Favourite Broad Band

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Favourite Broad Band

Postby Chris F » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:41 pm

(see what I did there!)

Anyway, about to move house (hopefully) and pissed off with Eclipse. Looking for something not too expensive for fast, (virtually) unlimited, reliable and customer support in UK. Don't have and don't want Sky TV.

Ta.
Chris F

Re: Favourite Broad Band

Postby surfinsmiler » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Don't go Post Office.Soon as my contract runs out I'm off to BT.Apparently they to a Vodafone plug in to the home hub which allows your mobile to gather signal via that device.Handy if you live in a coverage blackhole.
Started out in life with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
surfinsmiler

Postby Philshoz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:58 pm

The three fat sisters
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby danny1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Bt have been shite in my experience

Virgin for me
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby roberdy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Been with Plusnet for 7 years, never had a problem with them, Uk based support, decent bandwidth, not too much throttling and prices are favourable. Let me know if you wanna join, I would get a referral bonus :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Philchapman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:27 pm

/\ Plusnet seconded. After being mfucked around by Orange for a couple of weeks we switched and they sorted out our "Problem" with no fuss. (Problem was we were with orange). And yes, I like what you did there! :D
Philchapman

Postby Chris F » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:54 am

roberdy wrote:Been with Plusnet for 7 years, never had a problem with them, Uk based support, decent bandwidth, not too much throttling and prices are favourable. Let me know if you wanna join, I would get a referral bonus :)

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully where I move to will have something more advanced than the phone line available!
Chris F

Postby Chris F » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:54 am

Philshoz wrote:The three fat sisters

The Magic Numbers?
Chris F

Postby Kamikaze » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:39 pm

Alledgedly the best out there at the moment are "be" (https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage) cloesly followed by O2 (who use be's network) If you have an o2 phone you can get a good deal.

Worth checking out http://www.samknows.com to see what is available at the exchange you are connected to. Also once you get the exchange postcode you can work out how far away you are. If you are over a mile, get virgin cable if available. The big problem with adsl is it degrades the further you get from the exchange. (well that and the fact that adsl is inherently shite)

If BT infinity is available, go for that, it's amazing.
Kamikaze

Postby Philshoz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Kamikaze wrote:If BT infinity is available, go for that, it's amazing.

Just don't be surprised if your gaff fills up with Spanish students......... :shock:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Chris F » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:36 pm

Kamikaze wrote:Worth checking out http://www.samknows.com to see what is available at the exchange you are connected to. Also once you get the exchange postcode you can work out how far away you are. If you are over a mile, get virgin cable if available.

Good knowledge. Will check it out once we find a house!
Chris F

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:02 pm

roberdy wrote:Been with Plusnet for 7 years, never had a problem with them, Uk based support, decent bandwidth, not too much throttling and prices are favourable. Let me know if you wanna join, I would get a referral bonus :)

not that cheap if you want unlimited downloads.

BE are good if you want a decent gaming line with a lower ping, but its expensive
Vince Noir

Postby Kamikaze » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:03 pm

Chris F wrote:
Kamikaze wrote:Worth checking out http://www.samknows.com to see what is available at the exchange you are connected to. Also once you get the exchange postcode you can work out how far away you are. If you are over a mile, get virgin cable if available.

Good knowledge. Will check it out once we find a house!

Only look for a house close the the exchange! get your priorities right, who cares if the wife gets mugged every time she goes out as long as there is no lag on modern warfare!
Kamikaze

Postby Chris F » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:27 pm

:lol:

Really not that bother about high end speed or gaming, just be nice to be able to stream things like Netflix without buffering issues.
Chris F

Postby waxer00 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:14 pm

just did a broadband speed test and the download speed is measly 0.35 mbs........wtf.i can`t watch the oneill contest at all :evil: .does anybody know if ringing the smegs up at talktalk to complain will be any good in speeding the service up. you here stories of broadband providers slowing down their output so it goes further ,or reducing broadband width.help from any of you compooter nerds will much appreciated.
waxer00

Postby Kamikaze » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:38 pm

waxer00 wrote:just did a broadband speed test and the download speed is measly 0.35 mbs........wtf.i can`t watch the oneill contest at all :evil: .does anybody know if ringing the smegs up at talktalk to complain will be any good in speeding the service up. you here stories of broadband providers slowing down their output so it goes further ,or reducing broadband width.help from any of you compooter nerds will much appreciated.

Whats your postcode (pm me) and what supplier are you with ? I'll look it up and see what you should be getting.
Kamikaze

Postby Underdog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:17 pm

waxer00 wrote:: .does anybody know if ringing the smegs up at talktalk to complain will be any good in speeding the service up.

Bon't bother with a phone call.......register on here http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/ and you will actually get some help from someone. Took me about a week of toing and froing messages with them adjusting things at their end and then telling me what to try at my end but the problem did get resolved and I have had about a year of uniteruppted service ever since.
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby flacky » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:43 pm

The bangles were a great Broad Band.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby waxer00 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 am

thanks for the hints people :D
waxer00

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)