Frozen baked potato

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Frozen baked potato

Postby Black » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Yes, believe it or not I have discovered that you can purchase frozen baked potatoes! WTF
So the scenario goes like this:
A company uses energy to bake a potato. Energy is then used to freeze it AND to store it. The consumer buys it and uses more energy to keep it frozen until such time they feel like eating it. To eat it more energy is used for the recommended 10 minutes of microwaving from frozen to end up with..... a baked potato!

What's the alternative? Stick a raw potato in the microwave for LESS than 10 minutes and you end up with a baked potato. I tell you honestly a guy at work didn't know you could cook a raw potato in the microwave, he was very surprised.

Besides any idiot knows you can get a whole frozen meal microwaved in 10 minutes so why settle for a baked potato?? :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Re: Frozen baked potato

Postby henryg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 pm

I had a similar reaction when I discovered that you could buy frozen baked potatoes. There are idiots in the world that would definitely not survive if they didn't have food with simple instructions attached. I have actually seen someone read the instructions on a tin of beans.
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 pm

My mate's sister once asked us how to boil an egg. Never lived that one down, we were in stitches for days. :lol:
Poo Stance

Postby Matt Rose » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Packaged fruit and grated cheese :evil: :evil:
Matt Rose

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Anyone seen the new dehydrated water that Tesco are selling ?
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Philchapman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 pm

/\ Is that what they call "salt"? :?

The worlds gawn mad! I think I shop from about 5% of any given supermarkets shelves. The rest of it is utter useless crap whose only purpose is to swindle people out of their cash, and ruin their health, so they then "need" more toxic medicines (which just happen to be made by some of the same companies, or parent companies). Eg; What IS Febreze? Can't smell that "bad" smell anymore? That's 'cos it's just ruined your sense of smell!
http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/febreze.html
Same for other Air "fresheners", Deodorants (contain chemicals to make you smell worse... so you think you need more deodorants!), Tampons (contain chemicals to make you ladies bleed more, so you need to use more tampons), Perfumes, household cleaning products, processed foods, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, G.M. "foods", the list goes on and on. Thing is, unless you detox from this stuff you don't always realise what it's doing to you..... and if you do, the majority think you're a mental wacko for being so "picky". Lets all stop buying this shit, eh?
Philchapman

Postby Leedsol » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:05 pm

I read some of the above link. Bit angry tho' as I followed the advice to neutralise smells by the use of baking powder and suggested my wife sprinkle some on her fishy fanny....she twatted me.

Bloo on offer at Sainsburys at the mo btw, my bogs are smelling brill
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Philchapman wrote:/\ Is that what they call "salt"? :?

The worlds gawn mad! I think I shop from about 5% of any given supermarkets shelves. The rest of it is utter useless crap whose only purpose is to swindle people out of their cash, and ruin their health, so they then "need" more toxic medicines (which just happen to be made by some of the same companies, or parent companies). Eg; What IS Febreze? Can't smell that "bad" smell anymore? That's 'cos it's just ruined your sense of smell!
http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/febreze.html
Same for other Air "fresheners", Deodorants (contain chemicals to make you smell worse... so you think you need more deodorants!), Tampons (contain chemicals to make you ladies bleed more, so you need to use more tampons), Perfumes, household cleaning products, processed foods, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, G.M. "foods", the list goes on and on. Thing is, unless you detox from this stuff you don't always realise what it's doing to you..... and if you do, the majority think you're a mental wacko for being so "picky". Lets all stop buying this shit, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf_WiEb9Qs
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Philchapman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:48 am

It is possible to be smart and stupid at the same time.
Philchapman

Postby Chris F » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Black wrote:Yes, believe it or not I have discovered that you can purchase frozen baked potatoes! WTF
So the scenario goes like this:
A company uses energy to bake a potato. Energy is then used to freeze it AND to store it. The consumer buys it and uses more energy to keep it frozen until such time they feel like eating it. To eat it more energy is used for the recommended 10 minutes of microwaving from frozen to end up with..... a baked potato!

What's the alternative? Stick a raw potato in the microwave for LESS than 10 minutes and you end up with a baked potato. I tell you honestly a guy at work didn't know you could cook a raw potato in the microwave, he was very surprised.

Besides any idiot knows you can get a whole frozen meal microwaved in 10 minutes so why settle for a baked potato?? :lol:

I'm going got play the devil's advocate here, as I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole but;

If you microwave a potato for 10 minutes you will end up with a microwaved potato, not a baked potato. Edible yes, but nowhere near as nice as a proper crispy oven baked potato. If the potatoes are baked at a local source (and not shipped halfway across the world for baking), then if they are done in bulk in a huge industrial oven a hundred or so at a time in an oven kept at temperature all day then the energy consumed will be a fraction of that used to bake them one at a time. If they are then frozen in a huge industrial freezer again the power required to keep it at temp is also fairly minimal. It can then be bulk distributed along with loads of other frozen goods, kept in a freezer along with loads of other frozen goods, and consumed as an when required with a blast in the microwave once they have defrosted. better I guess than the average punter buying a bag of fresh potatoes, leaving them in a cupboard and chucking half in the bin when they start sprouting or going manky, and I also think better then buying frozen overprocessed croquettes or waffles and taking on too much salt, flavourings, unsaturated fats and colourings.

Just a thought.
Chris F

Postby Black » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Yes some good points. Couple of answers... I have been told the baked/micro'd spud isn't crispy, this was raised during conversation at the time too. You shouldn't buy a big bag of spuds if you aren't going to eat them - one of the arguments against 'buy one get one free' = wastage. I eat microwaved 'baked' spuds these days mainly because of laziness, yes not the same as a baked spud but perfectly fine with cheese etc. You could cook your own baked spuds with other stuff for efficiency if you wanted, or just have lots of children so they can eat an ovens worth! Yes that's more than a couple of points, sorry. :-)
Black

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 pm

A nice spud in the microwave for a few minutes then into the oven until all nice and baked and crispy, perfect. However I guess these ones you just zap in the microwave might appeal to people going to work and want something they can break out of a packet. The other day one of my lovely local fellow shoppers (draped in the finest pyjamas) had a trolley full of frozen microwaveable bacon sandwiches, a serious WTF.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Black » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 pm

^^^That also reminds me of those burger in a bun that come in a plastic carton and have a sell by date way in the future. Not sure what they are made of but its not food.
Wonder if Firewire are going to bring out a frozen baked potato? :lol:
Black

Postby waxer00 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:37 am

My head felt like a frozen baked potato yesterday in the surf..bleddy freezing it was.
waxer00

Postby Philshoz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:24 am

^^ What he said............ :-x

I'm going to invent a heated hood.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby roberdy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 am

waxer00 wrote:My head felt like a frozen baked potato yesterday in the surf..bleddy freezing it was.

Sounds like you need a nice almost new but cheap Xcel hood my friend.....
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby waxer00 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 am

roberdy wrote:
waxer00 wrote:My head felt like a frozen baked potato yesterday in the surf..bleddy freezing it was.

Sounds like you need a nice almost new but cheap Xcel hood my friend.....

thanks ,but i`ve got an excel rashy with a hood attached to it.i just forgot to bring it with me :oops:
waxer00

Postby Chris F » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:51 pm

Black wrote:^^^That also reminds me of those burger in a bun that come in a plastic carton and have a sell by date way in the future. Not sure what they are made of but its not food.

That shit scares me. Surely if frozen baked potatoes lure people away from such unpleasantries it can only be a good thing?
Chris F

Postby Matt Rose » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Chris F wrote:
Black wrote:^^^That also reminds me of those burger in a bun that come in a plastic carton and have a sell by date way in the future. Not sure what they are made of but its not food.

That shit scares me. Surely if frozen baked potatoes lure people away from such unpleasantries it can only be a good thing?

A bloke at our work used to heat those up in a microwave, stunk like rotting meat.
Matt Rose

Postby Philchapman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:13 pm

/\ Probably 'cos that's what it was/is.
Philchapman

Postby bakers » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Philchapman wrote:It is possible to be sm :lol: art and stupid at the same time.

100% yes, had a graduate in work trail us for a little while who knew how to climb up a ring ladder but didnt know how to get down it :lol:
bakers

Postby bakers » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:54 pm

^^^ sorry not baked spud related but i still find it amusing!!!!
bakers

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)