drying boots and gloves

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Re: drying boots and gloves

Postby WP101 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 pm

mouthwash always works for me, never affected the rubber.. a lot easier (and cheaper)to get a hold of than piss-off etc

socks may get on your tits, moving about in the boot etc, cant see this bothering goatboaters though
WP101

Postby xsurfedgex » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 pm

i attempt to rid my boots of their stench with a few drops of essential oils an ex girlfriend left in my bathroom.

peppermint, lemon or camomile anyone?
xsurfedgex

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:20 pm

swiggy wrote::lol: I have numb sinuses from surfing lots of dirty east coast spots and not draining the water out, doesn't bother me. Seriously though I always have it in a plastic tub that seals, so it really doesn't make the car damp/smell. I do try to take it out and rinse if theres no waves for a few days, but if I'm surfing consecutive days I can't be arsed. I wear my suits out before they have a chance rot, so its not like I'm shortening the life really..

Keeping a suit wet will actually increase it's lifespan, so if you can face the dampness while suiting up for a dawnie, then go for it.

A few guys round here tip a hot water bottle/flask of warm water into their suits before putting them on. Others put their suits on in the shower before heading out for a surf (not recommended if you live more than a short drive from the beach!)

I still like a nice dry suit, so I roll my suit up between two old towels and squash the excess water out by walking over it - far quicker than one of those hangair gadgets.

As for boots and gloves, like Danny said, they don't really dry in the winter and it's not a prob for those fleeting seconds of discomfort before paddling out.
Archy_is_God

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:01 pm

I find the smell of putting my boots on more of an issue than the cold. The threat of puking is one open nostril away.

Hows about this ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181065417507? ... 1423.l2649
sorry if you're the 1 and only current bidder. :p
Poo Stance

Postby WP101 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Poo Stance wrote:I find the smell of putting my boots on more of an issue than the cold. The threat of puking is one open nostril away.

for the 1000,000,000th time!! mouthwash!! :lol:
WP101

Postby swiggy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 am

Archy_is_God wrote:
swiggy wrote:
A few guys round here tip a hot water bottle/flask of warm water into their suits before putting them on.

I do this whenever its cold.

I always find it takes 2 days for a suit to dry in winter, unless you are cranking the heating or something. And boots take 2 weeks to dry at least.. So most of the time its going to be wet.
swiggy

Postby WP101 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:
Neoprene is not alive :roll: preeeecious
:lol: :lol:

dermo909 wrote:
How certain are we that this stuff does'nt kill neoprene?

Semi conclusive quote taken from E-How;

Neoprene is the trade name given to synthesized polychloroprene by the DuPont corporation. It is resistant to chemicals because of its inert chemical formula that renders the compound stable when acted upon by outside forces.
Resistances
Neoprene does degrade when exposed to natural elements such as sun, ozone, temperature changes, burning and weather. Designed as a substitute for rubber, the formula does not react to oil and many other chemicals. Further, it exhibits a resistance to physical wear from flexing or twisting.
WP101

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:06 pm

Against popular belief, wee wee doesn't hurt your suit, either :-|
Archy_is_God

Postby Black » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Don't forget apart from wear & tear on neoprene its normally the stitching and glue that fail, not the neoprene itself.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby cameltoe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Heat can cause neoprene to deteriorate, so although the radiator is a good method don' t expect them to last all that long.

Xcel even say rinse with cold water for this reason.

Stick them on the washing line to air out for a couple hours.
cameltoe

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 pm

cameltoe wrote:Stick them on the washing line to freeze for a couple hours.

Fixed it :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby smoothglide » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 am

Haven't read all the posts to be honest, being a bit lazy and it's sunday like.

I knocked this up from B&Q off cuts, cost about £1.83 :wink: http://instagr.am/p/Wq7iiqJcTF/ (think this link will work)

Works a treat
smoothglide

Previous

Return to Wetsuits and gear