Dragon Board

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Dragon Board

Postby flacky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 pm

I'll ask... You can have a go of my Chip...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 am

The Chip is a longboard?

You'll be welcome by the way.

Back in 1998 when I returned to Mt Maunganui one of the older crew there asked if he could have a go on my balsa Ghost 12. We swapped boards out in the water and after a couple of waves offered to buy it, his comment was "It's so balanced".

Anyway we struck a deal and I didn't hear from him for a few days. He later informed me that he'd been down to the 'Mt longboard club' and when he had said that he was buying one of my boards he was told that he'd have to leave the club if he did, as one "can't make a surfboard that way".... thankfully all the people who took that line back then have either fallen on their swords or quietly given up the fight... just thought that you might find the anecdote amusing.

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:17 am

A boards a board, I don't care who it's made by or how. That's a lie, I've had machine made things and hated them all.

My chips a "version" of a hobie Malibu chip from the 50s. 9'8" Rolled bottom to vee, narrow nose, wide tail, moderate rockered. There's a lot of work gone in aesthetically and it's a bit garish I guess, but I appreciate the effort the shaper and glasses put in, and to be honest it's the kind of board that makes you smile before you've paddled out.

I love it!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 am

I'd be stoked to have a go on it, when are you heading down this way?
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:19 am

We start the ball rolling in spring, aiming to be there by your summertime. Get the kids into school just before the break, give them a taster then the holiday to settle in.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby insideout » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Just seen this in a press release, apparently roys boards are being ridden by the pro's......

They report that it has never been easier to score barrels and speed through flat sections!

insideout

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design