board lock

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

board lock

Postby coops2951 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:18 am

can anyone tell me the best form of board lock for boards that are placed on a roof rack,
coops2951

Re: board lock

Postby matt_96 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:13 pm

I have not used them but thought I would suggest them, might be useful to you?

http://store.magicseaweed.com/SPT-Locka ... /Item/191/
matt_96

Postby cjs » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm

They are about the best out there but will only put off a thief,lost the key to my last set and needed a surf, so cut them with a good hack saw in less than a minute best thing is to put them in a car or van
cjs

Postby kingkahuna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:10 pm

The best board locks for the top of your car ammount to increased emotional security at best. If someone wants your board, its gone. Has anyone here ever had a board stolen from the top of their car? I've left boards on the beach, in the back of trucks, etc, and no one has ever stolen mind. It may be naive on my part, but I like to think another surfer won't rob me.
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." - Genghis Kahn
kingkahuna

Postby Qasiel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 am

I doubt it'll be another surfer who would rob you, much rather some opportunist looking for a quick buck. A few bob for 2 minutes work getting a board off your car roof sounds like really easy money unfortunately.
Qasiel

Postby Chris F » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 pm

matt_96 wrote:I have not used them but thought I would suggest them, might be useful to you?

http://store.magicseaweed.com/SPT-Locka ... /Item/191/

I've got a set and never had a board nicked. Even when parked outside Tesco in Inverness! As someone said though, if someone wants them, they will have them. How long before every surboard gets chipped? (as in for tracking, not damaged!)
Chris F

Postby Black » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:37 pm

I have an idea for a way of locking boards onto existing roof bars, its fairly simple & a handy person could probably make it themselves. Just thought of a second way too as I type. Can't be too difficult surely?
Never growing old together...
Black

Return to General