The GEAR REVIEW Thread...

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Re: The GEAR REVIEW Thread...

Postby Black » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:26 pm

danny1 wrote:I bought a xcel 5/4 off King of water sports on ebay.

It was listed as hooded- when it turned up it was without.

Gutted. messaged the seller and they sent me more than enough to make mje think im gonna be a customer fot life

so I am bigging up King of water sports - total legends. no dicking around.

Eh??????????????
Clearly that is based on griper statistics.......... Have KOWS hijacked your account?? Spelling?
So what happens when everyone complains they didn't get what they ordered?
You cannot big up a company who doesn't give you what you order FFS!?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby danny1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 pm

why not? they made a mistake and rectified it with £50 worth of extra goods. that is great customer service.
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Black » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Hmmm, sounds more reasonable with less wine inside me. Still not sure though! :lol:
Black

Postby H3X » Wed May 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Ripcurl flashbomb wetsuit 5:3mm
I love pretty much anything about this wetsuit, as a beginner the only issue i've found is when i was hiring a board from the local shop (foamy) the kneepads seemed to slide around alot as there was no form of grip what so ever. Since i bought my own board with wax ect thats no longer an issue i go out most days for 1-2 hours and i've never yet had a flush. Its extreamly tight how ever i feel like i have no movement restrictions what so ever. Extreamly happy with this peace of kit. Colours are great too!

Ripcurl flashbomb 5 finger gloves 5:3mm
Now this is the second pair i got, the first pair i got were the wrong size and i could only get the 5:3 in my size so just decided to settle with them. They are extreamly warm, dont get flushes down them at all how ever i feel they are awefully thick. I beleive the 3mm all around would have been the better option for myself personally. They can be extreamly annoying to turn inside out and right way up again washing them out and letting them dry. Over all im happy with them, how ever somewhat gutted i never went for the 3mm.

Ripcurl flashbomb boots 7mm
The boots are great how ever i've previously had about of an accident with them get this out the way before i get any further, the strap around the lower of my foot as i was pulling that over to strap onto the velcro it snapped in two over the plastic thing you feed it though and turn back over. I went in the water with it broken and no water got in so i've sewed that together and just going to put it on very slack from now on!
Ok so, back to the pro's they are extreamly warm and they are a great fit for me, like probably the best fit in any kind of footwear i've ever had you have so much movement in them and can feel everything underfoot, I've had the odd cold flush comming in from somewhere but it takes seconds to warm back up, like i said ive been in the sea around scotland for a few hours and never felt the cold.. has to tell you something.

Ripcurl flashbomb hood 3mmThe hood is great, i'm somewhat unsure on how its supposed to be woren it looks as if its supposed to go over your chin how ever when i've done that a few times it seems to creep towards my bottom lip when i get "TOLD" by the sea. So i've started to put it under my chin and tighten it right up, no flushes have been getting in. and keeps my ears toasty warm.

Over all i feel it all looks great, it is my first wetsuit i've bought but ive wore many this is by far the best fitting and warmest i've tried on.

Oh and one more thing.. this 15 minute drying lark is true how ever, its the fluffy stuff inside the suit, that does not include the arms and lower legs of the inside of your suit or the outside of the suit. It took me abit of research to find that out as i was going into enrage wondering why it was wet like 8 hours after use!

cheers for reading up, hope it helps some people!
H3X

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu May 03, 2012 6:56 am

Just remembered that I ordered a suit from King of... a few years ago and they had run out stock, so they threw me a new version of the next model up. Can't say fairer than that...
Archy_is_God

Postby Nizzer » Wed May 16, 2012 10:42 am

As the old Bday is coming up am looking at getting some kit for surf travels further a-field, so looking at gettin a decent coffin bag (Iv used my day bag and padding before but dont want to be risking that again).

I quite like the look of this:

http://www.surfinghardware.co.uk/Details.cfm?category=202&ProdID=687

anyone used one of these or got any better suggestions :? ?

Cheers
Nizzer

Postby swiggy » Wed May 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Nizzer wrote:As the old Bday is coming up am looking at getting some kit for surf travels further a-field, so looking at gettin a decent coffin bag (Iv used my day bag and padding before but dont want to be risking that again).

Cheers

The Rhino ones aren't bad, but for £150 you could get an ocean and earth coffin. I have the 7 ft quad coffin, and it is awesome. Thing is really solidly made, it will last a lifetime, and protects your boards well. I have the quad board coffin so that I can put 3 boards in it in their individual bags with good protection, plus everything else you need for a surf trip, clothes etc. I bought mine 5-6 years ago, but it was £130 or so. Not even showing any signs of wear, its had a lot of abuse. I rate them extremely highly. No wheels on mine, they do add a bit of weight.
swiggy

Postby Nizzer » Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 am

swiggy wrote:
Nizzer wrote:As the old Bday is coming up am looking at getting some kit for surf travels further a-field, so looking at gettin a decent coffin bag (Iv used my day bag and padding before but dont want to be risking that again).

Cheers

The Rhino ones aren't bad, but for £150 you could get an ocean and earth coffin. I have the 7 ft quad coffin, and it is awesome. Thing is really solidly made, it will last a lifetime, and protects your boards well. I have the quad board coffin so that I can put 3 boards in it in their individual bags with good protection, plus everything else you need for a surf trip, clothes etc. I bought mine 5-6 years ago, but it was £130 or so. Not even showing any signs of wear, its had a lot of abuse. I rate them extremely highly. No wheels on mine, they do add a bit of weight.

Cheers Swiggy, Il defo check em out, I only have the 1 board at the moment and will be getting a second this year some time, so prob wont need anything more than a 2-3 board coffin, tho the extra room is never a bad investment. It'l be a case of internet trawling to try and get the best price tho, most of the UK based stores seem quite pricey tho.
Nizzer

Postby Steviesee » Thu May 17, 2012 11:35 am

[

Cheers

Nizzer

I've got a 7 foot one which I used for taking my boards to Morocco. It's a good robust piece of kit. I only took the 2 boards, but with fins removed it will take 3.
With 2 boards I had enough room for my luggage too. Boards got there and back undamaged. The wheels are great if you have to lump it around a bit, but if weight's an issue Rhino also do one without wheels.

Stevie
Steviesee

Postby swiggy » Thu May 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Nizzer wrote:
swiggy wrote:

Cheers

Cheers Swiggy, Il defo check em out, I only have the 1 board at the moment and will be getting a second this year some time, so prob wont need anything more than a 2-3 board coffin, tho the extra room is never a bad investment. It'l be a case of internet trawling to try and get the best price tho, most of the UK based stores seem quite pricey tho.

I'd go bigger, it just means your boards can be better protected, inside their own boardbag in the coffin. With a double bag, you won't fit 2 boards inside their own boardbags in there. If you want to carry 2 boards Id get a triple, if you want to carry 3 boards get a quad. 3 boards just fit in my quad bag, to get 4 would be a real squeeze, you could maybe fit a towel between them for protection and thats it, you'd be gambling taking flights with them packed like that.

But the ocean and earth bags seem better quality than the rhino or FCS, and they weren't any more expensive when I got mine. Seriously its taken some abuse, fallen out the back of a truck, been dragged down the road, it even floated when I had to wade in waist-chest deep water with it off a boat in indo. And I've had 36 kilos in it before, its bombproof. My mates rhino bag was falling apart by the end of the same 2 month trip. Its probably one of the best quality bits of kit I have ever bought, if they made wetsuits that durable it would be awesome.
swiggy

Postby REO » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:48 pm

just splashed out after trying every decent wetty about... went for the quiksilver cypher . used it last night at north fizzers on a few and its perfect for me.. hardly feels like you have it on ... doesnt flush and seems tough.. very happy so far!
Spent most of my life surfing...wasted the rest
REO

Postby zboy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:22 pm

jus bought a summer riocurl e3 bomb chest zip suit, superflex,butter soft neoprene,no flushing of any sort, great suit cant see it lasting very long :-)
zboy

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:15 pm

^^got one of them - was wearing it right into December last year , superstretch, zero flush - takes longer than my Xcel to dry though :?
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:59 pm

wetsuit was rank today even after washing , needed to piss to bring a set in , you know the score .......anway got given this 'funk away' stuff for x-Mas - thought it was a lot of bollocks - miracle cure

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31r0VFbq0eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[img]

Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby dixie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:08 am

ill never buy another suit other than a second skin premier
4/3 160 quid wear all yr round
flexier than my xcel 3/2

would be tempted for the 5/3 version for the coldest days in feb
dixie

Postby leash-tan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:34 pm

So, Was getting a bit thirsty out there the other day. The walk back to the car was quite far and the tide was dropping meaning probably only another hour, maybe hour and a half of good waves till the low tide took all the grunt.

Camelbak (as in water drinking device you wear like a backpak) for surfing? what you reckon? A bit naff or maybe worthy of a thought?

Maybe you could turn 4hr sessions into 8 hour sessions?? I bet if Ripcurl made one the kooks would be on it like no one's business
leash-tan

Postby Black » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 pm

^^^ Being somewhat autistic, that's not a review.
Black

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Black wrote:^^^ Being somewhat autistic, that's not a review.

^^^^ :lol:
buttholesurfer

Postby Black » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 pm

buttholesurfer wrote:

Neither is that! :lol:
Black

Postby Black » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Black wrote:
buttholesurfer wrote:

Neither is that! :lol:

Neither is that - oh shut up Black!!!
Black

Postby purpleandy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:19 am

just bought me one of these, heavily discounted (not from this shop though). absolutley bloody amazing. sooo comfy and felxible..... the technobutter neoprene (wtf??) is amazing stuff....

http://www.ultimatesurf.co.nz/shop/products-page/wetsuits-booties-hot-tops-rashies/2012-oneill-hyperfreak-3-53/
CAMWA founding member - the campaign for warm ale. Bloody kiwis stick everything in the fridge........cold ale is just plain wrong.....
purpleandy

Postby benjamin007 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 pm

O'neill psycho 1

Any reviews? are they warm enough? feel very thin compared to other brands
benjamin007

Postby skimmer2 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:14 am

Not happy that after a year my Northcore seat cover is falling apart...the stitching just ain't that strong as with the material.

I had waterproof seat covers that lasted for years and lost them - but now got one of them again - made by UK covers who supply direct via their website. Ordered another set and they are good price for two of them...and have a 2 year guarantee.
skimmer2

Postby dermo909 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I recently got a Billabong Revolution 5/4 (2012) wetsuit and its definitely a huge step up from the Billabong Foil suit that I've had for a couple of years.

The Revolution is a completely different. Its way lighter, more flexible, stretchy and figure hugging. The surfs I've had in it so far have'nt been in the coldest conditions but I've been very warm and possibly too warm at times. Flexibility is great and it does'nt feel like I'm fighting the neoprene as I paddle. I got a free hood with the suit too(from wetsuit outlet) and thats also a great addition. Zero flush and barely feels like you are wearing a wetsuit at all!

Hugely impressed and would completely recommend it to others. Especially if you can find a 2012 model in your size(like me) that they are trying to flog before the 2013 range comes in.
dermo909

Postby kickmee6 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:55 pm

QuikSilver 2mm 5 finger "Neo-Goo" gloves

Unreal gloves. Insanely light, absurdly warm.

Kept my hands good and warm on three separate occasions, each a 4 hour session in -- according to surfline -- "52-48 degree water," with pretty chilly and strong north winds blowing.

I should add that I was wearing a 4/3 on one of the sessions, and a 5.5/4 on the other two. I added the extra neoprene to extend the time i could keep my hands comfortable in these gloves. (also, the RG8 is the winter suit i'm referring to and it is an amazing suit -- fits better than my psycho II back zip 4/3).

honestly, I would rather wear my winter suit with the extra neoprene than wear a different pair of gloves.

If I was in the 4/3 with these gloves and a detachable hood I doubt I would have lasted the 4 hours two more times.
kickmee6

Postby Poo Stance » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 am

Wore my Alder Evo 4/3 for the first time today. £40 new off eBay. Was toasty warm. Absolute bargiain. Think they only have Medium in that suit but they have other bargains on other models. Size was a tad small for me height wise but it pulled over my gloves and boots easy. Back zip and it was a bit tight on the chest shoulders but not restrictively. Very happy with it. If it last longer than 10 surfs without the outside liquid seams peeling off it will have done better than my West Edge. Was thinking of taking it to the canaries but not a chance going on how warm I was today. Wind was v light and sun was out, to give you an idea, channel coast. Should there be a paragraph there somewhere? :-|
Poo Stance

Postby Pablo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 am

Theses are all first for me as I've just started so don't have anything to compare against save a hire suit which flushed badly!

C Skins Wired 2012 5/4/3 Chest Zip
Very warm, light and flexible, a little tight on the shoulders though this maybe the norm with either new suits or 5mm. No flushing but it is a great fit!
Build quality is good to! Highly recommend this wetty!

Billabong 7mm SG5 2013 boots. S/T
Great feel and warmth! Maybe a tad to thick for the SW but I get cold feet so they are great for me.
Build quality seems to be good as well but I'll update if anything goes wrong,

Billabong 3mm SG5 gloves 2013.
Very warm and light, bit tight so not much feel. Good length up the wrist so your suit stays over them well!
Bit unsure as to build quality, the seams in between the fingers looks a bit shoddy! Will update when they fail!

Xcel Drylock hood.
Very warm! Good fit and the 2 flap system, 1 in, 1 over the neck works very well. No flushing. Very comfy.

Tiki soft rack. (Surfari)
Awesome!! Very easy to use, takes minutes to fit and because of the buckle system it tightens as the wind lifts the board.
Didn't miss a beat over 530 miles.
Pablo

Postby Passportstamps » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Patagonia Wetsuits. Are they worth the cash?
Passportstamps

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 am

By all accounts they are warm, last long and have a good warranty...

A custom Snugg with Yamamoto rubber is still cheaper though
Archy_is_God

Postby Ferral » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 am

oneill 3mm SL wetsuits gloves.

Utter drivel, I've had them for under a month and they have torn next to the seams on one glove and all the the neoprene has 'rubbed' off the fingers on the other. absolutely fuming. whats worse is I've lost the receipt and packaging so i dont think I can return them :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ferral

PreviousNext

Return to Wetsuits and gear