resin panels

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

resin panels

Postby davec » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Anyone know the best tape to use when putting resin panels on a board during the lay up stage-I tried a test with masking tape but it pulls too much at the weave of the cloth. Have tried swaylocks but cant find an answer. Is there a method involving involving" parcel" tape?
thanks for any advice :-D
davec

Re: resin panels

Postby flacky » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Without sounding like a dick, cheap masking tape. Hardly any tack in it. Be right.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby seasofcheese » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:30 am

Is there a reason why you want to do it at lay-up?
seasofcheese

Postby davec » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:46 am

I have done panels after laminating and had trouble getting a the resin to lay flat then had to be so careful sanding to avoid sand throughs! Probably over thinking this one but I thought there was a method that could be done during the lam as long as it is done before the resin goes off in order to cut lap at the end. Thanks for the replies will probably go with adding the panels after the lam as it may well be easier.
Thanks again :-D
dave
davec

Postby seasofcheese » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:37 am

Panels on the sanded hot-coat are the standard, you need to kick them quickly and pull the tape early - good tape is quite important. Sand them back as much as you can without loosing colour and sand carefully after gloss - done. Don't add too much pigment as this effects the cure time and allows bleeding, darker colours nearly always require less pigment and white needs a little more for a solid cover. Lots of masking paper so you can brush long strokes to get a flat even coat.
seasofcheese

Postby AB3 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:45 am

You can foam stain them do a tinted inlay then glass over or on the hotcoat depends what effect you are after
http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=201021076577094
AB3

Postby davec » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Many thanks fells you have helped me to get clearer about the process.
best wishes :-D
dave
davec

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design