van or estate?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: van or estate?

Postby Chris F » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 am

If he says it's faultless is he prepared to give any warranty? Get him to put money behind his words.

What's the mileage?
Chris F

Postby defever » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 pm

Mileage is 130,000+. All required servising done as per service book and stamped.

I always don't know how to persuade seller to put money in their words; I ask for "any faults (mechanically, electrically, and cosmetically) you found during your inspection", "any MOT advisory", "any problem in foreseeable future." They muffle around on what they find in their inspections, and they cop-out along the lines of "well, we can't say what's going to happen in the future, I'm not a prophet/forturne teller." Tricky...
defever

Postby WP101 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm

all advisories are logged http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/j ... equest.jsp maybe of some use. most dealers arent interested in 100k+ cars
WP101

Postby defever » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:10 pm

Thank you WP101. The link will definitely come in handy, I'll chase the dealer for V5C number or MOT numbers.
defever

Postby well-chilled-out » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm

The AG tidal road, ha ha the Mazda scoffs in the face of the high tide...Mazda recently filled with water up to seat level during floods.Simply opened door to drain & sat on a dry plastic bag to get to work....Still spraying 'Oust' ( Summer berries preferred) to mask slight smell of rot....Is it just me or would it be GENIUS for Sex Wax to produce air sprays (bugger the ozone)..Who wouldn't spray those in their vans ?
well-chilled-out

Postby WP101 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

well-chilled-out wrote:The AG tidal road, ha ha the Mazda scoffs in the face of the high tide...Mazda recently filled with water up to seat level during floods.Simply opened door to drain & sat on a dry plastic bag to get to work....Still spraying 'Oust' ( Summer berries preferred) to mask slight smell of rot....Is it just me or would it be GENIUS for Sex Wax to produce air sprays (bugger the ozone)..Who wouldn't spray those in their vans ?

The hilux of compact camper vans 8)

not quite a spray but.. http://store.magicseaweed.com/Sex-Wax-A ... Item/1298/
WP101

Postby well-chilled-out » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:04 am

Yeah, used the hangy things but they don't last long...Just think, take a dump,whilst reading your favourite surf mag & complete the sesh with a spray of coconut sex wax ..The more I think about it the more I think this is a winner.....Would you prefer mountain dew fabreze or very berry sex wax -no contest...This is MY idea Sex WAX..consider this post as proof of copyright as verified by hundreds of Seaweed users...This is my royalty pension pot dudes...Happy days.
well-chilled-out

Postby WP101 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:41 am

well, my car smells like an elephant seal's fanny fart so i think you'd be onto a winner
WP101

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 am

WP101 wrote:well, my car smells like an elephant seal's fanny fart so i think you'd be onto a winner

you've just disturbed my head on a beautiful winter morning :shock: :puke:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby defever » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Hello beautiful!

Thanks all for your input in helping me decide my next car!

The sea is flat as Kate Moss' chest, but I'm stoked!
defever

Postby WP101 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Nice, looks great, whats the spec?
WP101

Postby defever » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:33 pm

1999 B5 platform 1.9L TDI SE 110bhp. 132,000miles, FSH, MOT just done this week (cambelt and fuel hose done), full service due soon.

On-board computer which tells me everything (even when to stop for a rest!), air-con, real-time mpg, temp, electric everything!! This might sound normal but driving an '98 hatchback (i.e. engine, some gears, some metal, and some cloth) to this is like controlling a spacecraft! Mind you this is '99, 14years old, but it's still comparable, if not more advanced, than today's mediocre cars!

Boot is perhaps not as big as I expected (big wheel arches) but plenty space to lie down (and rear seats fold down flat!), which is one of the main reasons I wanted a van or estate. Passat definitely has a bigger boot space. Putting a 6'0" board by the rear seat was bit tricky, I instantly noticed that the roof was much lower than my Rover. So I had to take the headrests from the rear seats (improves rear view a lot!). Alternatively, I can fold down the double seat on driver's side to simply slide the short board from the boot.

As with my long board, I don't have to fold down all seat (like I had to with my Rover) to put 9'0" through passenger side seat (reclined) and foot space, which is brilliant because I can have a passenger at the back seat (behind the driver's seat, only for local drive). Plenty of space for my kits and other stuff, loads of practical pockets everywhere, which is quite convenient.

The build is amazing. So solid, no rattle, no flimsy bodge job trims, everything is structured well. Drive is powerful (never drove anything bigger than 1.4L let alone turbo) yet very comfortable. I never dreamed of going any faster than 65mph (Rover usually starts to scream and rattle), but with this I'm easily going 70mph without feeling like it's doing around 50mph.

I think I'll be with this car for quite a long time. Yes, it's 14y.o. car so it's not perfect, I need to DIY repair rear washer, LCD display pixel, and few cosmetic stuff but all in all, definitely a very well kept condition for its age.

Thanks again for all your comments, wouldn't have decided to put my hard earned money on this without all the 2p advice from everyone. Very much appreciated. When you do see a car like the above at a your near-by beach, please don't wax my windscreen...
defever

Postby greenheaven » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Ive a c5 estate - comfy as - 55 - 60 to the gallon has rails but can fit a 9ft 10 in it !! Even has the split glass tail lift to slide your board out best surf vehicle ever !!
greenheaven

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 pm

greenheaven wrote:Ive a c5 estate - comfy as - 55 - 60 to the gallon has rails but can fit a 9ft 10 in it !! Even has the split glass tail lift to slide your board out best surf vehicle ever !!

my mate just bought one of them - massive .............................. only problem I've got is it's French engineering - bomb proof diesel units though
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby SurfOnYourBum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 am

ATTMFKH wrote:
greenheaven wrote:Ive a c5 estate - comfy as - 55 - 60 to the gallon has rails but can fit a 9ft 10 in it !! Even has the split glass tail lift to slide your board out best surf vehicle ever !!

my mate just bought one of them - massive .............................. only problem I've got is it's French engineering - bomb proof diesel units though

French cars are fine as long as you sell them before they fall apart, hold on to them a little too long though and you are fekked.
Sit Down and Shred!
SurfOnYourBum

Postby WP101 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 am

agree with the above(s) there deffo not designed to be kept for more than 3 years, peugeot are just getting worse, theres a guy i know who works for arnold clark peugeot, all he does is change flywheels and clutches all day long on 2 or 3 yr old cars
WP101

Postby Chris F » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:20 am

I considered a C5 a few years back, they are enormous. Missus wasn't happy driving such a big car though, we went for a pug 306 instead - bomprooof diesel unit, the rest of the car was useless though.
Chris F

Postby WP101 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:48 am

Chris F wrote:I considered a C5 a few years back, they are enormous. Missus wasn't happy driving such a big car though, we went for a pug 306 instead - bomprooof diesel unit, the rest of the car was useless though.

i remember the old 305 diesel vans, they were awesome, all the farmers had them, treated them like shite.
WP101

Postby defever » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:34 pm

I think they should keep their own business in a wine cellar, let them do what they do best...
defever

Postby reserves » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 pm

Vw Touran is working for me :)

Longboard fits in comfortably with passenger seat tilted back. Plenty of room if needed for sleeping, back seats can be folded / removed. 2.0 TDI so plenty of poke. Average 40mpg, towards 50mpg on motorway. Got a 2003 model for just under £3k.

reserves

Postby WP101 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:15 pm

All this talk of TDI's. One massively important thing, DONT think they will run forever without regular oil changes (10k) the turbos need good clean oil or they will die. Dont go for long interval VW servicing (20k) its a risk not worth taking.
WP101

Postby Philshoz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:00 pm

WP101 wrote:All this talk of TDI's. One massively important thing, DONT think they will run forever without regular oil changes (10k) the turbos need good clean oil or they will die. Dont go for long interval VW servicing (20k) its a risk not worth taking.

I change the oil on my T4 1.9td on 6k. Always top quality oil 10 40.

It is so easy, except for dropping the sump guard to do the filter which is a pain.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby WP101 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Philshoz wrote:I change the oil on my T4 1.9td on 6k. Always top quality oil 10 40.

It is so easy, except for dropping the sump guard to do the filter which is a pain.

im around 8 to 10k, depends how hard you drive it as well, undertray is a pita, lots of tie wraps needed
WP101

Postby Leedsol » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:43 pm

reserves wrote:Vw Touran is working for me :)

Longboard fits in comfortably with passenger seat tilted back. Plenty of room if needed for sleeping, back seats can be folded / removed. 2.0 TDI so plenty of poke. Average 40mpg, towards 50mpg on motorway. Got a 2003 model for just under £3k.

Loving mine too, got a 2010 one, 2l, 140bhp. Best car I've ever driven after initially being sceptical about its rather dull exterior. Get over 50mpg too on motorway trips easy. Easy to camp in and change in. Prefer the drive over the 57 T5 I had, lot more responsive and also fuel efficient.

Wife's getting a Ford C-Max grand next week, will see what's that like on trips. Another uninspiring design but if it drives anything like our focus then should be pleasant.
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby defever » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Just been surfing on the web to see if oil change is DIY-able for non-mechanic, common drivers... It's just draining the old oil, swapping the oil filter, and adding a new oil! Good quality 4.5-5.0L full synth oil (£35.00) and a filter (under £10.00) and say, 0.5hr work and done?! That's easily £90.00-100.00 at a garage, no?

I might give it a go myself for the next interim...

And out of curiosity, full servicing is as above with addition of pollen (£10.00), air (£10.00), and fuel (£15.00) filter (which is basically locating the filters and replacing them) and washer liquid... and that costs £160-200 at a garage.

WOW

or am I missing something very important??
defever

Postby Black » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 am

defever wrote:or am I missing something very important??

I suspect you are missing the verb! :wink:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby defever » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:14 am

Aha, yes indeed.

I forgot to consider the time and tools required to complete the task.

Also I guess an evidence (invoice, stamp, etc) of servicing is very important when it comes to selling (although I intend to keep mine until it has not market value).

Not as simple as I thought then. But would be nice to be able to understand/do Haynes "two/three star level" maintenance.

Verb is the word!
defever

Postby Philshoz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 am

defever wrote:Just been surfing on the web to see if oil change is DIY-able for non-mechanic, common drivers... It's just draining the old oil, swapping the oil filter, and adding a new oil! Good quality 4.5-5.0L full synth oil (£35.00) and a filter (under £10.00) and say, 0.5hr work and done?! That's easily £90.00-100.00 at a garage, no?

I might give it a go myself for the next interim...

And out of curiosity, full servicing is as above with addition of pollen (£10.00), air (£10.00), and fuel (£15.00) filter (which is basically locating the filters and replacing them) and washer liquid... and that costs £160-200 at a garage.

WOW

or am I missing something very important??

You must have a go at changing it yourself, you will save loads.

Why do garages think they can charge for topping up your washer bottle (things I hate!!!!)

When we sell this place I have a few grand earmarked for one of these. Definately NOT surf friendly........but I want one.
Mercedes-SLK.jpg
Mercedes-SLK.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 292 times
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby reserves » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 am

Sure I'll get some grief for this but might be worth checking out.

I used to own a Audi S4, the oil used was super expensive (Mobil 1). I got a tip from the Audi forums that it was cheaper to take it to Kwik Fit than to buy the oil itself, they use the manufacturers recommended oil.

At the time buying the oil was £50, kwik fit would do a oil & filter change for a fixed price of £39.00. The only downside was that they didn't use a genuine Audi filter.

I have no idea how this works price wise out for TDI engines and I personally hate Kwik Fit! However surely even they can't mess up an oil change? might be worth getting a price for those without the tools / time to do the change but who do not want to be ripped off by VW etc. Obviously be ready to say no to the rest of the recommendations they'll have (new tyres / brakes etc...)
reserves

Postby Chris F » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 am

I've heard of some "service centres" taking the lazy route and instead of emptying the sump via the plug on the bottom, they use a vacuum pump and suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. If they do this you get most of the oil out, but all the gunk which settles at the bottom of the sump gets left behind and will immediately contaminate the new fill of oil as soon as it is put in. If oil is drained by the sump plug a lot of this gunk drains out.

Defever, if you intend doing some servicing yourself, get a haynes manual. either 2nd hand off ebay, or new. When the car does eventually die you can sell the manula for pretty close to what you paid for it. And AFAIK basic servicing on VW / Audi just needs a set of ordinary tool; allen keys, socket set etc.
Chris F

PreviousNext

Return to General