Hands on rails or deck when popping up?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Hands on rails or deck when popping up?

Postby eivsemb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi guys. When I pop up I have always placed my hands on the rails instead of placing them flat on the deck. In surf movies and live contests I see that all the guys are placing their hands flat on their deck, so that made me wonder if I'm doing anything wrong.. :p Is this hands on rails thing a newbie mistake, such that I should try to change my technique? What are the pros with hands flat on deck? Thanks
eivsemb

Re: Hands on rails or deck when popping up?

Postby Philshoz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:34 pm

If it works for you, all well and good but the first time those mitts slip off and you face plant the deck you will understand why the vast majority use the hands on deck method.

This just reminded me of a guy back in Wales that used to pop up on his elbows/forearms...... :shock:
Last edited by Philshoz on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Just work on making your pop up as instinctive as possible and you'll be using your hands flat on the deck in no time. When I started I used to grab the raild but that always led to me not letting go as soon as I should and boogie boarding around down the face of waves and turning over. You only need them on the deck for a second or so for most waves.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby eivsemb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Yeah I also figured it's possible for the hands to slip off when grabbing the rails. I also think that it will give improved balance as the hands are placed further away from the center of the board, but I guess that's really not a problem once getting used to placing the hands on deck.

As Jim said, it makes sence that it's easier to pop up early with hands on deck, as it will naturally push the upper body more away from the board, making for a easier pop up to the feet. Will definitely try to do both techniques next time I'll go surf!
eivsemb

Postby briggfoot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:53 pm

I got told not to pop-up using the rails as you tend to not let go for too long.
Making the 'transition' to popping up using hand contact on the deck is piss-easy, after about 5 waves you'll have the hang of it.
Let's face it, when you practise a pop-up on dry land at the beach, you plant your palms on the floor, not on a rail, so you've already gone through the motions of the movement.
briggfoot

Postby flacky » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:05 am

Rails are easier when learning, as you physically have hold of the board, eventually, and you won't even notice when, your hands will naturally move to a better more natural position.

Biggest and most disappointing stumbling block I ever faced, and still do, is over thinking. Just do it, go with it, and it will click.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Chris F » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 pm

What flacky says. So much so, that I'm having trouble remembering if I i grip rails or press down. Probably press down, as my herculean pinch grip strength would put dents in the rails :wink:
Chris F

Return to Learn to Surf