oo

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

oo

Postby Rorym » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:53 pm

ooooooooooooo
Last edited by Rorym on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rorym

Re: 1st trip, alone, latin american countries jan-mar cheapl

Postby Leven » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Wrong time of year for Central America if you want to score great waves. You need the rainy season....Apr - Oct give or take. You might get lucky in March.

Costa Rica is expensive and Americanised, Nicaragua is getting that way, but you can score some epic barrels. El Salvador is cheaper, but some parts are getting more busy and expensive. It is full of right hand points though. Guatemala is just loads of brown water close outs! Personally, I'd go to Mexico....mainly beaches so you can get away with it being smaller. Buy a shit 4x4 and a tent, and just wander around!
Leven

Postby dalejenga » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Check PM's
I think i biller'd the bong last week :)
dalejenga

Postby dalejenga » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:48 pm

message wouldnt send - here it is

I'm 18 and have these months free too mate, was looking at central america but decided against it due to being the wrong time of year. I was thinking about doing 3 months not surfing (Thailand, laos etc) then heading to Indo like you in march/april, but if I'm honest my plans change every day. Was condsidering Sri Lanka before Thailand as flight s from Sri to there are like £80! I was planning on going alone but would be good to at least start with someone. Open to ideas for sure, Mexico sounds epic.

Cheers!
I think i biller'd the bong last week :)
dalejenga

Postby Rorym » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Cheers Leven i will keep that in mind. A friend who was in Nicaragua this year from april onwards met some guys who said they had pretty good waves in jan and feb. Going to do some searching tonight. i've PM you dalejenga! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2g8ZLJrUX0 :shock:

Any other ideas anyone please?!!! North Philippines getting the northern hemispheres winter swell in jan - feb just popped into my head?

Thanks guys
Rorym

Postby Rorym » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Cheers Leven i will keep that in mind. A friend who was in Nicaragua this year from april onwards met some guys who said they had pretty good waves in jan and feb. Going to do some searching tonight. i've PM you dalejenga! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2g8ZLJrUX0 :shock:

Any other ideas anyone please?!!! North Philippines getting the northern hemispheres winter swell in jan - feb just popped into my head?

Thanks guys
Rorym

Postby Leven » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Nica in Jan will be howling offshore, like 30-40 knots. It'll also be cold, a lot of Americans out there at that time of year wear 3/2's. It's also inconsistent. You might score, you might not. If you go during the swell season, you will score. If you want real waves, I'd go somewhere else.

Sri Lanka is cool, but nothing epic, 3ft and clean in the morning, but pretty busy, and full of Japanese and their Al Merricks. Never seen it above 6ft really.
Leven

Postby Rorym » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Do you think mexico is my best bet for my first couple of months then? Maybe i should stay in europe ? one problem is i want to go with my bro to indo in April when hes off from uni, and i guess stay on there through May myself. I couldnt justify going to central america for any time less than 2 months before, but im really keen to check the place out

Thanks
Rorym

Postby Leven » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:36 pm

Mexico will suffer from the same lack of swells as the rest of CA, but if you're just camping and stuff it'll be cheap. The alternative is to fly into Mexico, and just get the TICA bus all the way down through CA, taking in Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, CR, Panama etc, or as far down as you want to go, and then fly out through which ever country you're in. If you plan the trip up front, you can usually get tickets into one country and out of another. You'd at least see some of the country! You defintely need to speak some Spanish though....actually a fair bit. For instance, most Salvadorians (incl. hotel/hostels owners) don't speak much English.

You could just do the same around Europe/Morocco too....hit up the Southern end of Morocco, and score some empty points....
Leven

Postby Rorym » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:14 pm

thanks leven. Any other ideas anyone please for january-march ?!

Cheers !
Rorym

Re: oo

Postby ghotio » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:27 am

Nica in Jan will be howling offshore, like 30-40 knots. It'll also be cold, a lot of Americans out there at that time of year wear 3/2's. It's also inconsistent. You might score, you might not. If you go during the swell season, you will score. If you want real waves, I'd go somewhere else.

Although the winds are known to blow very strongly over the lake , most of the surf breaks have an average of 15 mph offshore. Being near the equator means that the climate and water temp is consistent all year round 28 degrees. So those Americans must be really pansies ... :lol: Look up the place on any surf website and the one thing they'll guarantee is consistent swell as they pick up big ground swell from the north and south. Any ways had to say that , as it sounds as if Leven hasnt actually been there :roll:
ghotio

Return to Surf Travel