers?
so far all I heard about them was disappointment, any one here surfed an artificial reef?
mokablat

Postby JoeHart » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Nope bags don't work or the ASR design. All you need is a load of rock in a big triangle. Good luck up there.

Cheers Joe
JoeHart

Postby flippflopps » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:09 pm

i surfed asr's first reef - out at mt maunganui in NZ. it was pretty ok, but there was always beautiful waves there before the reef too. it certainly wasnt as much of a disaster as I hear the bournemouth one is.
http://www.e-tailwebstores.com
flippflopps

Postby Philshoz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 am

flippflopps wrote:i surfed asr's first reef - out at mt maunganui in NZ. it was pretty ok, but there was always beautiful waves there before the reef too. it certainly wasnt as much of a disaster as I hear the bournemouth one is.

I always wondered why spend so much on a fake reef when that coastline is full of quality.......albeit beachies......... :?
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby flippflopps » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:37 pm

in bournemouth its aim was to increase the number of average annual surfable days from 70 to 140. which is admirable and based on the surfers' pounds being spent in the area. shame it didn't work (or did it, I never hear about it nowadays, perhaps it's a south coast secret?)

in maunganui it was to create a stronger more barreling wave AND to increase the surfable days. It was pretty weird, with the trough being lower than the surrounding sea level it was definitely pushing water up and out. I don't know how successful the average day count was... but presumably not bad as they've sold a few of these things now.
http://www.e-tailwebstores.com
flippflopps

Postby midnightwolf » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:59 pm

flippflopps wrote:in bournemouth its aim was to increase the number of average annual surfable days from 70 to 140. which is admirable and based on the surfers' pounds being spent in the area. shame it didn't work (or did it, I never hear about it nowadays, perhaps it's a south coast secret?)

unless they've managed to fix it yet... last i heard it had a gap due to a leaking bag which meant there was a risk of being dragged into the 'reef' and drowning so its been closed.
midnightwolf

Return to Surf Science