Rip Curl Rubber Soul Boots

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Rip Curl Rubber Soul Boots

Postby mister-griffster » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Anyone tried these? http://store.magicseaweed.com/Rip-Curl-Rubber-Soul-3mm-S-T-Boot-2013/Item/20395/

Been a while since my head was turned but SEEM a good idea - are they warm, flexy etc?
mister-griffster

Re: Rip Curl Rubber Soul Boots

Postby wigsy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:10 pm

No idea man, but the C-Skins gloves of the same construction are super comfortable and flexy.

Longevity on both items seems like it'd be lacking, however.

Check out the WetsuitCentre's website, they do a lot of product explanation videos.. May be worth a view.
wigsy

Postby Black » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:24 pm

3mm Wetsuit boot dipped in latex offering a fully watertight but flexible alternative to thick winter wetsuit boots.
So why do they also sell a 5mm - boooolllsheeet!!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby henryg » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:48 pm

I've just bought some and they feel super flexible and comfy. time will tell if they are durable and warm through the coldest months
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby mister-griffster » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Surely they must fill with water from the suit - so ballooning maybe an issue? Club feet can't be a good way to walk the board?
mister-griffster

Postby ears » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Okay... I'll own up to buying a pair of these bad boys.. I got the 3mm (I didn't even know they did 5mm) I wore them for the first time last week.. Very toasty and really, really light. Good grip, blah de blah.. The split toe was a pain in the arse as the toe bit is pretty small.. I had three sessions, didn't wear them for the second and was very nippy. I don't usually wear boots till December (although I've recently discovered the delights of the east coast and that's bastard freezing so its boots all year round I reckon) sorry.. I'm actually boring myself here.. Great idea, tiny bit of ballooning but deffo v warm although its early days so there could be dramatic changes in the coming months or years.. They are way less cumbersome than my usual pair xcel Infiniti split toe. Good stuff but I can't see them lasting that long :D
ears

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Nice one ears - sounds like they could possibly be a contender - I've had my Xcel Infinitys for a few years so they've stretched out a bit - the Drylocks I have are too small - thought they would give, but it's the sole that's the problem.

Gotta make a choice soon-ish as to a replacement for my too small Drylocks - I'll put them in the 'consider' pile
mister-griffster

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Looks like a sharp stone would go through them like butter. Never seen a pair so pure speculation.
Poo Stance

Postby gavtheoldskater » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:38 pm

o'neill do them too.

atan, french company, have been doing them for years. very well regarded in windsurf/kitesurf worlds.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby Black » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:56 pm

gavtheoldskater wrote:o'neill do them too.

atan, french company, have been doing them for years. very well regarded in windsurf/kitesurf worlds.

Yeah, don't flog your kitey wind bollox to us proper sufers! :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Got some C-skins NxtGen gloves, same tech.

Used them a couple times and had no balooning, found them really warm and light. However, they are slippery buggers, so it's a good idea to wax your rails and/or the palms/fingers of the gloves before surfage :D
Archy_is_God

Postby ears » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Quick update... All good points re stones etc but I wore them yesterday for an east coast session (Norfolk) whilst not quite bastard freezing its a good bit colder than the southwest plus the shore break is all stone, flint and lumps of concrete.. No problems with durability and I was still pretty warm after two hours.. They were ballooning a bit though. Overall they are proving to be very good.. Way less bulk and they don't smell like a dead dogs arse (yet) reckon the 3mm is plenty for the southwest... Also I see that xcel are doing them (spotted a thread on jamboards about them)

Carry on.. :-D
ears

Postby Nemo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 pm

I tried a pair of the o'neil dipped gloves. nice and warm, but have holed a pair after 5 sessions. After a surf noticed a hole between thumb and finger. needless to say its now got bigger and the glove fills with water, and pours down my wetsuit arm. Just ordered a new pair of normal gloves that should be harder wearing. Also very hard to get on and off, as you have to be a bit more careful with them to avoid knackering them up.
Nemo

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

I've gone through 2 pairs of Xcel Drylocks - by far the warmest glove I've worn - but seals on thumb and between forefinger broke - first lot after 2 sessions - second pair after 1 session. MSW replaced the first pair but I didn't wear the second until after the warranty had expired.

Obviously a design fault in the seams

good to know how this latex dipped equipment is faring though - still curious about the boots / gloves - may have to order som after my winter break ;)
mister-griffster

Postby splinter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Just returned a pair of the O Neil Gooru gloves that have the same rubber dipping process applied to them.

They lasted about 8 weeks and were pretty much destroyed when I handed them back for a refund. Had a large split on one of the palms and the end of one of the fingers had pretty much disintegrated.

I was a bit cynical about them lasting.....but 8 weeks! :?
splinter

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Hmm, not good...

The C skins are holding up ok so far, but you do have to treat them with, uh.. Kid gloves
Archy_is_God

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:50 pm

those c skins ones make you look like your clad in spandex though...
Vince Noir

Postby surfgoth » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 pm

everyone must be snapping those up because pretty much every surf shop in the l.a. area is out. i bought a pair online, ordering the same size as my xcel booties. theyre definitely smaller, so my toes bunch up a bit. other than being wary of possible size differences, i would recommend them, as theyre pretty warm, and suction to your feet so there is less bulk.
surfgoth

Postby henryg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Mine have started, for want of better description, 'delaminating'. The rubber coating has started to bubble away from the neoprene. I'm not that warm in them now either (5mm water temp 8-9 Celsius)
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby spaddywaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:45 am

I have a pair of the rubber soul boots and i really like them. As somebody already stated they do come up smaller in foot size. I'm normally a uk 8 and i fit into a US10 UK 9. They feel really comfortable and i havent had any durability issues yet after a full seasons use.

Here's a review of the O'Neill gooru wetsuit gloves http://www.freakfish.co.uk/oneill-gooru-wetsuit-gloves-review/
spaddywaddy

Postby ears » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Latest update.. My boots are now officially fucked. My own fault as I rode a log for the first time in ages and I have a habit of dragging my toe up the board when I take off.. I very neatly removed the latex and the water seeps very easily through the neoprene underneath.. This is now a hole so they're unwearable (foot froze yesterday) I'm waiting for them to dry and I'll attempt to glue them up a bit.. So weird putting my excels back on.. Felt like trainers, fine in the water though plus I went back in gloveless and it felt bearable - ish.. I still think they're a great idea but as archy sad its I'd gloves all the way!
ears

Postby ears » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 pm

That's 'kid gloves' even... :oops:
ears

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Great work on the feedback fellas - I think I'll put these latex numbers in the bin reserved for 'nice idea' needs some R=D. ^ Ears - from what you say, and being a logger, I'll be sticking with something a bit tougher for a while
mister-griffster

Postby Bchristensen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 pm

I've owned the 5mm rubber soul boots for about 3 months. I wear boots year round 2-4x/week. I knew these would be fragile, so they have been babied.

Pro:
Warmest most flexible and comfortable booties ever purchased.

Con:
Falling apart after a couple of months. Too easy to accidentally introduce small cuts from fingernails which expand to large gashes within a week or two of use. Many small cracks appear at seams which also quickly turn into larger holes.

I would not recommend unless you don't mind buying several pair every year.
Bchristensen

Return to Wetsuits and gear