One Month January 2014.. WHERE?

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

One Month January 2014.. WHERE?

Postby steveouk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:10 am

Hi guys.

Every year I get the winter blues badly. Normally kicks in at January. This year was really bad. Almost had a nervous breakdown!! The extra cold British weather and the dark short days do nothing for me. But enough about me moaning !

I've wanted to surf abroad for many years now. I've been surfing for most of my life, growing up in Cornwall then moving to Wales. I'm 28. I consider myself a 'part time' intermediate and by that I mean I'm confident in the water and at my peak of surfing every day in Cornwall I was pretty good but over the recent years through work and whatever other excuses I can think of, my surfing has taken a back seat and I'm not as good as I once was. I'm doing something about that now though and I'm going to spend the year targeting my fitness for surfing, plus getting myself in the water as much as possible.

My goal is go somewhere next Janaury 2014 for an entire month and surf. I had a few thoughts, mainly Indo but also toyed with the idea of Sri Lanka or Costa Rica, Morocco etc.

I don't want to go somewhere where the surf is so heavy and fast and big that I end up being shreaded on reefs or unable to catch anything. I want nice clean, easy and fun to ride waves, nothing too much over head height. Plus with the practise I get here in Wales mostly being 2-3foot slop, I think too much of a wave change might shatter my surfing confidence.

So where can you recommend for January for me? And also, would anyone be up for going with me or meeting me there? I don't have many friends that surf or that would be interested or able to go away for a month. Thought that someone on here might want to do what I'm doing so why not buddy up?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

Steven
steveouk

Re: One Month January 2014.. WHERE?

Postby surfrat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Sri Lanka
Mainland west Mexico - Rio Nexpa/Ticla
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby steveouk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Those 2 places sound great. Any more info on them? Have you been yourself?
steveouk

Postby napierm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:17 pm

If every January in the UK was a good as this one has been you wouldn't wanna leave.
napierm

Postby steveouk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I think you're missing the point of why I want to go away for a month.

I've been in South Wales and the surf has been fairly good but getting into my thick 5mm wetsuit with gloves, boots and hoods and thermal in a carpark that is covered in ice and snow, ice cream headaches on those duck dives and the fact that it's dark at 5pm.

Thanks for adding your 2 cents though and using your hard earned time to type the most pointless and unhelpful reply to my question.

Just thought as it's a surf forum, full of surfers, and there is a travel section, about surf travel, I thought I could ask some SURFERS a few suggestions about where to TRAVEL.
steveouk

Postby surfrat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 pm

never went to sri lanka this time of year but many friends have. to be honest i wouldn't go cos if i'm spending the money i'd want some slightly longer and bigger waves than what they get.
Senegal is good in January but all reef breaks and some shallow with rocks and urchins so depends on your experience.
Mexico i did go and this season with NW swells that area will be frequently chest to head high with a few bigger days but long fun friendly cobblestone point breaks and some good powerful beachies too
surfrat

Postby steveo100 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm

I have to say it does look pretty fun in mexico!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2ZLbu4v-o
steveo100

Postby steveo100 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:18 pm

steveo100

Postby surfrat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 pm

both good waves. can be busy but a nice atmosphere generally. awesome tacos on friday and saturday nights in la ticla
surfrat

Postby steveouk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Wow Mexico does look incredible!

I'll be doing this on a complete budget! Might buy the flights early rather than later! Just seen flights to Mexico for under £400!!!!

Not sure what my cheapest option of accommodation would be! Guess I have a year to sort something out!

Can't convince my girlfriend to come with me as she's a teacher and can't get time off outside of term time. Anyone here up for a winter getaway next Jan? Even if its just for a week or 2 out there!

So I have whittled it down to Sri Lanka or Mexico. I was almost convinced by Indo too as my friend is out there and has just uploaded a photo of him with a chimp on his lap!!

I just want warm weather, no wetsuit water, just clean fun waves and not too crowded as I'm a bit of a wet rag when it comes to crowds in the water. I find myself letting others go before me, even if I've been waiting the longest.
steveouk

Postby surfrat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:50 pm

there are cheap cabanas all over the beaches there...something for every budget. also good to take a tent and buy a cheap single hob burner to save money on food.
getting around with boards by bus is easy.
surfrat

Postby rodent » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 pm

South or central america
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby steveo100 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Hey Andy,

So given the choice of main land mexico or indo (say north sumatra) in january which would you choose? I'm thinking of the same, spend the whole month surfing somewhere but not quite sure where yet. Me and the mrs both speak spanish and we're well traveled. looking for some winter sun, some long left handers and a few barrels. :-D Any thought?
steveo100

Return to Surf Travel