van or estate?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: van or estate?

Postby danny1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Im working away alot at the mo'. Running own biz so avoid hotels. Van has saved me a fookin fortune.

Kipped in my van last night. Minus 6. Woke up- ran to were I'm working showered shaved and boom in the desk for 7.30am

Door had frozen shut though so had a bit of comedy trying to get out

I cold just get a hotel but I'm really not arsed cos the van is fine
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Philshoz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 am

How about.......

Ambulance.jpg
Ambulance.jpg (29.43 KiB) Viewed 538 times
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby WP101 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 am

ATTMFKH wrote:

what about those big pylons ? Far enough away ? :wink:

pylons?
WP101

Postby defever » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 am

WP101 wrote:Tidy

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Indeed! But stretching my budget at bit there... Didn't realise V40 has combined MPG of 52! V70s on 47ish MPG. But judging from the pictures, V40 boot definitely looks cramped compared to other estates...

I thought all Volvo models were RWD, but apparently not. Bit of Googling shows Volvo stopped making RWD after 1998, last models of 940 and 960 still have RWD apparently.

danny1 wrote:Door had frozen shut though so had a bit of comedy trying to get out

Details please, danny1!

I think you found my dream vehicle, Philshoz. Merc with blues and twos will get me anywhere in no time... err what seems to be the problem officer?
defever

Postby WP101 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:42 pm

seems to have been sold anyway
WP101

Postby danny1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:33 pm

defever wrote:
danny1 wrote:Door had frozen shut though so had a bit of comedy trying to get out

Details please, danny1!

err well i kip overnight in proper sleeling bag...i wake up and put on my running gear real quick- jump out- lock up and run a couple of miles into the city and get showered at work.

On this occasion - wake up...grab me stuff...climb out of bag...quickly got shorts trainers etc on- went to pull handle on side door- frozen- jump into the front...passenger side door frozen...cant get out....its fuckin cold so i get back in sleeping bag with my gear on and think when im gonna do. You can open the back door by pokin a finger through a hole so i tried that...it worked so climb over back seats and just as i jumped out two people walked past...scared shite out of them.
danny1

Postby WP101 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:58 pm

danny1 wrote:
defever wrote:

Details please, danny1!

err well i kip overnight in proper sleeling bag...i wake up and put on my running gear real quick- jump out- lock up and run a couple of miles into the city and get showered at work.

On this occasion - wake up...grab me stuff...climb out of bag...quickly got shorts trainers etc on- went to pull handle on side door- frozen- jump into the front...passenger side door frozen...cant get out....its fuckin cold so i get back in sleeping bag with my gear on and think when im gonna do. You can open the back door by pokin a finger through a hole so i tried that...it worked so climb over back seats and just as i jumped out two people walked past...scared shite out of them.

you thought about a diesel cab heater like the ones in lorries? i think they use approximately fek all diesel, like a drip an hr and you can leave them on all night :D
WP101

Postby danny1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Hmmm not yet... Googling now
danny1

Postby benjamin007 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Had an Astra van with cheap tax which was quick and good on fuel, could sleep in it too, on my own

Now got a T5 which is juicy as I only do about 12 miles a day stop and start journeys, came with a nice price tag too which I'm struggling to justify!

Best surf wagon, small van or estate cheaper to run = more trips away Simple.
Or a old banged up HiAce they go forever and never need work.
benjamin007

Postby defever » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:45 pm

WP101 wrote:you thought about a diesel cab heater like the ones in lorries? i think they use approximately fek all diesel, like a drip an hr and you can leave them on all night :D

Useful thread from Hilux Surf enthusiasts' forum:
http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67156

Webasto seems to be the common maker for a heater. Around £600.00 though! I hope I'm not looking at the correct product...
The above threads mentions about BMW engine Rover 75 and MG equivalent having a factory fitted cab heater.
Didn't read the whole thread so it might be a false claim (or not?).
Last edited by defever on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defever

Postby defever » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 pm

benjamin007 wrote:Best surf wagon, small van or estate cheaper to run = more trips away Simple.

Yup, that's how I see it too. Congratulations on your proud ownership of T5!

I did have a look at Vauxhall estates, too. Was your Astra recently registered (after year 2001)? The tax band used to be based on engine size (less or more than 1.6L, £135.00 and £220.00 yearly, respectively) untill March 2001, then CO2 and fuel type came into the equation for any cars registered after then.
defever

Postby danny1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 pm

I useD to have a maestro van with a conversion in the back- it got nicked and torched tho
danny1

Postby danny1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 pm

http://www.chriswicks.co.uk/tandy01.html

Had many Thurso trips in one of these. Perfect for the solo surf trip
danny1

Postby benjamin007 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:21 am

Yeah it was a 05reg one with low emissions so it was £68 or something for 6 months road tax
benjamin007

Postby WP101 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 am

danny1 wrote:Hmmm not yet... Googling now

should be some on ebay?
WP101

Postby ajbiped » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm

My 2p's worth. I've owned quite a few of the cars mentioned over the past few years

Focus Estate - had the 1.8 petrol so not good on fuel but always thought a diesel version with roof bars would make a pretty good surf/work car. Will take a 9'2" easily

Citroen Picasso - comfy but not as good as the Focus. And prone to the odd rattle.

VW Passat - ace car but watch out for electrical problems. I was never 100% certain anything electrical would work from one day to the next which can be a bit of a drag.

Ford Mondeo - had the TDCi version which will easily do 50+ mpg. Plenty big and fast enough but costly when the clutch goes like mine did. :-(

Ex-AA T4 - my current vehicle. It's every bit as good as people say they are. Wouldn't/couldn't justify one just for surfing but I use mine for camping, biking etc. Will be sad to see it go when the time comes.

I'd go for a diesel Focus Estate if had to make a choice based on a balance between surfing, work and running costs
ajbiped

Postby lefty » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:38 pm

excuse my ignorance. aside from being well maintained, whats with the ex AA T4/5 bizness that people have mentioned ?
lefty

Postby Philshoz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:45 pm

So a lot has to do with the various uses a vehicle gets.

Not many can afford a T5 fully loaded sitting on the drive. Plus a run-around for during the week.

I love my T4 1997 1.9td 800 special.

I use it every day for work and it has carried a lot of stuff during the last 12 years for work; plasterboards, rubble, old vines :shock: Only last week a lot of tiles for a job. top top van...... :-D :-D

Then when needed it converts very quickly to this.......

Van Conversion.jpg
Van Conversion.jpg (178.97 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Happy Camper...................
Philshoz

Postby surfrat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 pm

i have a nissan micra.....

not really relevant. have had a few vans and some estates. Loved my old hatchback Ford Mondeo, could fit a 9'0 and sleep in it.
choice all depends on where u live. i live on beach so no need for big car. if i do a trip i'll stick boards on roof or sometimes rent a big car/small van cos if there's a deal on.
having driven the work T5 i can vouch for them but damn pricey.
if i lived inland and wanted to head down for a weekend i'd defo go for an estate given petrol prices and vehicle prices these days, then camp/kip at mates/cheap hostel or kip in back if down for weekend. too bloody expensive for owt else these days.
i can't be bothered with driving for economy these days....i don't do long drives often and now when i do i just wanna get there asap and get out the fricking car!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Black » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:46 pm

surfrat wrote:i can't be bothered with driving for economy these days....i don't do long drives often and now when i do i just wanna get there asap and get out the fricking car!

Ah! You need to learn how to POOTLE! :lol:
Get a vehicle with a high driving position, no road holding and a gutless engine then you will free yourself from driving and pootle everywhere completely relaxed and happy. i.e. get a Renault Kangoo (2 shortboards in the roofspace leaves all the seats and luggage space free).
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby surfrat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 pm

i had a LDV.....all it did was pootle...and leak

then i had a 2.9tdi Sprinter....the antithesis of pootle :evil:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Black » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Yep, if I had a vehicle that didn't pootle I wouldn't be advocating it!! Wife likes pootling though and thats important!!!!!! :-D
Black

Postby defever » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:03 pm

ajbiped wrote:I'd go for a diesel Focus Estate if had to make a choice based on a balance between surfing, work and running costs

Why Focus estate? Instead of Mondeo estate? I'm not challenging your view, just wondered what opted you to chose Focus version of the estate...

I'm trying to understand the variations in models. For example, Focus hatchback version vs estate version; Mondeo saloon version vs estate version. How come each models have "hatchback", "saloon", and "estate" variations? Why don't makers simply classify their models as hatchback, saloon, and estates? For example with Ford, why don't they call all their hatchbacks "Focus" or "Fiesta" and all estates "Mondeo" and all saloons something else? And then within models, there are different trims (correct term?) like "Ghia," "LX," "Zetec."

It's confusing...

Same with Vauxhall "Corsa" "Astra" "Vectra", VW "Polo" "Golf" "Passat", Audi "A3" "A4" "A6"...

Especially with estate variations of a model, some models look as if the rear section was "added" onto an already completed hatchback template at the last minute and just looks like the rear end is hanging on for dear life... like Astra estates and Golf estates. Their build doesn't LOOK like they've considered the mechanical/engineering difference of a hatchback and an estate (for example wheel base, loading stress, weight distribution).

Any thoughts on this....??
defever

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Cars I've had & their surf rating :

VW Passat Estate 2.0L Petrol Auto - greedy bastard on the fuel , joy to drive, dodgy electric windows, takes 9'6", can sleep in but has lip where seats hit front seats (6/10)

Astra Estate 1.7TD diesel - great mpg, bombproof Isuzu engine, bit smaller to sleep in , takes 9'6" (8/10)

Mercedes E200 Estate petrol, 7 Seater - not great on fuel, lovely to sleep in & cook in, takes 9'6" , big comy cruiser for long trips North (7/10)

Ford Mondeo Estate 2.0L petrol automatic - not great on fuel , but magic to drive, comfy to sleep in, takes 9'6" (6/10)

VW Sharan 1.8T Sport Petrol - 7 seater - not great on fuel, take all seats out & you've nearly got a van, full sized double bed space in back, real load lugger, swallows a 9'6", should've gone for a diesel ( 8/10)

Mazda 323F petrol - takes an 8'2" - reasonable on fuel, shite to sleep in, good to nip down the local (6/10)

All bar the Mazda had roof rails, homemade roofbars, two MTB's on the outside and up to 4 boards down the middle :-) there's probably a few other cars in there I've missed. ( Citroen Xsara diesel, good engine , shite running gear, Peugeot 405 estate - shite)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby defever » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 pm

That's very useful ATT, thank you.

So, any boot size between E class and Astra is tolerable for sleeping... Parker's review for boot capacity...
defever

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:44 am

I have only one piece of info to pass on E, stay clear of the Merc vito MK1! Cheap to buy with a great gear box and an engine pulls like a train but...........the body work rusts at the hint of moisture and the drive shafts are a pretty common issue too. Fairly expensive to fix issues either way, loved my merc for about 5 months then the rust started to show and once it took a hold it was a constant battle and an expensive time consuming one too.

I am currently looking at estates or a caddy myself...........though my little pug diesel has legendary fuel consumption!!

C u soon bud
wannabesurfer2003

Postby wigsy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Black wrote: i.e. get a Renault Kangoo (2 shortboards in the roofspace leaves all the seats and luggage space free).

ahh, good shout! Mate of mine has one, seems to be an awesome little surf-wagon.
wigsy

Postby Black » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:50 pm

wigsy wrote:
Black wrote: i.e. get a Renault Kangoo (2 shortboards in the roofspace leaves all the seats and luggage space free).

ahh, good shout! Mate of mine has one, seems to be an awesome little surf-wagon.

Mine is X reg so a bit aged, lots of it don't work anymore. Noticed it had bolt holes above the windows, found some bolts, washers and washing line, hey presto 6'3 & 6'2 stashed and easily removed and still lots of headroom. You wouldn't really see they were in there if you took the fins out. Up & over door at the back for changing shelter. Perfect
Black

Postby Philshoz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:03 am

Black wrote:
wigsy wrote:

Mine is X reg so a bit aged, lots of it don't work anymore. Noticed it had bolt holes above the windows, found some bolts, washers and washing line, hey presto 6'3 & 6'2 stashed and easily removed and still lots of headroom. You wouldn't really see they were in there if you took the fins out. Up & over door at the back for changing shelter. Perfect

And doubles up for a bit of westcountry dogging........... 8) :shock: :wink:
Philshoz

Postby Black » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:37 am

Oi :lol:
Black

PreviousNext

Return to General