van or estate?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: van or estate?

Postby WP101 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:43 pm

^^you probably cant go wrong using haynes or bentley manuals for VW

make sure engines warm before draining oil. dont overfill
Philshoz wrote:When we sell this place I have a few grand earmarked for one of these. Definately NOT surf friendly........but I want one.Mercedes-SLK

now theres a man confident in his sexuality :lol:

Buy genuine oils and filters, bugger all price difference really and its a good idea to get your face known at the dealer, (the parts guys are pretty cool i find :D) as theres some parts they alone supply, you will get a discount eventually, i get 15% and im not in the trade and it saves the risk of fitting shitty chinese parts that will fail prematurely.

Cant believe kwit fit are still around..total effin cowboys!! avoid!
WP101

Postby defever » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Yup Haynes Manual for my new car is on its way. I've already fixed my rear wiper jet with help from an Audi enthusiast forum and will be tackling my door drop and LCD display on the dashboard. They'll take some of my time but will certainly keep my back pocket warm.

I'd be keen to do oil change myself if its just drain, change filter, and re-fill. Doesn't sound too technical and it sounds doable on a quiet road-side/car park with a purchase of a jack stand and an ordinary box of tools.

For full service, I may ask a garage so the service will be "officially" evidenced and they can flag any problems with a car. I might also invest on "on-board disgnostics" software to check anything wrong with the car PRIOR to visiting a garage so I don't get lured into their Jedi Mind Grease Trick...he.
defever

Postby reserves » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:55 pm

defever wrote: I might also invest on "on-board disgnostics" software to check anything wrong with the car PRIOR to visiting a garage so I don't get lured into their Jedi Mind Grease Trick...he.

I purchased the proper cable for this http://www.ross-tech.com/ expensive (around £250) but it's been worth it for me.

Happy to lend it out if anyone needs to scan their VW / Audis
reserves

Postby defever » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:07 pm

reserves wrote:Happy to lend it out if anyone needs to scan their VW / Audis

Thanks, that's a very kind offer. There's a geographical list on one of the million VW forums of guys with diagnostic cables and I'm sure there's someone with it just down my road.

Is it easy to use? I'm keen on investing it (maybe not for now as I haven't really looked into it yet), but I have Mac instead of Windows...
defever

Postby WP101 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 pm

ive had my blue £15 ebay cable and vcds lite for 10 years now..done me fine
WP101

Postby reserves » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:09 am

WP101 wrote:ive had my blue £15 ebay cable and vcds lite for 10 years now..done me fine

Good point, thinking back I needed the full version to fit Cruise Control & Sat Nav to mine, the lite version is good for general scanning.

Nice to support the guys making the software by buying a genuine cable though.
reserves

Previous

Return to General