Duck diving a longboard

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Duck diving a longboard

Postby dermo909 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 am

Can anyone shed any light on how to do this? I usually try to get the nose into the wave face and 'cut' into the wave. It usually works ok but I'm sure it's not he ideal way to do it.

Turtle rolling is ok but I prefer not to have to climb back onto the board each time.
dermo909

Re: Duck diving a longboard

Postby Leven » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 am

Dip one side of the board first, then the other, rather than trying to sink the whole nose at once.
Leven

Postby North Devon Lad » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 pm

As above, it's more of a slicing movement. Sink one side and push downwards towards that rail, then increase pressure on the other rail to draw level. It's easier to do it when paddling at a bit of pace as well, to help break the water.
http://gregnormansurfer.blogspot.com/
www.blackandwhitesurfcoltd.co.uk
www.tikisurf.co.uk
www.elusivesurf.com
www.obsessive-disorder.com
North Devon Lad

Postby dermo909 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 pm

That seems to be what I'm doing. I usually put more pressure on my left side when going into the wave and balance it out with the right when I'm in the wave. I'm not sure I get completely under the wave though as there's usually some turbulence and I get knocked back a few feet.

When this is done properly is it like a shortboard duck dive where the whole board is submerged and you are completely under the wave?
dermo909

Postby Dantastic » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 pm

How important is it to get your feet on the tail? My board is 7ft 3 and I struggle to duck dive massively as my feet are off the back and I cant get the nose down. I will definitely try the slicing maneuver.
Dantastic

Postby North Devon Lad » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

People have different techniques. I use my knee predominantly where as some of my mates use a foot. Just try and use a lot of force and go as deep as possible.
http://gregnormansurfer.blogspot.com/
www.blackandwhitesurfcoltd.co.uk
www.tikisurf.co.uk
www.elusivesurf.com
www.obsessive-disorder.com
North Devon Lad

Postby dermo909 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:20 am

North Devon Lad wrote:People have different techniques. I use my knee predominantly where as some of my mates use a foot. Just try and use a lot of force and go as deep as possible.

I have'nt been using my leg at all to help me get under waves. I'll try it the next time I'm out!
dermo909

Postby defever » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:31 am

WOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKfUQ_AsrO4

I never thought you could completely duck under the water with a longboard... can't wait to try this myself!
defever

Postby dermo909 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Wow you can really see how far he gets under the wave. Pretty impressive!

Get nose of board into the water and the use your foot to get the rest of the board submerged. Definitely giving this a go in the morning! I foresee a lot of attempts before I get any sort of positive result! I suppose using this technique it's possible to duck dive any board.
dermo909

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice vid that. You can see him using his torso to start the initial push under by leaning onto a rail. Almost like he's about to slide off. Or am I seeing things?
Poo Stance

Postby Chris F » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:39 pm

it looks like he is thrusting the board forward too, once the wave is passing over.
Chris F

Return to Learn to Surf