pumpkin seed in hollow waves

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

pumpkin seed in hollow waves

Postby WP101 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 pm

id like to take one board to nw sumatra in march ( :D ) never been before, the choices, a 6 5" spider,kinda semi-fish about 10yr old, and a newish 6 4" pumpkin seed. spiders a swallow tail and the pump is rounded pin. im thinking the pumpkin seed. any opinions?
WP101

Re: pumpkin seed in hollow waves

Postby swiggy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:34 pm

Its probably not going to be that big in march, but waves will still be nice shape with some power, not unlike north coast scotland really (thats where you surf right?). If it goes well at north coast reefs it will go well in sumatra, but you can ride smaller boards over there due to lack of wetsuit + perfect waves

Personally I would take a straight-up shortboard if you are going to sumatra with just one board, probably a squash tail in march, a rounded pin in peak swell season. But I'm not that imaginative with boards :lol:
swiggy

Postby WP101 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 pm

cheers swiggy. the closest thing i have to a regular short board is the swallowtail spider but ive recently had to stick the nose back together so im not sure of its durability.
i found this thread http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/pumpki ... h-to-epoxy
the posts from paul cannon/royal sound promising.

ive heard conflicting opinions on when the season is for this area, the local guy who im staying with says oct-march, not too bothered really though.
WP101

Postby swiggy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:08 pm

how come just one board? Durability matters more then I guess

I think oct-march is better winds, but swell is bigger in our summer
swiggy

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Do you mean right up NW mainland Sumatra or the islands?

If you're heading right up the top,where I think you are going, a standard shortie or whatever you use in chesthigh to slightly overhead surf will do just fine. I would steer clear of a wide tail as there's still some juice and the most consistent wave is bowly, rather than facey and down the line.
Archy_is_God

Postby WP101 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:45 am

im taking my mates board in my double bag so we can split the charges.
Archy_is_God wrote: Do you mean right up NW mainland Sumatra or the islands?
im going to aceh on the mainland
Archy_is_God wrote: If you're heading right up the top,where I think you are going, a standard shortie or whatever you use in chest high to slightly overhead surf will do just fine. I would steer clear of a wide tail as there's still some juice and the most consistent wave is bowly, rather than facey and down the line.

WP101

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I thought that's where you meant, I just didn't want to name it!

It's a good time to go, you'll have fun.

Remember to wear a shirt while walking about. You'll see others doing it but it's pretty disrespectful... It ain't like Ball or even southern Sumatra
Archy_is_God

Postby WP101 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:I thought that's where you meant, I just didn't want to name it!

It's a good time to go, you'll have fun.

Remember to wear a shirt while walking about. You'll see others doing it but it's pretty disrespectful... It ain't like Ball or even southern Sumatra

Cool, thanks ill remember that :D
What do you reckon board wise?

or this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230919369676? ... 1438.l2649 ? bit rough around the edges but its all there. im 5'10 13st
WP101

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Stick with the seed, it'll go great.

Who you staying with? You have a mate living up there? Believe it or not, there is a great pizza restaurant in a nearby village run by a local guy - well worth a visit.
Archy_is_God

Postby WP101 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Stick with the seed, it'll go great.

Who you staying with? You have a mate living up there? Believe it or not, there is a great pizza restaurant in a nearby village run by a local guy - well worth a visit.

thanks again man, thats what i wanted to hear!

im staying at Yudi's Place, i know him and his mrs Sarah, been hoping to go out one day for ages, turning 40 in april so my mrs is treating me :-D . you know the place?
WP101

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Yeah, I met them both a few years back - Sarah from's your neck of the woods maybe? I know she's from Scotland, but can't remember where... He's a top bloke too and probably one of the happiest people I've met! He may not remember me as I was only up there for a short while, but I know he still stays in contact with my mates Nick and Ciaren. Say hello for us!
Archy_is_God

Postby WP101 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 pm

Yep, shes from round here.
Archy_is_God wrote:Yeah, I met them both a few years back - Sarah from's your neck of the woods maybe? I know she's from Scotland, but can't remember where... He's a top bloke too and probably one of the happiest people I've met! He may not remember me as I was only up there for a short while, but I know he still stays in contact with my mates Nick and Ciaren. Say hello for us!
will do :-D
WP101

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design